It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:28 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Lost in time
Class: Chosen

Sutera's power has grown vastly, Marick's passing allowing her to push past the mental barriers she had forced upon herself in the past. Within her is a great power, stirring from the depth of her soul and rising to strengthen her prowess in battle. This power takes the shape of a dragon tattoo, the jaws of which are visible along the front of her right hand with the tail trailing beneath her clothes and wrapping around her heart.

This has manifested into two distinct properties within the woman:

Spirit of Kohryu: This spectral force allows her to utilize her strength of will and swordsmanship to unleash devastating abilities in the future. [Catalyst, Medium]

Just as a note: This is not something I've made just for the future. Its primary use is to justify my 'oldness' and my specials that use energy that normally Samurai would need a catalyst to perform. This can be seen in the following specials of mine, one of which was based off of the Wizard Class spell Color Beam as a Patch Reward:

Kurai Shibou: Focusing upon the inner power within, both blade and sheathe glow darkly as a sign of the technique, filling them both with it from the body. Bringing both arms back and downward in the direction of the opponent in a cross slash, the energy is taken with the movement into a spiral of darkness, flinging it fast and into an explosive ending upon the targeted place. [1x per battle, medium]

Hikari Sori: Through neutrality comes both sides of the same blade, two parts of the same soul, and twins of the same power within. Harnessing that power and recognizing the inevitable balance, Sutera has come upon the ability to pull energy into herself from her surroundings and use it for a brief amount of time. In this attack, one half of her Rain Camellia, either her sheathe or her blade, takes on a white glow, catching the light around her from any source. Though it appears to merely be a reflection, it is power caught, only released from its prison when she slashes through the air towards the intended target. What comes of this is a bright beam of light, a weapon itself that holds a minor amount of blunt strength behind it, and leaves the opponent with slight disorientation afterwards if struck. [3x per battle, Patch Special]

Going off of the idea that she could perform such things without a catalyst, it is my hope that later on, with a catalyst, I could continue getting 'energy' based specials.


Enlightened: Sutera has felt a change happen to the power that allows her to control the gems she activates. Within each gem lies the energy of its type; Sutera is now able to gather all of the energy, or what is left of it if the gem is partially used, and spend it all at once into a blast she can direct towards an object. [Skill, Strong]

Example: A fire gem is used to make a fire sword for 4 posts. Sutera could gather the remaining 4 posts of energy and blast it at the opponent. The power of the blast is directly related to how many unactivated posts remain of it. A full, unused jewel at 8 posts would create a medium strength blast, where a single post would only be enough to light a camp fire.

The primary use of this skill is to work with SoD, though it is possible to work on its own:

The Swords of Damocles (Kohryu's Talons): As a Samurai, Sutera excels in the use of items and equipment. Specifically, however, she has honed her control over magical gems. This skill allows her to carry and activate jewels without the need for them being placed within a weapon or armor. In doing so, she can manifest its energy into a physical item, a katana, made from compacted mana. This crystal-like sword is as strong as steel and carries the original properties of the gem, though it only lasts as long as any jewel normally would. Obviously this only works for certain jewels and requires a jewel to be activated. Additionally, this permits Sutera to use these special katanas in place of any part of the Rain Camellia in her skills or specials. [3x per battle, strong 'Activated Skill']

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: just south of insanity
At first glance it looks fairly solid, although I will go over it with a fine toothed comb later when I get home.

I like 'Enlightened' it's similar to an idea I have for my MA. Question though does the blast retain the properties of the jewel? Eg. Fire jewel is a fireball blast. Also the intended range of the ability? And finally by blast do you mean like a bolt of energy, a cone, or a wave of energy?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Lost in time
Yes, the blast retains the properties of the jewel, something I have tried to stick with throughout her skills and such. SoD keeps their properties and since she is a master of equipment, I have tried to keep the original bits of the jewels as close to what they were intended in the beginning, just changing how those properties could be perceived or used.

And the definition of blast. Not a wave, so I am leaning more towards bolt or cone. I also hadn't thought of a range, honestly, as none of my specials have a range. I do not feel a specified range is necessary since most abilities do not have them. Are you thinking it should have a range? The blasts make me think of Hikari Sori, which also doesn't have a range and hasn't had any issues so far.

Edit: Actually I figure 300meters is a good range! That way if there is ever a bear going to eat my face, chilling by a stream 300meters away, I can blast his face off \o/ approved?! :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:06 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:15 pm
Posts: 3609
Location: ...
Both of those are interesting concepts.

A cone of fire, a cone of ice, a cone of earth, a cone of lightning, a cone of energy, and a cone of poison.

Versus...

A blast of fire, a blast of ice, a blast of earth, a blast of lightning, a blast of energy, and a blast of poison.

Hmm.

I would say 15 feet would be fine, dissipating in strength (but increasing in area) with distance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:27 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 am
Posts: 680
Range for the cone sounds good at 15 feet to me. Blast doesn't need a range. Like every other ranged special on DI, it doesn't need a limit as it has an inherent one - further distances means more time for someone to see it coming and move. Or not move. Then they deserve it. :P.

I'm still waiting to see the sword made of good. And now a blast of neutral energy. Makes your opponent go 'Meh...' And feel apathetic for 8 posts if it hits, right?


Related new idea, emo jewel. :P

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Lost in time
I would like to choose at the time of battle whether its a cone or blast. I'd be alright with a cone having a range of 15 feet. Blasts not so much.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: just south of insanity
Beams and bolts I don't have an issue with ranged as they are focused small in radius and hence easier to dodge. Waves/walls/cones, like say my characters wind strike that cover a large aoe should be somewhat more limited. If you focus the same energy into a wave/wall of force as a beam/bolt than the wave would run out of juice quicker.

Primarily it is for SOD but can be used on its own. During SOD the blast would originate from the sword what about on its own? Can you just manifest a blast without warning or must you fire it from your hands?

Secondly this does border on an active skill but I'm inclined to allow it so long as there is a written restriction on how often it can be used. ie. Once per post. Don't want to create an unwritten loophole that would allow you to fire off every jewel in your disposal at once.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:15 pm
Posts: 3609
Location: ...
I believe she means to consume the sword in the attack. So she'll wait 4 posts into her fire sword.. "draw it back into her hand" then blast it out in a cone or bolt of flame.

Also, I think it means that she doesn't have to make it into a sword in order to do it. She'll pull out an unused energy jewel and blast an arc of arcane power towards her enemy.

You're right though, it could be considered an activated skill. Would it be better as a special or something?

Gotta' admit though, seeing her consume every jewel known to man and blast it in ONE, FINAL attack? Pretty impressive. =P

I imagine it kinda like Goku's Kamehameha Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: just south of insanity
of_shattered_origins wrote:
I believe she means to consume the sword in the attack. So she'll wait 4 posts into her fire sword.. "draw it back into her hand" then blast it out in a cone or bolt of flame.
That's what I meant.
Also, I think it means that she doesn't have to make it into a sword in order to do it. She'll pull out an unused energy jewel and blast an arc of arcane power towards her enemy.
That was my point, it doesn't state that it just says she was able you use it to cast a bolt. As you always said to me clarification is key.
You're right though, it could be considered an activated skill. Would it be better as a special or something?
I'm fine with it as a skill tbh. The activation comes f4om the jewel itself in my opinion. I would state that 4 posts remaining would be the cut off point any less than that and there isn't enough energy remaining to fire off.

Gotta' admit though, seeing her consume every jewel known to man and blast it in ONE, FINAL attack? Pretty impressive. =P

I imagine it kinda like Goku's Kamehameha Wave.

[color=purple]I think I'll restrict this with the same rules as all other jewels, only 2 jewels can be active at anyone time so only 2 jewels can be activated for this skill at any point in time, allowing you to do a frostfire blast if you wanted. However using two in a post would leave sutera drained of energy temporarily. Sound fun?[/quote]

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:09 am
Posts: 1457
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Does Sutera have any Speed/Strength Gems? Would a strength blast be a very strong force or a blast that weakens their strength? And would a speed blast be really fast or slow the opponent?

_________________
Kylar, The Mercenary
"Your mother was a hamster; and your Father smelt of Elderberries!
Now, go away before I am forced to taunt you a second time!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Lost in time
Khan Novaneau wrote:
of_shattered_origins wrote:
I believe she means to consume the sword in the attack. So she'll wait 4 posts into her fire sword.. "draw it back into her hand" then blast it out in a cone or bolt of flame.
That's what I meant.
Also, I think it means that she doesn't have to make it into a sword in order to do it. She'll pull out an unused energy jewel and blast an arc of arcane power towards her enemy.
That was my point, it doesn't state that it just says she was able you use it to cast a bolt. As you always said to me clarification is key.
You're right though, it could be considered an activated skill. Would it be better as a special or something?
I'm fine with it as a skill tbh. The activation comes f4om the jewel itself in my opinion. I would state that 4 posts remaining would be the cut off point any less than that and there isn't enough energy remaining to fire off.

Gotta' admit though, seeing her consume every jewel known to man and blast it in ONE, FINAL attack? Pretty impressive. =P

I imagine it kinda like Goku's Kamehameha Wave.

I think I'll restrict this with the same rules as all other jewels, only 2 jewels can be active at anyone time so only 2 jewels can be activated for this skill at any point in time, allowing you to do a frostfire blast if you wanted. However using two in a post would leave sutera drained of energy temporarily. Sound fun?


It is already restricted by the 2 jewels activated at once rule. I do not see the 'fun' of using two jewels in the same post draining Sutera, unless every other person using jewels is going to have the same restrictions. I'm only allowed to attack once per post anyways. I couldn't use more than one jewel in this skill per post.

Chase - Sutera doesn't have any speed/strength jewels, but a strength jewel would be very strong force, and a speed would go really fast. This is how my swords were meant to work when I first created them.

The cone can have the range, no worries. During the SoD blast the sword would disappear into a ball of fieryness, then be fired. Same with an unused jewel. It would have to be manifested into a ball, then fired. No.. SUTERA MAKES A FIERY BLAST SUDDENLY CONSUME JOSH. She has to create what is to be thrown first.

And as earlier stated, if you need me to put 'Sutera can only use this once per post' in the description, I can.

Edit: Also, I do not want the 'has to be more than 4 posts of the jewel left to use this' if I can help it. Isn't a single post being left equalling to being enough to light a small campfire good enough? What issue are you seeing that could come up with me having the ability to use this skill no matter the posts left? I am already limited to using just two jewels at a time... I guess I don't understand the issue with leaving the range as it is as far as posts 1-8.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 am
Posts: 680
Only being able to do it in the first 4 posts seems rather... Odd. The less posts remaining the less strength it has. No need to over complicate it.

You're adorably biased and are supposed to be working :P get back to work!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:28 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: just south of insanity
Quote:
It is already restricted by the 2 jewels activated at once rule. I do not see the 'fun' of using two jewels in the same post draining Sutera, unless every other person using jewels is going to have the same restrictions. I'm only allowed to attack once per post anyways. I couldn't use more than one jewel in this skill per post.

I wasn't talking about having two jewels active draining Sutera. It was more giving you an option of using the skill to create a more powerful blast using two gems instead of one at a slight cost, still one attack but using the power of two gems to make it more powerful.

Quote:
The cone can have the range, no worries. During the SoD blast the sword would disappear into a ball of fieryness, then be fired. Same with an unused jewel. It would have to be manifested into a ball, then fired. No.. SUTERA MAKES A FIERY BLAST SUDDENLY CONSUME JOSH. She has to create what is to be thrown first.

That is what I figured you were intending to with it and had no issues. However we are creating a precedent here about a new way jewels can potentially be harnessed so it is good to have everything properly clarified.

Quote:
Also, I do not want the 'has to be more than 4 posts of the jewel left to use this' if I can help it. Isn't a single post being left equalling to being enough to light a small campfire good enough? What issue are you seeing that could come up with me having the ability to use this skill no matter the posts left? I am already limited to using just two jewels at a time... I guess I don't understand the issue with leaving the range as it is as far as posts 1-8.

I just don't see that at post 8 there would be anywhere near enough energy left within the jewel to do anything. If 4 posts is the equivalent of a weak, then 1 post is equal to 25% of a weak which is to say basically nothing. I'm surely open to negotiation with this and I'm sure leboyx would like to weigh in as well, but like a said we are creating a precedent here so I'm trying to dial in on exact limitations.

Perhaps filling this out will help with clarification, we'll use a fire jewel as an example
What exactly it is capable of at each post level:
8 Posts:
4 Posts:
2 Posts:
I guess my main concern is it out stripping equivalent strength mage spell.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Lost in time
I'm a little wary about the way you're stating we're creating a precedent a new way jewels can be used. Unless another samurai (because that's the only reason I got SoD and the ability to use jewels like this, was because samurai are a 'master of equipment') comes along with a medal wanting to twist and turn the jewels into different things, I hope we don't see this anywhere else.

I'm amused that you're wanting such exact clarification on this... we are always mentioning as we guide new characters through the approval process that this game -isn't- about exact clarification. Also, there is a range within the example that I'm using for 1 post.

8 posts: explodes on contact causing moderate pain/burns and moderate knockback
4 posts: bursts on contact causing minor pain and minor knockback
2 posts: enough heat to light TWO FIRES; it causes minor pain on contact
1 post: enough heat to light a fire; reaction would be the same as touching a hot stove where your brain goes 'hey dummy, you're burning yourself, stop it'

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:36 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: just south of insanity
Nighttime Waters wrote:
I'm a little wary about the way you're stating we're creating a precedent a new way jewels can be used. Unless another samurai (because that's the only reason I got SoD and the ability to use jewels like this, was because samurai are a 'master of equipment') comes along with a medal wanting to twist and turn the jewels into different things, I hope we don't see this anywhere else.


Its not anything to be wary about, but a precedent is a precedent, I'll use catalysts for an example, originally one person would have been approved for a skill which allowed them to do something outside what their class was capable of doing. That created a precedent from which everyone's catalysts formed now anyone with a medium catalyst can throw around energy attacks. (something I think is a little out of control atm). Someone could potentially get into a similar position as you and do something similar but different so having a precedent is a good thing.

Nighttime Waters wrote:
I'm amused that you're wanting such exact clarification on this... we are always mentioning as we guide new characters through the approval process that this game -isn't- about exact clarification. Also, there is a range within the example that I'm using for 1 post.

8 posts: explodes on contact causing moderate pain/burns and moderate knockback
4 posts: bursts on contact causing minor pain and minor knockback
2 posts: enough heat to light TWO FIRES; it causes minor pain on contact
1 post: enough heat to light a fire; reaction would be the same as touching a hot stove where your brain goes 'hey dummy, you're burning yourself, stop it'

I'm just wary about something with many variations of strength, Look at what Yoz did with the wizard class and its point system when using spells, Defining the upper and lower extremes just makes sense to me that's all.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Maganic Wars Online Role Playing GamesPowered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group