It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The end of an era.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:01 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Location: IN THE NAVY!! Yes you sail the seven seas! IN THE NAVY!! Yes you can put your mind at ease!
I... don't know what to say. I hope we could probably all meet up and start again one day, but it seems unlikely. Everyone's moved on. Hell, I don't even know if I could commit to things like 3 day limits for posts anymore. But I sure do miss this. Sometimes I feel guilty, like if I had paid more attention or have been more active, I could have influenced the community in some way. At the very least, I could have had more battles, adventures, and memories. But I spread myself thin back then. Even though I was in middle/high school I had too many obligations and interests that I burned out. Turns out, I mostly wanted to do nothing. It makes me sad to think that, and makes me wish I could have had just a little more of what our little site offered.

I remember joining some time in 2006. Tyzrk (god, it's been a long time since I typed that...) was born, I got away with clearly imbalanced skills, and had fun typing posts in half in hour to the trendy j-pop/rock music at the time. Battles would go typically for about three days before it got ripe for voting, then we'd rinse, repeat. Some time later, when my attention for this site was more faded, things changed. People changed, expectations of quality changed, and I got lost behind. Most of the old friends I had on here had left and disappeared, including pretty much fucking everybody in my clan, rendering what little networking and work I put towards it useless. I'm not bitter. I just missed the old group of quite short friends I had. FarStriker was my rival in the sense that we both were sort of in the same amount of experience, skill, and character power. TDK was a mod and, as I remembered it, was sort of like a father trying to yell at and control us crazy kids. I had two clan members, Pomimies and Magnus, both of whom I liked very much, but only saw them basically once when I first battled them and invited them into the clan, shortly after which they vanished. We never got to do clan fights or anything cool like that... but some times, I sort of wish we did.

But damn, that's taking the old of the old times.

There were new authorities (or maybe they were always there, and I had just noticed), new respects, and I felt somewhat lost. People that came later than I did became more important than me, some even got modded. I'll admit I did get jealous, but they were more involved than I was, and I certainly didn't envy the work that was ahead of them. The two paragraph rule messed with me a lot longer than I wish to admit, and despite having what was considered probably one of the top 3 most powerful characters in the DI universe, I never felt like I ever outmatched anyone. Perhaps it was my humble fairness, or the fairness of the system. Perhaps I just didn't RP aggressively enough and never wanted to feel like I was better than anyone else. That or Tyzrk actually really sucked and I should have had a better vision for her.

OSO, Leboy, and the many others I have faced throughout the years have been great adversaries and friends, keeping me in check while also encouraging me to better myself. I only wish I put in more effort for you guys: three day limits were my only motivation most fights (and even then, three days usually weren't enough), I put crummy efforts into my writing and thoughts, and I honestly felt like after some point in 2008, all of my fights ended in time outs. I am sad to say with this place, I have regrets, and that my favorite battles were my earliest, where I wrote quite a little (but not too little), and trolled Tyzrk a lot by making most of her wounds self inflicted. Reading my stupid jokes in my first few years here bring me joy. Reading the stuff I did later on strangely made me sound like a better writer, but I took a more serious approach, though I still had some memorable 'moments'. I don't know how I stand creatively nowadays; I feel like I wouldn't be able to be competent (or, more competent, as it were) if we were to pick up from where we left.

Anyways, it's been about two years since anything's really happened here (or the second site), literally. It's probably been a good five years or so since we've had good activity. I still have both DI sites on my bookmarks, despite the other one now being completely out of commission. I still check both weekly, foolish as it is. I'm a real nostalgia kind of guy, and it's sad to see that this place now occupies a feeling of nostalgia in my mind.

leboyX wrote:
and then pounce on them. To make sure they know we're dead.

Post subject: Re: The end of an era.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:14 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

You're not alone, buddy :). I checked into the kodrpg site weekly. It's gone down now, which is super sad...I doubt it'll ever get fixed. Sometimes I wish we could all meet in some sort of central location. Some kind of DI-con or some such, y'know? We've all gone our separate ways (graduated, gotten jobs, two people from this site even met and freaking got married!), but this site was pretty much all I did after school back when I was in high school. A lot of good memories were made here; they still live on when I tell my friends about all the stuff that happened on this site (and yes, I do).

I know you're not crying for sympathy, but I just want to point out that I never thought of your writing as inferior to anyone else's. Everyone had different writing techniques. Some would right paragraphs and paragraphs, while others stuck to the modest two; that was ok. I don't think it engendered hostility (except between biller and me...we would go at it, sometimes). I never thought less of the smaller posts (I didn't have to read as much!).

Don't know when I'll stop checking in. Everyone still seems to poke their heads in every now and then. It's nice to know when they do, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:01 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Location: IN THE NAVY!! Yes you sail the seven seas! IN THE NAVY!! Yes you can put your mind at ease!
Good to see you. Not to say that writing style, RP experience, and quality aren't impressive, but I was always more struck in awe in the endurance some people had in keeping with their battles. Being able to post in the frequency of the old days with the quality of the new was something I could never motivate myself to do. That's what disappoints me most about myself, I suppose.

A few more months and we two can claim our 10-years of having accounts here. Only, I thought it'd be a bit more different than this.

leboyX wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:08 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Yeah, rest in piece DI. I mean, I'd still be down to get back into it, since I'm retarded and this website probably gave me more motivation to write than anything else ever has, even though I actually love to write. But yeah, it seems pretty unlikely. I was actually really enjoying playing from Mib's perspective, too. Everyone who was still active had these pretty neat fleshed out characters. I haven't really looked too hard, but I've never found another forum rpg quite like this one. Everything else seems so much less, I don't know, in depth?

I've been on this site longer than you guys are probably aware. For example: DDR, we had the first KOD tournament battle that ever reached post limit. That was pretty cool, I think. And then I, for whatever reason, made like 50 characters and did maybe one battle with each before burning out and vanishing for a while. Looking back at stuff I've written makes me cringe incredibly hard, but at the same time it's kind of interesting to me that I was so into writing when I was like 12-15 years old. Weird.

Anyways, if you guys ever want to start back up or start something new just leave a post somewhere around here and I'll probably show up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

What the - AZ?! That you? Cool. You were brothers with Humphrey, right? I couldn't stand fighting either of your characters; Tyzrk just couldn't handle!

Our tournament battle was infamous in the time that it took. It was probably what drained me of motivation when it came down to me vs Leboy. While it was one for the record books, I don't think I'd ever want to read or repeat that particular battle ever again. Heh.

leboyX wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:19 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Haha, no dude, before even that one. I was wyvern. Fuudo vs tyzrk in the first round. I think I read like three posts of it recently before I just couldn't deal anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:36 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Oh, well, heh, this is embarrassing.

leboyX wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:09 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

ddranimestyle wrote:
... TDK was a mod and, as I remembered it, was sort of like a father trying to yell at and control us crazy kids. ....

Father? I was like, 12 or 13 years old, dude, haha. Making me a mod (a stupid 12 or 13 year old or something) was like, well, it was a really stupid thing to do.. Like, immediately after I became a mod, I started plotting how I could exploit my new found power.. and I quickly ended up with a character who had, like, an indestructible weapon, knew all the magic skills, and a fucking dragon, which I recall bribing my real life friend with 5 bucks or something, to get.

I also never did anything modlike other than spam biller on msn and the mod forums and lookup everyone's IP and found out where they were from and stuff.

Yeah, I was pretty great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

TDK! It's you! :D

Eh, it may not be really "father" like, but I felt like out of the clan, FS and I were the spammers and you tried keeping us in control and remaking our clan page when it hit ten pages. You'd also spam sometimes too, but since you were a mod we thought nothing of it. Good memories and good times were had lol. I remember all of the OP (back in the day we called it "imba"!) stuff you did as a Master of Magic, which I'll never stop referring to as MoM. Turning on a rain spell then shooting lightning was one of the most ridiculous things in this game that you could make someone go against. Then you had to go and get the dragon. People were upset about that!

I think they, at least temporarily, let you get away with all of your stupid stuff because your authority meant you knew how to do good by it. It wasn't like you abused anything either, outside of the system itself. And hey, as a mod, you approved me. And even joined my clan for whatever reason. I'll always remember my first day, posting up Tyzrk's character page thinking "My flaming raid special will never get approved, it's just too crazy." Then you replied with, "Approved, I like your raid skill!" I almost lost my mind, lol. I just skimmed the last "battle" we had too. Turns out the whole thing was us writing as terribly as we possibly could and pissing OSO off a lot. He didn't find it too entertaining, but at the time I certainly thought it was.

It's a shame you didn't stay for longer than you did, but I did enjoy that little time period where you appeared again, they made you remake your character, and you tried fighting, or something. Even now, it's somewhat surprising and exciting to see you on. Good to see an old pal. Were you really 12ish at the time? I was probably in 6th grade when I joined, so I was probably 11 or 12 that time, too. I'm 21 now. I still think about reworking that GODAWFUL story for Tyzrk/Ranoka to be finished one day, since it never really properly introduced your character. But yeah, script format. I still cringe at the thought of it...

Ah, DI in it's (well, sort of) infancy. I really did like what DI became after "the big one", but the old days before just had a special place in my memory banks. That was hugely in part to my clannies. And the simplicity at the time, I guess.

..Not to mention, one of the most memorable moments I've had in the history of DI is kicking Rayuke in the nuts. So uh, there's that.

leboyX wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

I've really missed this place to be honest. I was never one of the core members of the site, I arrived too late for that, but I always felt a real sense of belonging to this site. I've frequently thought about finding another similar site to keep writing/RPing on, and I think I might be doing just that now that I have the time, but I don't think I'm ever going to get that feeling of community like that again :(

It was good while it lasted though! And I totally mirror your idea about how cool it would be to have us all meet up. Unfortunately, for Michael, Chase and I at least, the flight over the pacific ocean might make a catchup a little difficult...

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:09 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I've been involved in other online forums, but never like I was here, and never to this degree. The community here was real close; we all knew one another, to some extent. It's very bittersweet to come back here and revisit what was a very big part of most of my HS life (and some of college, too).

@Sawsaw: Maybe we can all get together on a boat in the ocean? Meet in the middle?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:04 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Hawaii sounds good, yeah? :D

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Not to sound too stuck up my own ass, but I don't think anyone here has as melancholy of a feeling when thoughts of this site pop up in their heads. I still regularly remember most of the prominent people from here, but with that comes remembering what an entitled little shit I was back then. The internet never forgets and this forum stands as a monument to me being a complete moron obsessed with himself. Arguing with others when the game got away from my "vision", whatever the hell it was. Especially when this whole thing basically started with me and Fcpidolo lifting dbz fight scene roleplaying off another site and rearranging it to a fantasy setting. The creative writing and world-building that we did was very cliche and unimaginative, so naturally when I was the one "in charge" and others started encroaching on what I believed I had established, with more mature or, at least, differing viewpoints, I flipped my lid and started acting like a diva.

Still, it's kind of satisfying to see something I helped build still exist, somewhere out there on the internet, just as long as someone remembers it.

So here's one for the homey's that ain't here no more.

Oh, I wish I had a boyfriend! I wish I had a loving man in my life. I wish I had a father, and maybe then I would have turned out right!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:40 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

For what it's worth, Biller, I never really saw you as a mean asshole. Then again, I never really had to confront with you back then. I thought you were a chill, hilarious asshole at the time, and never really took a lot of the argumentive stuff you said as personal. Except maybe to Makendo, or Billy, whatever the hell his first account name was.

Oh well, I think we can all say there's something in this web-tome that we're ashamed of on an individual level. It's been a big part of our lives time-wise, so it's only natural.

And I know it's been quite (or recently?) passed for you, but for me, it's almost my 10 year anniversary date on this site. Geez...

leboyX wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:14 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

ddranimestyle wrote:
And I know it's been quite (or recently?) passed for you, but for me, it's almost my 10 year anniversary date on this site. Geez...

Right?! It's pretty crazy that this site's been around that like, and that I've been around on it that long too!