It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Sutera Sasaki's Master Class proposal/discussion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Khan Novaneau wrote:
Nighttime Waters wrote:
I'm a little wary about the way you're stating we're creating a precedent a new way jewels can be used. Unless another samurai (because that's the only reason I got SoD and the ability to use jewels like this, was because samurai are a 'master of equipment') comes along with a medal wanting to twist and turn the jewels into different things, I hope we don't see this anywhere else.

Its not anything to be wary about, but a precedent is a precedent, I'll use catalysts for an example, originally one person would have been approved for a skill which allowed them to do something outside what their class was capable of doing. That created a precedent from which everyone's catalysts formed now anyone with a medium catalyst can throw around energy attacks. (something I think is a little out of control atm). Someone could potentially get into a similar position as you and do something similar but different so having a precedent is a good thing.

This is specifically a master class/medal thing. It's not just a catalyst that allows me to do these awesome things. MCs are designed to let us to 'break the rules' sort of. So no, another person could not just come up with a medium catalyst to throw around energy attacks. The only reason I can do this in the first place is because Sutera is old. I am now using my Master Class to make it more alright in this 'era', something which I've been told by numerous mods I don't have to waste my MC on, but I'm doing it anyways.

Quote:
Nighttime Waters wrote:
I'm amused that you're wanting such exact clarification on this... we are always mentioning as we guide new characters through the approval process that this game -isn't- about exact clarification. Also, there is a range within the example that I'm using for 1 post.

8 posts: explodes on contact causing moderate pain/burns and moderate knockback
4 posts: bursts on contact causing minor pain and minor knockback
2 posts: enough heat to light TWO FIRES; it causes minor pain on contact
1 post: enough heat to light a fire; reaction would be the same as touching a hot stove where your brain goes 'hey dummy, you're burning yourself, stop it'

I'm just wary about something with many variations of strength, Look at what Yoz did with the wizard class and its point system when using spells, Defining the upper and lower extremes just makes sense to me that's all.

So are you satisfied...? You didn't say whether this range was to your liking, since you requested that I specifically do this to show you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 am 

I think we're miscommunicating on the first thing and thinking two different things but that no problem.

I'm satisfied, this is all for bolt type I'm assuming then given the exploding on contact parts. I don't see the 1 post strength translating into cone form very well but I'm happy with what's here.

Now to get Leboyx to give a tick. :)

I also give a tick! --tDb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Ding gave a tick of approval in your post. So I guess Leboy would be the last to look at it unless Yoz pops out of the woodwork somewhere, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Nighttime Waters wrote:
Spirit of Kohryu: This spectral force allows her to utilize her strength of will and swordsmanship to unleash devastating abilities in the future. [Catalyst, Medium]

Just as a note: This is not something I've made just for the future. Its primary use is to justify my 'oldness' and my specials that use energy that normally Samurai would need a catalyst to perform. This can be seen in the following specials of mine, one of which was based off of the Wizard Class spell Color Beam as a Patch Reward:

Kurai Shibou: Focusing upon the inner power within, both blade and sheathe glow darkly as a sign of the technique, filling them both with it from the body. Bringing both arms back and downward in the direction of the opponent in a cross slash, the energy is taken with the movement into a spiral of darkness, flinging it fast and into an explosive ending upon the targeted place. [1x per battle, medium]

Hikari Sori: Through neutrality comes both sides of the same blade, two parts of the same soul, and twins of the same power within. Harnessing that power and recognizing the inevitable balance, Sutera has come upon the ability to pull energy into herself from her surroundings and use it for a brief amount of time. In this attack, one half of her Rain Camellia, either her sheathe or her blade, takes on a white glow, catching the light around her from any source. Though it appears to merely be a reflection, it is power caught, only released from its prison when she slashes through the air towards the intended target. What comes of this is a bright beam of light, a weapon itself that holds a minor amount of blunt strength behind it, and leaves the opponent with slight disorientation afterwards if struck. [3x per battle, Patch Special]

[What confuses me here is what you currently have vs. what you're trying to get. Are these canned examples of what the catalyst would give you? And what is this "patch reward"? I didn't realize we gave out spells for helping w/ patches...]

Enlightened: Sutera has felt a change happen to the power that allows her to control the gems she activates. Within each gem lies the energy of its type; Sutera is now able to gather all of the energy, or what is left of it if the gem is partially used, and spend it all at once into a blast she can direct towards an object. [Skill, Strong]

Example: A fire gem is used to make a fire sword for 4 posts. Sutera could gather the remaining 4 posts of energy and blast it at the opponent. The power of the blast is directly related to how many unactivated posts remain of it. A full, unused jewel at 8 posts would create a medium strength blast, where a single post would only be enough to light a camp fire.

The primary use of this skill is to work with SoD, though it is possible to work on its own:

The Swords of Damocles (Kohryu's Talons): As a Samurai, Sutera excels in the use of items and equipment. Specifically, however, she has honed her control over magical gems. This skill allows her to carry and activate jewels without the need for them being placed within a weapon or armor. In doing so, she can manifest its energy into a physical item, a katana, made from compacted mana. This crystal-like sword is as strong as steel and carries the original properties of the gem, though it only lasts as long as any jewel normally would. Obviously this only works for certain jewels and requires a jewel to be activated. Additionally, this permits Sutera to use these special katanas in place of any part of the Rain Camellia in her skills or specials. [3x per battle, strong 'Activated Skill']

[Regardless of prior discussion, everything must have range. I don't care what shape, color, sound, or age it comes it - you can't just have a blast all over the continent of DI just b/c it takes longer to get there.]

In summary, I believe what you're getting out of this master class is: 1) The ability to incorporate a spell into your specials (still need explanation on where that spell came from); 2) The ability to "detonate" your "jewel weapons" to achieve various effects.

Once my questions re: 1 are answered, I think this should be solid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:38 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

That was back when DC was still around. Ntw was given that. Khan was given Repulsion, and I was given Weltal's Wave.. which is no longer a psionicist spell. It was for helping so much, prior to being moderators-- just members being rewarded for being awesome.

We've also given out small bits of gold as well.

Last edited by of_shattered_origins on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:44 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I just didn't see it on her character sheet. I must've missed it...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:49 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

leboyX wrote:
[Regardless of prior discussion, everything must have range. I don't care what shape, color, sound, or age it comes it - you can't just have a blast all over the continent of DI just b/c it takes longer to get there.]

Can you even name a special that HAS a range? <.< None of yours do...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

A shuriken (from which Jaedin derives several specials) can only really go as far as he can throw (which is, admittedly, far). Arc Slash has always needed line-of-sight to a specific target, and it always detonates on target (Jaedin doesn't just toss 'em around and let them churn up all of DI). Any sword-based special is, obviously, limited by where a sword could reach.

Blink-Attack and Trinix' Jump Rush specials have a more implicit range, but their boundaries and limitations as to what's fair keep them from being abused.

Overall, I think range is either implicit or explicit in these things. Regardless, the fact is that it's there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Oh.. okay. So you don't mean "This has a range of 300m" is needed.. more so something like "This blast has a long range.".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

leboyX wrote:
I just didn't see it on her character sheet. I must've missed it...

No, you hadn't missed it, and since I know I'm fairly good about logging everything that happens on my character sheet correctly, I did some digging for you. The reason the post isn't there is because when we switched from the old forums to the new, not everything changed over. Looking at my sheet, you'll noticed that some of the posts ended up doubled. So I searched and dug around for you. First, here is the post of patch rewards done in August of 2008 stating that I received Hikari Sori, and here is my old character sheet, where you can see that I noted it on page two as the second post.

Also, I started off with Kurai Shibou as my medium special when I first made Sutera. Both of these, Kurai Shibou and Hikari Sori came to be on my character sheet either because I'm an old character, or because of a patch reward. They both use 'energy' as a source, and as the years went by, I made a special that went along with 'energy'. I got it approved (which I know I'll have to do again), but I have not used it. When I won the medal, I started talking with OSO, Yoz and Ding about how to make the fact I even had these two specials -fair- for a samurai to have because I had another special that I wanted to get in the future still related to 'energy'.

So those two specials I listed are things I already have. I'm just trying to justify having received them as rewards in-characterly by using part of my MC for a catalyst. Those aren't examples of what I want, cause I already have them. This is what my goal is to get to from years ago:

Kohryu Tenbatsu: Where there is light, there is dark. And there is always an in between. Harnessing the same type of energy as both Kurai Shibou and Hikari Sori at the same time, Sutera can create a technique of great devastation. One black and one white, sword and sheathe cross to throw a slash of power towards the opponent. This energy manifests in the form of a grey dragon soaring through the air, roaring loudly as it moves. While this might do little in shocking the opponent, the technique's true strength lies in the destruction it leaves when it strikes. It is an explosive ability, the damage and range of which cannot be compared to Kurai Shibou; like the distance between a master and student. [2x per battle, strong]

Now, do you understand? Because this special I want to get is using the same type of energy from those other two specials, I wanted to justify having them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright. So what is with these comments? Have I ever been known to do either of these things:

1) you can't just have a blast all over the continent of DI just b/c it takes longer to get there
2) just toss 'em around and let them churn up all of DI

Because that's what it feels like is being said from your quotes.

I wasn't saying that the skill doesn't need a range, because it 'has' one. Everything has an unwritten, unspoken range, but I believe adding any numbers to it is going to make battles more frustrating for me. I plan on using it like Hikari Sori works, which is the exact same way your Arc Slash goes. These aren't homing missiles. They're spheres of jewel energy, and as I just worked for an entire page to nail down its 'strength', it's not going to last forever. They're launched towards an opponent and they either hit their target or they dissipate cause they run out of oomph.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

And that's fine, NTW. I just wanted to be sure we tacked some kind of range. I don't need exact yardage. Just that it says "it goes as far as it needs to go".

My comments were not speaking of Sutera; they were speaking of Jaedin. I wasn't implying anything about your or your character. I find it's often helpful to draw parallels to Jaedin to draw conclusions from precedents he sets from time to time.

It looks like my questions and concerns have been answered. You're justifying past, "special" specials and gaining access to cool powers w/ jewels and stuff. I feel inclined to provide my tick.

* tick *