It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Joshen the Human Mercenary (Fighter -- Good)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:18 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Name:Joshen
Class:Fighter
Race:Human
Alignment:Good
Inventory:
*Leaded Mace (counts as a basic mace)
*Spear
*Small Shield (round)
*Sling
*Custom Breaker Armguards
*Full Chain armor set (top, pants, helmet, boots, gloves)
*Compass Amulet
*Silver "S" Pendant
Gold:11
Spells:none
Pets:none
Specials:Staff Art, Heroic Leap, Mercenary's Counter, Spell Breaker
Skills:Staff Technique, Combat Reflexes, Tactics, Epic Spearman
Tournament awards: Although he has won several tournament awards in his homeland, he has won none since coming to Darkness Incarnate.

---
Skills Descriptions:
Epic Spearman(Strong): The Mercenaries' Guild at Vlindondurm has spent centuries refining the art of fighting with spears and staves. Having been trained by many of the world's best spearmen, Joshen has attained a level of skill that is almost impossible to reach elsewhere by natural means. In combat, he handles his spear with extreme speed, grace, and precision.

Combat Reflexes(Medium):After years of training, Joshen has attained reflexes much faster than those of even veteran fighters.

Staff Technique(Weak):Joshen is an expert staff fighter, and blends his staff and spear techniques. He often attacks by swinging his spear, with the effectiveness of a quarterstaff. The staff grip also makes his spear more valuable as a defensive weapon.

Tactics: (Weak)Joshen's battlefield experience makes him adept at tracking multiple enemies. In many-on-many combat, he is often one step ahead of the other team.

Specials Descriptions:
Staff Art (Spear) (Weak): 3 fast, weak Swinging blows coming from different directions. [2x per page]

Heroic Leap (Weak): A 5-foot-high or 10-foot-long jump, followed by a roll into a standing position. He often uses it to tackle an opponent. [2x per battle]

Mercenary's Counter (Medium):A defensive technique. Joshen parries an attacking weapon by aiming a strike at the wrist holding it, with the goal of making the attacker drop the weapon. [2x per battle]

Spell Breaker: As part of a mercenary contract, Joshen has arranged for some defensive enchantments on his custom gauntlets. On command, they give off a burst of concentrated anti-magic, interfering with any other magic in the area. The effect depends on the properties of the other magic:
*Weak spells usually fail completely e.g. Arcane Arrow vaporizes in midair
*Medium spells may behave erratically and lose some of their power e.g. Fireball fails to explode but still causes moderate burns over a small area on a direct hit.
*Strong and Powerful spells still have their normal effect but with slightly less power behind them. e.g. Rainbow Beam does less blunt damage but is still painful and disorienting
*Magic items, jewels and similar effects lose power for one post (depending on strength as above). Jewels are considered backed by a Medium spell. e.g. Strength Jewel's effects are cut in half for one post
*Special case:The magic animating Undead characters behaves like a Powerful - they lose a little strength for a post, but still work more or less normally.
*Ki, Shapeshifter transformations, and Summoners' creatures are nonmagical enough to be unaffected, although it has its normal effect against summons' magical abilities.
*Priest boons are partly magical. They are affected as a spell that is one rank higher than the boon.
*The burst is only effective at short ranges. It cannot be used as a ranged attack without throwing the gauntlet.
[2x per battle - one per armguard]

Custom Equipment:
Breaker Armguards: These are a hybrid between the standard DI equipment and the armor of Joshen's homeland. They cover the entire arm as a standard chain armguard, but have four inside pockets along the sides and back of each forearm from wrist to elbow. These pockets contain rods of a lightweight steel alloy, offering greatly increased resistance to blunt damage without hindering mobility at all. Finally, there's a cloth layer underneath, preventing chafing and giving minimal protection against projectiles smaller than the mail's links.

---

Biography:
I imported Joshen from another game world. His biography has been slightly changed to compensate.
Joshen comes from a far-off land in which magic is rare. No mages have been born there for hundreds of years, and all magic is in the form of surviving artifacts.

During his teenage years, Joshen regularly won local recreational staff combat tournaments. When a military raid burned his home, he joined the city's famous Mercenary Guild at the age of 16; They accepted him due to extraordinary circumstances, and he wound up single-handedly ending the Granite crisis due to said extraordinary circumstances.

After an apprenticeship with the older mercenary Ardur, Joshen gained full membership to the Mercenary's Guild. This honor is given only to the most capable fighters, although the Guild does maintain its own private army. For eight years of his life, he spent between 12 and 16 hours a day in simulated combat, both one-on-one with other members of the Mercenary elite and larger fights with each side having one guildsman and a squad from their army. Over the years, he has faced virtually all the best fighters his homeland has to offer.

During this time, he has fought in several military campaigns. Most prominent of these is the Six Hills campaign, where Joshen was in the most active area of fighting. Indeed, one can still ask him about the Second, Third or Fourth Battle of Fox Hill and receive a vivid description both of what happened and why his side won or lost. During the Third Battle of Fox Hill, he wound up in command of 600 men at the summit after an arrow took down the one who should have been in charge.

Now, he has been hired on an extended mission in DI. In addition, he has the twofold mission of all Mercenaries of the Guild: bring back some magic weapons for the use of the guild, and learn new fighting styles and techniques. He has brought with him the Compass Amulet, which used to have powers beyond pointing North, although it seems to have lost these.

Description:
Height:Tall enough to carry a seven-foot spear strapped to his back (6'4")
Weight:About 200 pounds in armor
Appearance:Joshen appears intimidating by design. He wears his armor conspicuously over the top of his tunic. His dark, unruly hair, dark brown eyes and convex nose give his face a tough appearance.

Joshen carries both his spear and his shield slung to his back. (the slings open in different directions so that he can easily slip the shield out from under the spear.) He keeps his mace at his belt.

Record: 3 win, 2 loss, 0 ties.

Wins:
Tavern Brawl vs fish-orb as Trevor Irontoe (3 pages)
The Plains of Argis vs. Magnus as Magnus (<1 page)
Grey Ancient's Temple vs. oSo as Ein (2 pages)

King of the Hill: 2-win streak (vs. grad and Calash517; loss to oSo)

Losses:
The Waltz vs. leftisrighty as Puotta
Clan battle: Darkened Horizons vs Irregulars
Sunshine and Butterflies vs bluedragonfire as Musalis.
Druided Scrub Hunt vs Scottsonknight as Hubris

Tournament Record:
Zodiac Tournament:
1st round loss vs leboyX as Jaedin
1st loser bracket win vs Jodai as Vermillian

Unclaimed Skills: 4xWeak, 1 redo

Last edited by MikeEB on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:22 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Approved
Post in the Training Thread under Battles for a Trainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:10 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Made the third purchase of Leather Gloves for 0 in the last hour

Also, passed Training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:18 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Borrowed 1 gold to buy a Weak spellbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Gave myself the Irregulars pendant and the compass amulet. I also revamped my biography.

Post subject: Post-revamp comments
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The counter would be more of a strong skill for a fighter.

Post subject: Re: Post-revamp comments
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:43 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

deathjet wrote:
The counter would be more of a strong skill for a fighter.

Why? It does little damage and has a very short range. It should be Weak, rather than Medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:24 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

It looks like a special by the duelist's skill "Counter Attack", if I'm reading your special right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:44 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

deathjet wrote:
It looks like a special by the duelist's skill "Counter Attack", if I'm reading your special right.

No, I see three major differences. First, where Counter Attack consists of voluntarily taking damage in order to deliver a "more devastating blow", Mercenary's Counter aims to keep the blow from landing when the foe either reacts or drops the weapon. Second, Mercenary's Counter is a defined technique (i.e. a strike at the wrist), while Counter Attack is more a strategy than anything, and can be used to strike any part of the body. Finally, Counter Attack is a Skill, not a Special! Thus, they are inherently disjoint. Mercenary's Counter is far less damaging and less versatile than Counter Attack, making it Weak.

Actually, I also disagree about Counter Attack being strong, but that discussion should occur in the Duelist thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I'll put in my weight I suppose.

Let's look at fighters as a whole: They're not as made for counters, even the one you described, compared to Duelists. A counter attack is basically a dodge and an attack in one, where some damage may or may not take place. Which is why it's generally strong SKILLS, instead of specials for duelists.That's because they are A: activated, and B: they are dodge and attack in one.

As such, your special, is .... Falling out of line. Meaning it's a skill, not a special.

Specials, are always offensive. And... Counter is defense first, then offense. On top of it, you respond to a strike at such reflexes that I don't see anyone doing it easily, however, you've got projectile guard as...a reflexive skill.

So where does this leave us?... At a problem for me.

On the one side, it's really close to the counter skill. On the other side, you got this BEFORE the patch. As such, I'm going to rule in FAVOUR of MikeEB.

However... Your fighter will be unable to learn similar attacks cheaply as specials anymore, being strong, as DJ said. This means that the next special will take a strong special, and will never be a skill.

I'm agreeing with DJ that this is a strong special though.

Am I confusing you yet?

In short: Because the skill is prepatch, the special can remain medium, and it's strength will be treated accordingly.

There is however, one more thing that is...iffy. Because of that, I'll make a 2nd ruling. Your weak spellbook.

Basically, the patch does implement some changes. Such as the removal of spellbooks. Existing characters may keep theirs, but they can't buy new ones, or sell them to other people. As such, you can't sell your spellbook to other classes. It's a non-existing item now. Your warrior can now learn one additional spell. Sadly, he can't learn any spells.

If you wish, you can sell it for 3gp to the bank instead.

I have spoken.

Aww rats! Terrence:"Lose the Aww and you're quite right!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

"Projectile Guard" changed to "Combat Reflexes" during the patch, as approved by Dreadclaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Added a short physical description and the locations of all his visible weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Won 8 gold and a Strong Skill/special for Tavern Brawl. Gave 4 of the gold to Trevor Irontoe. The Strong Skill is Epic Spearman (Approved by oSo):

Quote:
Epic Spearman: The Mercenaries' Guild at Vlindondurm has spent centuries refining the art of fighting with spears and staves. Having been trained by many of the world's best spearman, Joshen has attained a level of skill that is almost impossible to reach elsewhere by natural means. In combat, he handles his spear with extreme speed, grace, and precision.(Strong)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Sold a skill idea to leboyX for 2 gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:39 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Won a gold in a half-page "battle" with Magnus. Spent two gold on a Sling. I have 7 (8-2+1) gold left.