Name: Poe
Class: samurai
Race: human
Alignment: Follower
Inventory: leather armor with gloves, Longbow
Gold: -8 + (-4 for interest)
Specials:Connection
Skills List: Planner,Resolution,Fearless
Biography: A drifter with a single friend a single belief and a single rule “Dont talk about your beliefs” sole Inheritor of a special style not of swordsmanship but of total combat
Physical Description: Physically strong even intimidating not overly large but obviously strong gruff
--Height: 5:11
--Weight: 235 lbs
--Eyes: blue
--Hair: brown
--Skin: tan
--Special Markings: two scars not particularly deep along his cheek and diagonal across his torso
--Dress: In anything available [/b]
Specials Description:
Conviction:Poe raises the sword high above his head at a reasonable distace IE 3-4 feet about far enough to bring the sword down and makes a fast dash towards the opponent bringing hilt down against their skull (flourish Medium)

Perfect focus: For two posts Poe puts his entire focus into his actions while this flusters him a little bit It improves reaction time and overall speed and strength (special weak)

Skills Description:
Planner:Do you really think combat is the right time to find your strategy, Poe doesn’t prior to a confrontation as well as during(Simple exchanges of blows only including non-range confrontation) Poe maps out as many possible attacks counterattacks and counter, counterattacks so that he can react without thinking. This skill greatly improves his reflexes when responding to non special/creative attacks by his enemy this. (Skill weak)

Resolution: When In combat Poe’s resolution is so strong that he will be able to receive near mortal wounds without losing consciousness from blood loss or giving up the fight. All physical ailments remain (skill weak)

Out of Body:Poe's mind lives above the combat not beyond sensation but reacts on instinct (not independent of planning) leaving his mind free to examine and react on a more grand scale. (medium catalyst)

Disadvantages:
--Jack of All Trades, Master of None: The human is proficient at everything, but can never be the absolute best. Dwarven fighters will always be more proficient fighters, High elf wizards will always be more proficient wizards, Orcs more proficient Berserkers.. etc.

Advantages:
--Human adaptation skill: This is a skill that is based off of one of a few things: Prior profession, prior habitat, prior hobbies. This skill is freelance, which allows the use of one's biography to buff their character. Also, adding weaknesses to the skill increase its effect. (See Ex2)
Custom Inventory:

--------------------------------

--Battle Records--

Wins:
Ties:
Losses:

Battle Listing:
okay if i could get some ideas on current skills/specials

Last edited by Region on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Poe my second attempt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:36 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

thanks for the move.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:41 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

All right, good to see that you're not giving up. I admire the persistence!

So, let's take a crack at things....

Quote:
Connection: When Poe stare's into the eyes of his adversary he sees a glimpse into their consciousness and gets an idea of there next immediate movement. he can see no more than 5 seconds of movement. This effect is regardless of time between movement. (weak special 1X)

An interesting idea, but I'm not totally sure where you get this ability from. You're not a mind reader of any sort, so how can you do this? A good try by only putting 1 use on it - but no basis means no dice.

Skills Description:

Planner:Do you really think combat is the right time to find your strategy, Poe doesn’t prior to a confrontation(Simple exchanges of blows only including non-range confrontation) Poe maps out as many possible attacks counterattacks and counter, counterattacks so that he can react without thinking. This skill greatly improves his reflexes when responding to non special/creative attacks by his enemy this only takes effect after a lull in combat the greater the longer the pause the greater the effect. (Skill weak)

An interesting idea - however, the idea of longer pause = higher effect isn't really going to fly for a weak, though I do like the concept.

Resolution: When In combat Poe’s resolution is so strong that he will be able to receive near mortal wounds without losing consciousness or giving up the fight. All physical ailments remain

OK, the whole "without losing consciousness" is something that you really don't have control over. Believe me, I was in the hospital - when you get sedated, you're done. However, the "not giving up" is totally fair game. I like this idea of mental toughness; just remember that your brain isn't going to stop you from bleeding to death.

Fearless: Poe is quite literally fearless perhaps out of vanity a belief of invincibility. Even Poe himself couldn’t tell you. Most people are limited by their fear when performing damn near suicidal stunts or when they are confronted with a fatal attack. he can ram himself upon his into his opponents blade full speed. Or blocking a blade with his shin bone before it reaches a crucial artery. (Skill Weak)

OK...this works, but I'm not sure what you're going to gain out of this. I think that you might be better off putting this in your bio or just having it as part of Poe's personality. "Resolution" gives you some kind of effect, but nothing is really shown here as a result of that as far as in-battle effects.

And as you mentioned, you do have a few specials to use up, I recommend looking at Nighttime Waters character sheet for inspiration (just don't steal the stuff...), as well as echoinrain and Boy Killa :) The last one isn't a samurai, but for some reason, it rings as similar to what you'd like to be doing here. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Just a few ideas + notes from me:

Quote:
Inheritor of a special style not of swordsmanship but of total combat

it seems like your going to be a Samurai without a sword or any melee weaon for that. you may want to think of being a MA (without Ki) also remember a long bow is large and hard to use quickly, its going to be more of a hindrance in close combat. without seeing more i don't know here your going to be going with this. You maybe going to use a style where he can fight in close combat with his bow hitting people with it. If your going for more ranged based you may want to be a ranger though.

Quote:
Connection: When Poe stare's into the eyes of his adversary he sees a glimpse into their consciousness and gets an idea of there next immediate movement. he can see no more than 5 seconds of movement. This effect is regardless of time between movement. (weak special 1X

add in your own fluff, but this could work if you had something like after many fights poe has learned to recognise the look in someone’s eye just before they strike. If poe is looking into an opponents eyes he is able to see the see the slightest change in there pupil dilation and know they are about to attack. It gives him just that little bit more time to react to on coming attacks. [x2 or x3]

I'm not a Mod its just my opinion if that’s the kind of special you was actually going for.

Also I would suggest having line spaces between specials and skills just to break them up and easier to read.

Katherine Darksmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:36 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

I feel that the fact that the samurai Is considered the best with equipment He should be able to wield the long bow quite well. this was my reasoning anyway. Im trying to cover all my base's I want my charecter to Take the Jack of all trades and run with it. So far as the combat I want to fight in Different and interesting ways.like a parry into an eyegouge. I might try shooting my sword out of my longbow. might really fail in fact i would problably RP it as failure. but My charecter is meant to be flexible and creative but calm reasoning and self aware. What I mean by self aware is calculating and aware of surroundings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Specials Description:
Conviction:Poe raises the sword high above his head at a reasonable distace IE 3-4 feet about far enough to bring the sword down and makes a fast dash towards the opponent bringing hilt down against their skull (flourish Medium)
No uses, this isn't really a flourish in fact i don't really see anything 'special' about it unless the dash is actually very fast you could do this without a special.

Quote:
A flourish is a feint attack, that is designed to distract the persons attention from the real blow. Each flourish is an individual skill or special, the starting strength is always medium or higher. An example of a flourish could be: Timid Agression- Medium: The samurai acts as if he is making a timid, careful exploratory slash with his sword, only to change it into an agressive attack thrust or jab the moment it is either blocked, or reaches the intended area of striking

Perfect focus: For two posts Poe puts his entire focus into his actions while this flusters him a little bit It improves reaction time and overall speed and strength (special weak) no uses, for a weak you will get reaction time, speed or strength by a small but noticeable amount not all 3.

Skills Description:
Planner:Do you really think combat is the right time to find your strategy, Poe doesn’t prior to a confrontation as well as during(Simple exchanges of blows only including non-range confrontation) Poe maps out as many possible attacks counterattacks and counter, counterattacks so that he can react without thinking. This skill greatly improves his reflexes when responding to non special/creative attacks by his enemy this. (Skill weak) I don't know about the word greatly, but it seems fine apart from that.

Resolution: When In combat Poe’s resolution is so strong that he will be able to receive near mortal wounds without losing consciousness from blood loss or giving up the fight. All physical ailments remain (skill weak)

Out of Body:Poe's mind lives above the combat not beyond sensation but reacts on instinct (not independent of planning) leaving his mind free to examine and react on a more grand scale. (medium catalyst) this is not a catalyst, A catalyst cannot have an ability in itself it can only allow you to use some form of power or techniques previously impossible for a normal person. Aka: my Image of a Lost Soul allows me to use spiritual energy, thus letting me have specials and skills based on spiritual energy. You are saying here that your catalyst allows his mind to think outside physical combat, this could probably pass as a skill not a catalyst.

its comming along though i can see how you want your character to be its just going to take some work. keep at it =)

Katherine Darksmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:03 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Region wrote:
Name: Poe
Class: samurai
Race: human
Alignment: Follower
Inventory: leather armor with gloves, Longbow
Gold: -8 + (-4 for interest)
Starts with: 4 gold, Leather armor (with basic leather gloves), Tachi
After selling the Tachi for 6 gold, it leaves you with 10. Longbow is 12 gold in cost meaning your gold is at -3

Specials:Connection
Skills List: Planner,Resolution,Fearless

Specials need a number of times of use per battle.
Specials Description:
Conviction: Poe raises the sword high above his head at a reasonable distace IE 3-4 feet about far enough to bring the sword down and makes a fast dash towards the opponent bringing hilt down against their skull (flourish Medium)
Just to be clear, you don't have a sword.. so if you go with this setup of weapon and special your flourish, that which makes up the Samurai, is going to be unable to be used until you get another weapon. I'd suggest changing this unless you're alright with that disadvantage.

Perfect focus: For two posts Poe puts his entire focus into his actions while this flusters him a little bit It improves reaction time and overall speed and strength (special weak)
As was noted by BK, for a weak you get to pick one attribute to improve, not three.

Skills Description:
Planner: Do you really think combat is the right time to find your strategy, Poe doesn’t prior to a confrontation as well as during(Simple exchanges of blows only including non-range confrontation) Poe maps out as many possible attacks counterattacks and counter, counterattacks so that he can react without thinking. This skill greatly improves his reflexes when responding to non special/creative attacks by his enemy this. (Skill weak)
Perhaps for a weak a minor improvement in reflexes.

As mentioned before, you can't exactly function without blood, let alone stay conscious. I would make the changes noted by the moderator above.

Out of Body: Poe's mind lives above the combat not beyond sensation but reacts on instinct (not independent of planning) leaving his mind free to examine and react on a more grand scale. (medium catalyst)
You'll have to change this as BK noted for it's not a catalyst.

Disadvantages:
--Jack of All Trades, Master of None: The human is proficient at everything, but can never be the absolute best. Dwarven fighters will always be more proficient fighters, High elf wizards will always be more proficient wizards, Orcs more proficient Berserkers.. etc.

Advantages:
--Human adaptation skill: This is a skill that is based off of one of a few things: Prior profession, prior habitat, prior hobbies. This skill is freelance, which allows the use of one's biography to buff their character. Also, adding weaknesses to the skill increase its effect. (See Ex2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

You are likely going to have to describe the follower alignment more. It has mechanical outcomes, the choices of pets and the availability of the good and evil jewels. I would imagine, without a proper alignment, you won't be able to get pets until you define what alignment follower is.

If you are intending to have your character evil around other evil characters, and good around good characters, and neutral around neutral characters, you should be neutral. You could use Alignment: Follower(neutral) to describe this. Neutral doesn't always mean not good and not evil, it can also be someone who fluctuates between the two completely, because (assuming its about an even spread between the two) they are still balanced at the end of the day.

Regardless of what you mean by Follower, you should probably mention which of the three core alignments Poe follows most.