It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: To Bring Down a Titan (Drakol Vs. Gauge)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The twisting colours and the dull haze lifted as Drakol awoke from his state of semi-sleep. Musalis was not far off from where he lay; keeping watch, no doubt.

The drow could only shake his head at the strange dreams that he had been having for the last four days. They were magic-induced, he knew, due to the large amount of mana that seemed to be focused in this area. It seemed that the black pillar was a mana-font of the most epic proportions. No matter what time of day, no matter how the ley was flowing at that particular moment, mana was so thick on the air that he could feel it tingling in his blood and could almost taste it on his tongue; which was really strange. Musalis had actually been blind for the first portion of their time as they were converging upon the pillar because of the large mana concentration, and had required the drow to guide her.

He had taken his time in negotiating the craggy landscape. Strain was not something that he could afford after his battle with Jaedin. They had made what was a two day trip from the assassin's place of attack in double the time in order to reduce strain as much as possible and allow time to heal. Drakol admired the little skeleton's endurance and her ability to persist long after he was exhausted. She made an excellent watch dog, and her love made her a very loyal one. Despite the fact that he was using the girl to his own ends, he felt... amiable toward the girl. He liked her as far as one could like a skeleton, but her company was nice after having left his clan. She might even turn out to be a friend after this was over.

He stood up slowly, easing the mild ache in his young bones that came from sleeping on solid rock. He belted on his sword, said a few words to Musalis, and then headed off toward the black pillar.

High noon saw the land suddenly become very smooth and much less hazardous. The number of crags diminished almost instantaneously, and the ground became almost free of any debris. The trip became easier, but that did not cause the drow to quicken his pace. Rather, he slowed it, cautious and wary of everything going on around him.

Another three hours and they were there.

Slipping on the five pendants that he had assumed were something that Gauge has forgotten to ask him to bring, he told Musalis to hide behind one of the crags that was present around the giant black pillar. After explaining why, and some mild bickering, the skeletal girl conceded and hid behind the rock. She was close enough to be quick to lend a hand if needed, but not close enough to be in any immediate danger. The rock would provide her cover against any stray spells that may fly about the area.

With a nod, Drakol strode the last of the distance and stopped some twenty yards from the pillar.

The pillar itself was very imposing. It stood higher than the eye could make out, and was about fifty feet in diameter. The stone was solid black obsidian with intricate and unknown markings carved into its face. As far as Drakol could tell, these markings continued all the way up the pillar, spiraling upwards into the sky. Standing next to that pillar, the drow felt immensely small. It was really almost impossible to say just how small he felt. The fact that the pillar hummed and, occasionally, throbbed with arcane energy made it that much more imposing. He had a feeling that the pillar served some sort of dire purpose - how could such a thing not? - but he had no idea what it was.

Well, I guess I should get this over with...

“Allan Gauge! I, your apprentice Drakol, have come to bring you the tablets which you sent me to retrieve!” Drakol shouted as loud as he could, his usual musical tone sounding gruff and non-musical with the shout. He produced five small stone tablets and the Radiant Novel from with his robe. He held the book in his right and the tablets in his left. “I have come Gauge, and have not failed you! Come, receive that which I have brought and confer upon me my reward!”

He winced as he said those last words. They sounded more like a command or demand than a request or an announcement. He hoped that Gauge would understand. This pillar was intimidating, and he just wanted to get his gift and go. He new-found power would be of great help in his life outside of the quest.

Somewhere in the back of his mind though, he knew that there was no gift. He knew that he would have to fight; but he denied the existence of this thought. There was no reason for Gauge to harm him. No reason for Gauge to send three assassins after him. As far as Drakol was concerned, he was completely and totally safe. Still, he couldn't help drumming his fingers against the bottom of the radiant novel nervously and his hand's constant twitching motions toward the hilt of his sword.

Everything will turn out just fine. Gauge will be happy, and I will have my power that I have been promised... The silence that was surrounding the pillar, with not even a breath of wind stirring, made him doubt that.

Post subject: Re: To Bring Down a Titan (Drakol Vs. Gauge)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Trying my best to enter a character I have not created, hope i live up to your expectations Yoz.

The broken lands around the pillar were growing incredibly dull. Nothing of excitement ever happened around these lands, possibly because anybody foolish enough to enter his land was quickly disposed of and none had ever been worth even toying with. Ages of dull boring solitude would quickly come to an end. Even though he was bound to this tower of obsidian he could still play the part of puppet master to those foolish enough to want his cursed power. He had played this part many times before but none had ever been able to ‘live’ up to his needs, save for one. The apprentice wizard Drakol, better known as a lapdog pulled around by his leash like a good boy. A promise, false of course, was all it took to lead this whelp around by the nose as he searched for his own power.

He was no fool; if Drakol were even close to becoming a match he would betray him in an instant. The power this fool wanted was not for recreation, no power sought so hard is ever used for the better of the world, he would know. Drakol wanted power for the exact same reasons Allan obtained them in the first place, and that was exactly what made him too much of a risk. The problem with evil simply put, the good guy will try to stop you, and your comrade will double cross you. Perhaps this is simply the last lesson Drakol would have to learn from his master.

He had arrived, the dark puppet doing exactly as it was controlled to do. He could sense the fear and mistrust in his pupils voice. Deep down he knew what was coming but be it his foolishness or his false sense of compassion, he had buried the idea deep inside and refused to see it for what it really was, truth.

Slowly he turns and extends his fingers to the lesser wizard. Just a warning, that’s all it was going to be. A warning shot fired strait through his heart. ‘Surly deep in his heart he knows that every struggle set against him was my doing. I’ll simply dig deep enough to find that fact and show it to him.’

The attack was almost instant, from his fingertips launched an arrow of pure arcane energy. Without word or proper motion, such things were below him and unnecessary in this instance. [Arcane Arrow 0/5/3] The projectile flew through the air faster than most archers could fire themselves. Though this attack would do very little if any damage, again that meant little in this present situation, he simply wanted to test the strength of Drakol’s devotion. Not to be mistaken as a trial by any means, it was no final task to save his life, simply a search for amusement. Allan had taken so much pleasure in toying with this young one that it seemed too much of a waste to simply kill him without a laugh or two. No there were many things that would happen before his death, things that would wish he had died from this arrow, and even more that would make him wish he had come alone.

Very few things could ever escape Allan’s insight, [Ageless Knowledge] and the skeleton key that followed the drow was no exception. The love she felt for him, and the lack of return from the cold blooded dark elf was enough to scare a smile from hiding, though none could ever see any facial expression from the glowing entity that was, Allen Gauge.

Arcane Arrow used 1/2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:43 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

An arrow of bright light shot from Gauge's glowing finger as he wordlessly rounded to face the drow. It cut through the air like a bolt from a crossbow on an unerring path toward his heart.

Panic and surprise clutched Drakol's throat simultaneously as he registered what was going on. It was all he could do to leap out of the way in time to have the bright bolt of light cut a small furrow in his skin and punched a nice hole through his blackened robe. Despite its small size, the wound stung like few others he had ever received. That wound stung so badly because of the weight of knowledge that it was hanging from it. Gauge had tricked him and had always meant to kill him.

No! This must be a test of my faith. He wants me to prove that I want this power more than anything.

Even while Drakol was thinking that thought, a voice further back in his mind was laughing scornfully. It knew the truth, but Drakol denied the words that it spoke. The voice knew that everything up until this point had been set up by Gauge as an attempt to avoid having himself have to kill the drow. The voice whispered in a snake-like way that Drakol was simply a puppet on the strings attached to Gauge's fingers, but the voice was ignored.

Unbidden, his reflex to being attacked was triggered as he landed, heedless of the thought that it was all just a test. Perhaps his reflexes had the right of it, but he was willing to deny those too. The sword was half out of the scabbard before he slammed the blade back home with a furious motion. The half-formed word on his lips and the spell that was burning at the forefront of his mind were banished at the same moment, dropping his counter offense.

Drakol fell to one knee, though stayed balanced precariously on the balls of his feet even then. His weight was shifted slightly to one side, and his head was bowed. Still, the drow watched the larger wizard through his bangs as he once again extended his left hand. The five small tablets of stone, apparently having no relation to each other in size, shape, or design, were presented in his hand.

“Allan Gauge, my master, I have brought you what you have requested. Five tablets from all across the land of Darkness incarnate. I kneel before you now unwaivering in my faith to you, knowing that you will, eventually, grant me my reward after you test me one last time.” He stretched his left hand out just a little further to show the offering. He wanted to look nonthreatening but he could not, despite all of his willpower, remove his right hand from the leather-bound grip of his sword.

His right hand knew the right of the whole situation. It would just take time before the rest of him, too, knew the right of the situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The artificial arrow struck just inches away from its target. Drakol being to slow to dodge was not anything surprising to the Arch Wizard, however his foolishness was. Drakol still held on to some foolish notion that he was still to receive his reward of greater power. Did he really think a blind eye was turned upon the drow? Great power such as this was not an ends, it is a means. “Tell me apprentice.” He speaks after hearing the declaration of peace by his former student. “What are your intentions with this great power? Be sure to be loud enough for your questionable companion to hear.”

His hands held out in front of his chest and a swirl of white wrapping around the air between. He was charging from a more forceful attack this time. Not a simple weak arrow, but a blast of raw arcane energy. The energy was very visible and foreboding in nature. “If you want a final test consider it this. Persuade me to let you live before my spell is cast.”

The build up of energy had been altered for dramatic effect. Moving his hands above his head the energy starts building up. A swirling vortex of white energy expands and contracts, growing ever bigger and brighter with each pulsation. [Raw Arcana 8/0/0] He did not expect the spell to really hit with such a slow cast and delivery but it would at least show the fool this was no mere test. He was out for entertainment by blood.

Raw Arcana used 0 uses left. (Yes I did not actually cast it yet)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:40 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The power that Gauge was summoning was far beyond anything that Drakol had ever experienced in this life-time. The vortex that was twisting and writing above his white-pulsing had bespoke the amazing power that the spell being cast would possess, conversely telling Drakol of its destructive power. He was...worried. If that spell was cast, there was a chance that he would not be able to escape the blast radius, which would be very large indeed. That kind of power would have burnt Drakol to a crisp, and would be enough to level a small hill, especially if Drakol's knowledge of spells held true. [Magical Knowledge]

But how to stop the spell? Gauge most definitely wouldn't enjoy the true answer to that question, no matter how sadistic or twisted he was. What human would support the rampant genocide of their people by giving one of another race the ability to do so? Gauge, no matter how insane, did not seem like the sort. A lie was his only option, but Drakol was utterly clueless as to what brand of lie would not get him caught within its strands once spun. There seemed to be only one way.

Standing slowly, Drakol looked upon Gauge and his swirling mass. The fear on his face was only half-faked, and the meekness in his voice was even less so,"A cruel and ironic question, to be sure. The truth of the matter is that I have not thought of what I will do with this power after I gain it. I have been so focused on attaining the power promised that I have not thought of what I will do afterward." It was no good. The lie was not convincing at all, but he would not speak the truth no matter how Gauge goaded it out of him. Musalis would not help if she knew the truth of the matter.

[Magic Shards, 0/3/2]

Drakol's sense of self-preservation was enough to force him into the offensive course of action. The lie would not be believed; and the only way to stay alive after that would be to break Gauge's concentration. To do that, he would need to hit the angelic figure. A sword swipe was out of the question as the distance to cover was too great. The only other choice was to strike Gauge and hope to heaven and hell that it would be enough.

That voice in the back of his head was at its loudest now, overpowering the voice that told him that striking out at Gauge was folly. The other voice simply returned: "It was folly to believe and come here. You must fight now. Fight, or die." And Drakol would fight.

Were his eyes not already burning with white fire from the mana that filled the air, they would have begun burning now. Mana coursed through him and worked its way down his left arm, pooling there and forming five smaller, more distinct pools. From those pools emerged five spines of crystallized mana, each with a needle-sharp point that, three inches down, grew to be half a centimeter wide before slanting back down to a more dull point after only an inch. The five shards stood erect on Drakol's hand, dull points just touching the arcane circle on his hand.

His left arm rose and took aim at Gauge's chest. The word was spoken and the shards shot forward from his palm, streaking at speeds between a bow-shot and a run toward his chest. Knowing that even that spell might not stop his impending doom, Drakol put himself in motion; walking to the left while keeping his eyes firmly planted on Gauge. If the need arose, he would run as hard and fast as he could.

The drow just really hoped that he wouldn't need to run.

[Magic Shards, 2/3 remaining]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol’s obvious lie was laughable at best. Saying he wished to obtain the power to save the planet from an alien monkey race with incredible strength would be more plausible that simply, ‘I haven’t really thought about it.’ The lie was almost enough to make Gauge smile but nothing more, his spell would still fire and perhaps finally Drakol would see this confrontation for what it truly was.

He was about to speak the words “Nice try.” When he noticed that a second spell was amassing in the area, of course not nearly as powerful. Drakol was preparing his own mediocre spell already, not even waiting to see if his lie would work, he was smarter than he appeared indeed. However he could sense no real amount of power in the spell.

It was truly a task for him to keep a strait face through the events unfolding before him. Brittle little arcane shards flew through the air aimed for the Arch Wizard. The shards are easily avoided by bringing his right side forward and lowering his arms. Two of the shards crashed against his Force Wall and splintered into mere shards against the arcane barrier. Two shards fly past his body while the last manages to cut through the side of his body. The cut was not that deep and didn’t even cause a sign of pain upon the mostly arcane body.

“Drakol, you shall not destroy this world.”

As the drow moves across the field Guage takes careful aim. The beam is fired toward him. Knowing the wizard was about to make a mad dash, moves his sight while the large beam fired. Its slow firing rate was where Guage drew its strength. Moving the beam’s direction to match the fleeing Drow was quite funny. He almost wanted to not kill him with this attack to see just how exhausted he would become from outrunning the arced beam.

The release of power was intense even for him. The wind around him kicked violently pushing the shards of arcane power behind him. ‘Wait? Why did I hold this power until after Drakol’s attack? I’m smarter than this and the spell could have been sped up with a simple chant. Is this what it is to try and swim against the flow?’

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:45 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

So he knows. Of course he knows; how could he not know. He must have watched me for some time over the last two years before deciding to send me on this quest for the hangman's noose. Drakol couldn't help but give a small, bitter laugh.Ironic that I so nicely stood on the chair and stuck my head in the loop when that is the very last thing that I would ever actually do. I guess this was fated; and if not, it's my own damn fault either way. What was that saying? "If you're going to ha~" fool!

Drakol pushed off his left foot, currently his forward foot in his side-ways stride, and began to dash the other way. The spell that he had thrown was not enough to break Gauge's concentration - should have expected that - and now that blast of pure arcane energy was coming. The push helped to speed him on his way away from the slowly encroaching ball of magic-death. It was enough to get out of the blast radius, but not enough to escape harm completely.

The ball impacted with the ground some three feet back from where Drakol would have been two steps later in his previous path. The explosion was extremely violent. The shale, being the relatively weak rock that it is, splintered with ease as the explosion carved out a crater some three feet deep and seven feet wide. The concussion wave from the blast and the cloud of debris caught Drakol mid-stride, shoving him forward like a toy and launching him some six feet through the air. He landed with a loud smack against the ground, head reflexively protected by his arms so as not to meet the stone, and rolled another three before coming to a stop.

Drakol let out a soft groan that sounded, to his ears, more like a whimper. His body hurt. That explosion would have blasted him into tiny bits had he not been able to escape that blast. But he did, trading a quick and relatively painless death for prolonged pain from a battered body that would only grow to be more battered before this was over. He was alive, and the pain told him that. Everything hurt but, as if by a miracle, nothing felt broken. With another groan he began to stir, shaking a coating of grayish-brown dust from his robe as he rose somewhat shakily to his feet. The set of his face was quite grim as he looked upon Gauge.

"So that is the power that I am up against... I see." Drawing his blade, Drakol began to stride toward Gauge. His knees ached, and he feared that he may fall over at any moment, but he trudged on. No need to show weakness against one so strong. Better to leave a good impression than to look like a fool when you go out. During this advance that Drakol thought of the little skeletal girl that was hidden behind some rocks. He wanted to leave a good impression on her when he died, despite everything, and hoped that she would get away. She wasn't going to be much use here. Silently, he willed her to run as far away as she could. Drakol was never the sort to ever be heroic, but dire times often had the habit of changing how one acted and thought.

Drakol knew he would not get close enough to Gauge without a distraction. [Magic Bolt, 1/0/4] With a few words that were unbroken by the muscle-shaking strides, Drakol called up a small ball of light into his left palm. It crackled and popped like a much lesser sun. With a smirk, he pushed off the ground into a dash and crushed the orb of light at the same moment. The flash was bright, but served only as a distraction under the sunny-yet-strangely-dim sky.

If he managed to get close enough, Drakol would try to make a high slash across Gauge's chest to engage the high wizard in melee combat. If he didn't get close enough...well... Drakol didn't want to think about what that would mean.

[Magic Bolt, 4/5 remaining]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol just barely managed to outrun the danger zone, just being pushed forward and onto his face by the shockwave. He would have prepared another spell to finish him off for good while he took his little rest but, for some reason he did not exactly no, he restrained himself. Perhaps it was fear; fear that no matter they’re difference in power he could not swim against the flow. Perhaps this was him fighting the flow, being pulled along for the time being.

He watches as Drakol crawls back to his feet ready for further punishment. Still watching as he moves toward the spire and still watching as he forms arcane energy in his hand. ‘Another meek attack my apprentice?’ Expecting some easily overcome attack, he was caught of guard when Drakol crushed the energy to let lose a brilliant white light.

‘Cleaver move. But, what exactly do you plan to accomplish. Will you flee or will you foolishly stand against me?’

Currently blinded was no excuse for a passive stance, he could still cast and prepare for what would await his eyes upon they’re recover. Instead of swirling the ley lines around him, he would focus more on those inside him, or more his robe. It was composed mostly of arcane energy to begin with, altering it to become more resilient was nothing short of child’s play.

[Ghost Armor post 1/2]

His eyes were finally returning to normal as he slowly exposes them to the light of day. Slowly, opening just ever so slightly than closing; repeating the process again and again opening more each time. When his vision finally returns in full he is somewhat surprised to see Drakol within swords length. His blade slashes forward toward his chest with very little time to react.

A cleaver maneuver; he brings his right side toward his enemy. With a lifted right arm and bent knees the blade classes with a robed right arm; the robes enhanced form stopping the blade in its tracks. Twisted Mana drawn and ready to bite back at the foe Allen again feels the need to taunt, not strike fatal.

“Letting your opponent get low and inside, fatal mistake my apprentice.”

‘Do you believe in destiny?’ he thinks to himself, mind racing even while speaking to the drow wizard. ‘I do, that is why this battle is hard for me as well as you. I see your destiny, you are to destroy me and through my death receive my power; exactly how I received my power, and my master’s before me. But if I cannot defeat you and destiny, then who possibly could? You will not find an apprentice and a barren and destroyed world.’

Ghost armor 1/2 uses
Force Wall restored.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol's strike was blocked, but he expected that. His diversionary light-burst and subsequent sword-strike had served its purpose, almost. Drakol had not counted on the man being left-handed, and was thus forced to break away from his opponent as he saw the twisted sword being drawn. The taunt only served to add insult to injury. Along with Drakol's own self-beratement of You fool, you broke the first and most important rule of combat: Know thy enemy; Gauge's own words of: “Letting your opponent get low and inside, fatal mistake my apprentice.” served to get on the drow's nerves. Still, he knew the right in the statement and did his best to take the words to heart

His counter was a mumbled, weak one that seemed to be more excuse than anything. It wasn't, of course, it just sounded like that. "I didn't know that you lead with your left." Of course, there was also the fact that his blade had met with the cloth of Gauge's glowing robe without leaving so much as a minor incision in its weave. Enchanted, of course; whether by spell or design Drakol did not care, it simply meant that things were going to be a touch more difficult now.

Actually, more than a touch.

It became apparent to Drakol, as he was preparing for his second pass on Gauge, just how inadequate his gear was for the whole situation. His own blade was wrought of a strong, light material that was surprisingly sharp. That was all-well-and-good when it came to combating normal opponents, but when squared off against a sword composed seemingly entirely out of mana, it did not fare so well. Then there was their armour to consider. Drakol's own armour was his own flesh and a thick robe. Once again, just fine against those who used mundane weapons and no fire. When set up against Gauge's, however, he found that he was at a severe disadvantage. By comparison, Gauge was a walking fortress; garbed head to foot in an enchanted robe that seemed to have no problem stopping the slashes from Drakol's simple metal weapon.

And that was just his chosen equipment. He really did not want to think about just how far behind he was in arcane prowess.

It was...disconcerting to Drakol's own thought patterns. His normal confidence and haughtiness was rent asunder by squaring off against this man. Not even Ein Weltal, in all his power and glory, did not throw him off-balance like this man did. Within his own mind, Drakol felt small and insignificant, a gull trying to fight the hurricane. Despite his lack of confidence however, the drow felt driven, as if pushed, to continue the engagement. Something was forcing his hand, seemingly against his will. The moment a thought of retreat crept into the whirlwind, it was overpowered by three that spoke otherwise. That voice in the back of his head, seemingly not his own was pushing him, driving him; forcing him.

Drakol growled as he lunged forward with a thrust directed toward Gauge's heart. The growl was born of frustration both with himself and with his far-superior opponent. Still, if the thrust landed the ordeal would be quickly over. If it didn't however, the lesser-wizard had left himself wide open for the master-wizard's own counter-attack. Such an action was not characteristic of Drakol. He never went for the early killing strike, which was guaranteed to be turned. It was desperation that gave the strike wings. Blatant ignorance of his opponent's advice just previously given: hopefully something he wouldn't expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

“Leading with his my left? Why would it matter what hand was dominant? I walked into the blow of my own accord. You attacked and I intercepted in the way that fitted me best. You didn’t have a choice of how your blow would land, only the options of flee or fight.”

Drakol steps back quickly, his mind already assaulted by Allan’s words and easy counter. Fear was gripping the drow, poisoning his judgment and pushing mistakes to the surface. He believed that a battle of spells would end in Allan’s favor. He was correct. However to forsake them entirely was even worse.

The drow’s pace quickens as he moves forward, blade aimed to pierce Allan’s heart. Allan’s body quickly takes action, but not as quick as his mind readies itself. “Where is the substance?” Again he steps into the attack, though this time with his left, his blade of mana up in a piecing motion looking to house itself in Drakol’s stomach.

“You always needed to learn the hard way. Reverse Magnetism.”

[Reverse Magnetism 1/2]

Without so much as an added motion to his attacking form a pulse of both magnetism and a kick of wind erupted from his body. [Arcane Wind] This was the true melee prowess of a wizard, combining sword and spell to form an opening and exploit it. Drakol was a wielder of the arcane first and foremost, merely a practitioner of the blade and thus should never rely on blade alone.

As Allan neared his target he could feel the mana inside of him thirst for Drakol, crackling and leaping toward his body in the form of stray energy. [Shocking Presence] Allan was never one who’s personal space should be violated, the area encompassing his bubble was prone to a form of static shock if kept unchecked by Allan, and he saw no further reason to restrain it.

‘Can it be I was wrong about you? Perhaps you are not the one to become my true apprentice. I will teach you Drakol. I will teach you wonders and then you will perish.’

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:49 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The moment Drakol felt his sword slowing, he was frightened. Of course, the slowing was actually an abrupt stop that turned into a direction reversal in the blink of an eye. Gauge had done something, cast some spell, in order to turn Drakol's sword away without it so much as coming near his body. That fact only deepened Drakol's knowledge that he knew next-to-nothing about how to work and weave mana. His spells were some of the most basic there were, and while his knowledge and recognition of the world of magic were both great, there were still secrets that he had not yet unlocked the knowledge of. This 'reverse magnetism' as Gauge had called it was one such secret.

The next secret that may not have been a secret at all was just as startling. As that spell had been cast by Gauge, a powerful clockwise whirlwind had kicked itself up around the man's glowing body. With it came a jolt of arcane energy that leaped forward from his body and sunk itself into Drakol's abdomen and caused a very nasty sensation. Those three things alone were enough to knock Drakol far off balance and send him falling backward to the ground.

The connection with the ground was quite possibly not the worst part of the whole ordeal. As he fell Gauge's mana-woven cut a very nice line up his front. Were it not for the fall, Drakol knew he would have been skewered. Instead, he was left with a long minor flesh wound that burned worse than most that he had experienced in his lifetime. The high wizard's blade - being completely composed of mana as it was - was highly unstable and left burning droplets of mana plasma in any wound that it left. The plasma cauterized the wounds and prevented bleeding - which was a good thing - but caused great agony to any that it touched until it dissipated - which was a bad thing. The four happenings that worked against Drakol left him flat on his back in more pain that he was in before.

Surprisingly the whole idea of being laid out flat upon his back irked Drakol more than it worried him. I've never been so badly manhandled in my life! I know that he's more powerful than me by far, but the least I could do is put up a half-decent fight. I'm going out with a whimper, not the bang that I expected. He willed his muscles to move as his backward momentum was still partly present. They groaned and whined and burned like no tomorrow, but they complied. The drow rolled backward over his shoulder and came up on his feet in a crouch.

The distance between the two was relatively short, and Drakol hoped that he could play on surprise, even if just a little. [Bright Beam, 0/1/4] The words practically exploded from the lesser wizard's mouth in a flood. The mana moved so quickly that he hardly had time to perceive the movement before the spell, a beam of light with every colour known - and some not - writhing along its surface, hurtled forth from his extended left hand. Without even thinking Drakol unleashed the latent mana stored within his body into the beam, bulking up its being and causing the colours to writhe just a bit faster than before. [Arcane Empowerment - Strength]

The beam itself moved at a swift jog across the few feet that the roll had put between them, but Drakol knew better than to stand still. From his crouch he pushed off the ground, knees aching and burning in protest, to launch himself three feet backward and two to the right. Not watching where he was going Drakol's foot slipped on a loose piece of debris and landed him squarely upon his rump. He didn't even get a chance to stagger and recover, he just fell down like a toddler learning to walk. For the smallest fraction of a second he almost expected himself to cry like one too.

The whole thing just irked the wizard even more as he hurriedly crossed his legs beneath himself and hoisted himself into a standing position. I hope that blasted skeleton has taken the chance to run. She must have, otherwise she would be here at my side by now trying to save me. Good. Now I can die properly. His thoughts skidded to a halt for a moment. Wait...what?

[Bright Beam, 2/3 remaining]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:49 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Flat on his back, that is how the drow landed and where he should stay. He was truly lucky to have fallen by the shock and not the sword. Looking down upon his apprentice he couldn’t help but have an immense feeling of superiority. “Your ambitions end here.” He utters under his breath. His right hand moves up in preparation to strike down Drakol with one final attack.

The drow had other plans, rolling backward onto his feet and launching a spell of his own, the Bright Beam. Quite a simple spell and one easily countered with itself. “Bright Beam.” Allan repeats as his own spell is quickly summoned, the arcane energies rushing through his body to his fingers until the glow, and then launch. The simple attack erupts from the palm and quickly meets with the other.

[Bright Beam 3/0/5]

Drakol’s beam is easily pushed back and Allan’s plows through it and strikes against the ground. He was wise to keep moving after his spell but it seems fear was truly getting the better of the wizard. Taking a few steps forward he thrusts his sword toward Drakol’s throat, though not nearly close enough to kill or even attack without the chance of a dodge.

“Do you see it now Drakol? The price of your ambitions, were they all worth it? I am far from a force of good and do not mistake this as a step toward redemption. This power, my power; it is too great for anyone to maintain. One with goals such are yours can never be allowed to possess it. Submit my apprentice; you shall never have my, nor any other power.”

A moment passes in silence as the wind blows between the two of them, sprinkling dust and dirt across the area. A bit of sorrow crossed the Arch Wizard’s mind. It wasn’t saying much but Drakol could be considered his best and only friend. He was depressed at having to end this life, but relieved he would be sparing Drakol from the curse this mass of energy came attached to.

Bright Beam 2 uses left

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:54 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol heaved an inward sigh of relief as the glowing blade of mana did not extend beyond its normal reach as he had expected. Such a thing would be possible with a sword like that, if the user ever cared enough to make it actually happen. Gauge had probably not put much thought into his weapon after he created it. Why would he? He was only the most powerful wizard to have ever walked the surface of Darkness Incarnate; why would he ever be concerned with such mundane things as blades when he wielded the power of the stars. Drakol was quite sure that had Gauge taken any interest of the sort the step backward would not have been enough to clear the burning nick of that blade.

"Ambitions always come with a price, Gauge. You should know that as well as I. For all your power you seem to do nothing with it. You say that you are a force far from good, and I can see that. You have more power within you than standing armies and yet you cannot, for all your ambition, drive yourself to lead a conquest across the world." Drakol paused for a moment, letting his voice become detached as if lost in out-spoken thought, "What has bound you here so strongly that you cannot leave." It was in no form a question. The drow did not want to know- he feared the answer.

His mind was bubbling with fear like water in a kettle. Despite it all: His defiant words, posture, and glare, he was terrified. Were he not exerting all force of will to not do it, Drakol was certain that not even he would be saved from blubbering like a frightened child. A mere weakling that had challenged the alpha and was about to have his throat ripped out, Drakol felt his knees getting ready to buckle at any moment. The wizard needed to continue his defiance in order to maintain his will.

[Magic Shards, 0/1/4]

His left arm twitched as he spoke several forceful arcane words in very quick succession. His circle-marked palm aimed itself at the arch-wizard's abdomen. Several shards of needle-sharp mana lurched out of his palm and crossed the gap between them at a run. It would most likely not be enough to do much beyond annoy the wizard if they struck, but the drow wanted to mark him in some way before dying in defiant glory.

At the same time the shards were summoned and cast out of his hand, Drakol's scimitar, slender, delicate, and deadly came up from the inside and met the edge of Gauge's own sword. His goal was to simply knock the blade away and put him in a better position for an attack than the human. When his silvery-steel sword met the glowing white mass of Gauge's own, sparks leaped and spewed off in every direction. Several landed on Drakol's hand, and one landed on his face. They burned, but they were gone shortly afterward.

This was madness. Pure madness. Squaring off against Gauge when he knew he should be running for the hills and trying to escape. Madness. Drakol knew it for the truth, and laughed.

[Magic Shards, 1/3 remaining]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:00 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

warning! this post contains story based character control and my not be suitable for children!

Shards of arcane soon followed rash statements. Drakol was still on the delusion that he could win this fight. Any reasonable man would note the futility and take his death with dignity. True a warrior with some half baked code of honor might fight till the last breath, but such things should be behind a wizard. That was always Drakol’s downfall, why he invested so much time into sword play and not his understanding of the arts was far beyond him. The idea of a spell sword was ridicules, mundane performance in sword and spell could not overcome one who had mastered one art to that of near perfection.

Lost in thought, or perhaps knowing how weak the spell truly was, he lets it strike true against the standing might of his mage mail. The shards do nothing but break against the weave, turning to dust before the defensive prowess. A look of utter disappointment flushed upon his face as Drakol struck his mundane weapon away. He didn’t care, letting the sword fly from his hand.

“You fool. Why on earth do you both casting with such weakness. Am I within your mind so much, wrapping around your brain with a mass fear you can’t resist? These spells you sling do not have any force. That was always your problem. Anything worth doing is worth the time to do it right. Allow me to demonstrate.” Raising his left hand into a fist it begins to glow. Sparks shoot at a small distance, not threatening either caster. “Your pathetic attempts do little more that sadden me. I was so hopping you would have accepted this by now but yet you still put on a pitiful performance in your death. I no longer with to be a part of this story that is your life, allow me to write the last lines. Not with blood as you may so prefer, but with the arcane. Yes, glowing glyphs to guide you strait to hell.”

His fist opens up and turns to look upon Drakol. From the fingertips a massive surge of lightning springs forth and moves to Drakol’s body almost in slow motion. All his memories, the few they shared together, and all those he shared with others. Certainly they passed through is mind as the lightning passes through his body. Brief seconds pass as his body twists and screams in agony and pain.

[Energy Strike 6/1/1]

The lightning stops, leaving nothing but smoke rising from Drakol’s body as well as Allan’s hand. “May you have more dignity in death that you did in life my apprentice.” He turns away; takes a step toward his spire when he stops. He can feel a small twitch of pain, something he hadn’t felt in such a long time. Brilliant white blood is amassing upon his robe, one shard had managed to break through the weave and price his body if only slightly. “Is this what you wanted so badly?” he says turning back to Drakol and placing his finer upon the wound. Crouching down he uses it the blood to draw five connecting symbols on his face. One on the forehead, one on the lid of each eye, and on upon each cheek, all connected by a pentagram. “As I said, glowing glyphs to guide you.”

energy strike: 1 use left.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"NO!"

Musalis' world crumbled around her, or rather what was left of it. Every hit Drakol had taken had killed her a little bit. She had craved to be there, by his side, but he had made her promise to stay away... it was so hard. So very, very hard. But she kept her promise. Until the moment when he died.

There was no other reason why he would lay there so still, too still. No sign that he was alive, not even breathing. Musalis stared at him, for one moment that seemed to last for an eternity. Then she looked at Gauge. And something inside her broke, the only thing that was left.

It was a wall she had built inside herself, to contain all the feelings she felt since she met Drakol. Love for him, jealousy for anyone near him, fear he might leave her, fear for what he was, sorrow that she was dead already... and all those feelings were something she could not show. There would make her act in a way that would make Drakol send her away. So Musalis carefully tried to lock those feelings up.

They grew, had no room to escape, and grew. They took more space inside her, more and more, ate away anything she had left of herself, leaving only one certainty: that she loved Drakol. And now he was dead. Gauge had killed him.

The wall broke, everything she had locked away broke free, and lit her soul aflame with hatred. She had only one thing on her mind: revenge. Slowly, Musalis got to her feet and started to moved towards Gauge, slowly but determined.

Tears ran down her skull, tears of pure life essence.

Her hold of her body slowly became weaker. She lost one finger... another... but still she had the dagger in her hand and moved towards Gauge.

When she reached him, she had only one arm left, her head was loose and one leg dragged after the other. But she still went on, and stabbed, aiming at his heart. The stab had everything she had left of energy and determination behind it, so it came with normal speed and strength, even though her condition should mean that she could manage much less.