It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sillaway, The City of Dreams.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Alive in Sillaway

It happened with a flash; strong and sudden, like the first light of being born. One would imagine. Also, as one might assume, the newcomer James had no other memories of any life save for this. The twenty two year old man was indeed a new born, not in body, but in the fact he was in a new and strange world for the first time.

Eyes adjust to the new world’s light, the light of a strange devise suspended in air. He was in a cone of light in the middle of a brick road. His eyes continue to become accustomed to the new light and things beyond the cone were revealed to the scholar. Large buildings made of brick, iron bar fences, light shinning without a candle, and the people. They walked by as if he were invisible. Each man dressed for success, each woman in a dress. The most unsettling sight however, was the complete and utter lack of faces upon every passerby.

This was more than simply the lack of emotion, or even a waxy coat over the eyes, nose, and mouth. No, what made them so terrifying was the wormhole that made up they’re face. A swirling black vortex framed by hair and popped collars. They drew in the eyes and held them. It was mesmerizing; a luring trap you could not escape from. His gaze was already fixed upon that first face in a moment.

A hand, in tipples gloves, rushed across his face. The hand pulled his gaze away. Before James now stood another black face, this one was different though. It was not a vortex; merely darkened by a drawn hood.

“Do not look them in the face. Even a glance into those pits can steal our soul away.”

The stranger backed away and again offered his hand, this time to lift James to his feet. The man’s clothing was different than those of the strange faceless citizens. His blue denim pants looked worn from wear. Beneath his brown leather coat he bore what seemed like the top art of a red robe, hood clearly coming from this garment.

“What are they?” He asked, grasping the strangers hand and being lifted to his feet.

“They’re simply forgotten, nothing more nothing less.”

“Where are we?”

“Sillaway, the city of dreams.”

Post subject: Re: Sillaway, The City of Dreams.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The duo walked down the road, James following the hooded stranger. He kept his head low, trying his best to resist the temptation to look at the black empty faces. It was a constant thought in his head. Like being told not to think of anything at all, your mind instantly wants to race through every thought it can. Resistance was futile, if he allowed their faces into his sight, he would look.

The stranger turned a corner, and following his feet, James did as well. He wanted to ask where they were going, who the stranger was, and to a lesser extent, what date it was. None of these questions mattered though. Where one is going doesn’t matter if he doesn’t know where he comes from. Knowing a man’s name is meaningless without knowing the man. The date was just a number if you have nothing to base it on.

At this point he felt asking questions of the stranger took second to asking them of himself. How did he get there, how to get back, and most importantly who was he. He had no answer, and so he would follow.

They passed twelve more buildings on two other streets before arriving. Their destination was a pub. Before opening the door, the hooded man turned to James. The stranger noticed his downward gaze and nodded.

“That’s probably for the best, but none of those forgotten will be in there. Tender doesn’t allow them, doesn’t like them.” He waited for the stranger to continue but he did not.

“Why tell me now? Why not inside?”
“Because I’m not going inside.” The stranger opened the door and stepped behind it.”

Part of him felt it was a trap, most of him actually. There was no choice though, nowhere else to turn. The first step was the hardest, but it was made and another followed. He didn’t know what waited on the other side of that door, but lifting his head again felt good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

First off I'd like to state for anybody reading; Yes, the characters of this story are taken directly from DI. These are not though strait forward alterations of characters that I've met but more alterations of how James/Atrin saw your characters to be when meeting, or even just seeing them. (In cases were seeing them was memorable enough.) If you have any problems with how I wrote your character into this dream world, or would simply like to comment on it, please feel free to PM me.

Even before entering he could hear the soft tones of a lullaby. A lullaby seemed a very strange thing to play in a bar, yet somehow it was fitting. His eyes rolled over to investigate the sound but stumbled instead upon the patrons of the bar. They were, in a word, inhuman.

At one table sat a ghostly figure holding a lantern. He was the most normal, seeming to be just a ghostly man with pointed ears and a slender form. He was dressed in a robe and sipping on a drink, which fell strait through him. He found it strange how he could even lift the cup if the liquid passed through him; also why he bothered to drink at all. He surely had a story.

Standing on the table was a strange cat in armor. Next to him was a short katana over twice the cat’s size. He was drinking out of a sake dish, lapping it up with his tongue. Not a simple house cat at all, that much was clear. Curiosity coursed through him; Did he really have the ability to wield that sword?

He thought few things would spoke him compared to the forgotten, but these two proved that thought wrong quite quickly. He had been caught staring too long and now both patrons were returning his gaze. He stood there in disbelief until the bar tender spoke.

“If you keep starin at my customers you might as well buy them a drink.”

The tender, as his former companion called her, was stunning. With beauty and radiance she had done the same as the ghost and cat had with surprise and absurdity.

Long, dark brown hair fell down her back, sitting upon the white base of her robe. (More of a toga than anything.) She was leaning on the bar with here elbow. He blushed. Her chosen stance revealed more cleavage than she might have meant. Glancing downward as she caught his gaze, she quickly stood up strait to correct the problem without embarrassment.

“And that applies for me too. Looks like we’ll be sharing a bottle of wine then. On you of course.” With a wink and a waving finger she lured him over. Never one to keep a woman waiting, he walks over.

“I’m afraid I’ve no coin to speak of.” He pulled out his empty pockets to show his honesty.

“That’s what tabs are for, Hun.” Another wink. That and favors.” A smile, falsely innocent, was beamed his way. From under the bar the woman pulls out a bottle of wine, almost as if she had been waiting for the opportunity to drink off of a man’s bill. She pours two glasses and passes one over to him. He swirls the drink, not sure of what he was getting himself into. Regardless, he did not hate the idea of a drink right now, and so he indulges.

“So what’s your name cutie?”

He didn’t know how to answer that question. It was so simple and yet he had no answer. Stalling, he takes another drink, savoring the flavor. He couldn’t tell if it was particularly good or not, his recollection of taste was gone with the rest of his memory. The man finally has a seat at the nearest bar stool before finally admitting ignorance.

“Great question, I don’t know. Might make a tab hard to keep.”

“Oh I won’t be forgetting your face, don’t you worry about that.” She says unwilling to break him out of this arrangement, if it only meant keeping him coming back. “I’ll need to call you something though. If you can’t give me a name we’ll have to just stick with Hun and Cutie.”

“No Objections; until I find my name that is.”

“I could always pick one for you to use if you like.” Another wink, she would be famous for them.

“I’d rather not. Taking a new one would be like admitting defeat, and would hinder my task of regaining my memory. I’m not one to do either of those.”

“Suppose it is. So do you know why you’re here, or even where here is?”

“I’ve been told this city is named Sillaway, that’s about all I know. Could you tell me anything else?”

“A bottle of wine AND information; you’re going to have a pretty large tab at this rate.” Another Wink.

She walked around the bar and over to the corner of the room. What he saw next added even more to his shock. Upon her back were two small angel wings. They weren’t very big at all and probably could not support flight, at least not for long. But then again that was assuming that the laws of nature applied to this city of dreams.

She grabbed a book from the corner and carried it over. As she did the lullaby he that was a constant back noise grew louder. The sound was coming from the book itself. This world had surprised after surprise waiting from him like a loaded trap. Even spending a year in this city would still catch the newborn off guard.

“Watch the bar.” She said to the book. Looking back at him; “Follow me. We can talk more upstairs.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Labeling the room he was now in as simply ‘upstairs’ was misleading. This was a bedroom, her bedroom. Not sure of where this was leading, he decided to stand whilst she sat on the edge of her bed. Taking the initiative, he spoke first.

“Those forgotten, what can you tell me about them?”
The question hit her with a puzzled look. She paused, stalling, choosing her words carefully. Whatever words would escape her lips would conceal some truth within. Finally she spoke.

“They were people once, but they were forgotten by God. He had forsaken many of us, but, none so much as them.”

A cleaver lie, one strengthened by her angelic form, but a lie none the less. He waited, picking apart her answer like a picky kid shifts through their dinner. God was clearly the fabrication, as he often was. Not God, but somebody did likely forsake these creatures. His mind raced through explanations of what might of happened. The first was magic; a wizard’s plague upon the city. Perhaps they were artificial beings; man trying to create man. Then maybe she wasn’t lying, only calling man god.

“How long have they been here.” He continued.

“Almost as long as the city itself.”

“And the city was founded how long ago?” The woman sighed before speaking.

“Fifteen years ago.”

His eyes expanded. Only fifteen years. The city was grand and looked quite advanced for so few years old. He asked her; “Fifteen or Fifty?” She confirmed his ears hear right. Fifteen years ago a city was founded, and soon after that it was invested with the Forgotten. This all said from an angel with the body of a twenty year old woman.

Instantly his mind went to another question. Was she here when the city was founded? He thought of asking the question but decided against it. Either that answer would be a lie or the one after would be. Instead he asked.

“How do you move around the city with them around? Don’t they hypnotize you as well?”

She took another moment to chose her words; writing them out in her mind before speaking. This dance was growing old. He thought of just leaving her now and returning to the bar. He started to turn when she finally spoke.

“They don’t come out during the day. I know it sounds silly or dumb, but”

“Sillaway, the City of Dreams” He interrupted, “Seems fitting enough to believe.” He nodded, letting her know he was at least listening to the information, regarding it all or any as fact was a different story though.

“Thank you, for trusting me.” She said, hinting that it had been a problem in the past. She was pegged as deceitful by choice others. Not even the patrons of her bar believed the stories she told of days past; days where the city was new, days when the city was free of the forgotten souls. She seemed eternally grateful to find somebody not such a skeptic. Perhaps it was her gender and good looks that made everyone think she was working an angle; James sure thought she was, even if he wouldn’t quite admit it.

“I wouldn’t quite say I trust you, not yet. That’s just an easy enough lie to spot once the sun shines some light on it in the morn.”

She smiled, choosing to take that as more of a joke than it really was. He suspected that at least half the smile was hiding the hurt she felt; knowing that the lack of trust was there. But they had only met, at least in this city; such things as blind trust were unthinkable. When dumped into a new setting without a friend in the world, the first person you chose to be friend could be your greatest foe.

The woman looked down; seeking the courage to offer what had crossed her mind more than twice. She knew what she wanted, and he knew it too. Ghosts, cats, singing books, none were capable of showing the affection she had gone so long without. It had been a long time since anything more than a flirtatious advance was given, both to and from her. Still, she found the courage to speak.

“You should stay here till morning. This isn’t an inn but you may share my bed tonight.”

“At the cost of a larger tab, right?”

“No.” Had she offered before the questions she would have said otherwise. A nod and a wink and a varying price depending on the night. But now he held the power, she had been too submissive with him and he now held the reins. “It’s on the house tonight.”

Now was his turn to pause, weighing his generosity against the situation. He would give the angel what she wanted. If nothing more, to get what he wanted in return. “No.” He paused just long enough to plant a shred of sadness in her heart before continuing. “I couldn’t take it for free. Maybe one of those favors you spoke of?”

She smiled a true smile this time. It was big a wind and showed off a row of pearly white teeth that were fit for the angel. She stood, walking toward him with that smile. One hand, her left, slipped under his coat and pressed against his back. The right hand found its way beside his face, ruffling through his hair. “Agreed.” Fully away of the sway in power, she knew he wanted this too. She leaned up, needing to stand on her toes, and she kissed him tenderly on the lips.