It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blood and Chocolate, but Mostly Chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(This is a dream battle that takes place during Drakol's memory-zapping stupor, so he won't remember it.)
(Open to anyone)

Despite a level of control that was almost completely unheard of in one's dreams - not to mention a level of full consciousness - Drakol knew this place for what it was: A dream. Where the hell else would you find an entire castle, courtyard, and city made of chocolate?! While Drakol had only ever had chocolate twice in his life, one way back in his early years and the next at his favorite tavern in Vallandar when a merchant passed though, he knew what chocolate looked like and very clearly remembered the taste. How could one not remember something that tasted so good? He had heard of it being equated to 'sex in your mouth', once, and while he did not want to imagine what sex in his mouth would feel like, he could understand where one might make the a comparison.

Without wasting any time, Drakol broke the hand off of a statue that stood in the centre of the courtyard and busied himself with eating it while taking a stroll around the courtyard to examine it. First came the statue from which he just stole his chocolate delight. It looked like an angel with wings spread wide and high with one hand - the hand he just stole - pointing toward the gate of the courtyard. The other hand held a chocolate spear that was almost exactly the same height as the female that held it. The butt was planted into the chocolate dais and the tip of the spear ended right at the top of her helmeted head. Aside from her helmet which was a full-face guard ordeal, she wore nothing else and stood bare for all others to look at.

Having no interest in a chocolate woman - she wouldn't last long in any sort of heat or crowd - Drakol continued his survey of the courtyard. The ground was surprisingly smooth like the concrete main street that had run through the Vallandar proper, north to south. He had expected it to be an imitation of flagstone. The walls that surrounded the courtyard stood easily three more of his own heights above his head, and then some. The walls were also surprisingly smooth, showing not a crack in their entire being from what he could tell. Next came the castle keep. The thing was a monster with a gaping front door and towered even higher than the surrounding walls did. A pennant, made from chocolate unsurprisingly, hung from the top of the keep. Opposite the keep, through the statue, stood gates that were flung wide and allowed a view of the chocolate city and main street that was sprawled at the bottom of the chocolate hill.

Really, the only thing that didn't appear to be made of chocolate was the sky, and even that had brown tainting its brilliant blue in streaks. There didn't appear to be a sun in this world, and if there was it gave off no heat, but it was still bright enough to see. It say that Drakol was very intrigued by this place would be correct. It was wonderful.

With a delighted smile, he licked the chocolate off of his fingers and began striding toward the castle keep. He had never been inside a castle before, so this was going to be an interesting experience.

(I thought that this would be a fun battleground :))

Post subject: Re: Blood and Chocolate, but Mostly Chocolate(Open)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Musalis came to consciousness not knowing where, nor how she had come there. There was a vague memory of intense pain, but she chose not to dwell on it. Instead, she focused on her surroundings, and came to the conclusion that they were brown. The wall around her were brown, the carpet on the brown floor was brown, the little table in the corner was brown, as were the flowers on top of it.

Musalis had no idea what the brown stuff could be, maybe some kind of wood. It didn't really matter, so Musalis opened the brown door, and went outside. It wasn't really different, but at least the sky gave a hint of another color. At the horizon, far away, she could also see spots of yellow and pink.

Yes, the view was not bad. The door had led her to some kind of huge wall, so she could see far. Pity there was not much to look at. Just a town below her a castle behind her - and everything the same color. Musalis sighted, something was really weird with this place. It seemed surreal, she had no idea where in DI she could possibly be. Maybe she could ask someone.

But as much as she looked, the town seemed to be completely desolated, no living soul in sight.
Bored, Musalis knelt down to examine what the wall, and seemingly the entire world here, was made of. It was not wood, as she had thought first. It felt more like... some sort of food. Smelled like it too, almost enough to make her hungry.

Who would be a town like that? Something really weird was going on here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(If any of you have ever read the Wheel of Time books, you will know where I got my inspiration from for this post.)

The castle proved to be... interesting... to say the least, and quite disconcerting. While walking down several corridors he had seen vases, chests, hangings, and other works of art all made of chocolate. The only problem was that some of these items would shift position from one glance to the next and could, at times, disappear completely before reappearing again. The same went with doors that he passed. Sometimes they were closed at one glance, and open at the next, or somewhere inbetween. There was never any motion though, nor any indication of motion. It was almost as if things just were they way they were at any given moment. Because of this fact, the drow decided not to venture into any of the rooms for fear of being locked in. The thought never crossed his mind that the doors could be opened, but he didn't care to think that far.

After a while he found himself on a high balcony overlooking the city. The whole thing really was made of chocolate! Those disconcerting things kept happening down on the main street too. Rain barrels would be in one place then the next or just gone altogether within a few blinks. The buildings and larger objects like merchant stalls stayed static though. Only smaller items seemed to have the tendency to move or disappear. Then, just as he was about to turn away, an object with a colour other than brown crossed the main street and vanished down another. That meant there was someone else there!

Doing his best to rush through the castle's corridors, and getting lost several times during his rush so he had to backtrack, he made his way back down to the courtyard. As he burst out of the door, he saw a figure - it was tall with gray skin that looked like a slug's - doing handsprings across the courtyard waring garish red instead of the faded green of the first figure. Then, after a few handsprings, the figure vanished. Now he was worried. This place was simply too strange for the drow's liking.

Casting a wary glance around the courtyard looking for more figures his gaze came to rest on a creature that was crouched on the top of the wall. There was no other name for it. Dressed in beautiful-yet-thin silk, the figure on top of the wall had dazzling brunette locks that glistened in the sun's light. That could have made the figure, which was likely a woman, normal except for the fact that she was covered from head-to-foot in bluish-green flesh. He stood and watched the woman for a few moments and waited for her to disappear. When she didn't, Drakol knew that she was like him and called out.

"Hey, you! On top of the walls, can you help me?! I'm rather...lost." Lost didn't even begin to describe what he really was.

(In case you are all wondering: We will be shaped, to each other's eyes and not our own, as our spiritual projections. Since BDF couldn't give me an idea beyond something for music, I decided to make Musalis a siren.
@BDF: For this battle I'm going to treat you as if you always have Siren's Talent active, and using your boon will simply amplify its effect further. We're in a realm that's closer to the gods, after all. :D)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Musalis wandered on the wall, in search of something interesting, but there was nothing of interest there. Everything was empty. Nobody in sight capable of telling her how to get out of here. Just as she was examining a spear that was lying around (a spear that was made of the same material as everything else), she finally met someone in this desolate place.

Unfortunately, however, that someone turned out to be a monster.

Musalis had heard tales and songs about monsters, but she had never actually met some, except for a bunch of random river monsters. This was different, the river monsters had been stupid, and, more importantly, in a river. The monster before her however, looked rather intelligent. More like a kind of devil or demon.

He was tall, his skin covered in scales that emitted a faint glow. Instead of feet and hands the monster had claws. His face was white as bones, interrupted only by eyes that seemed to be made out of fire, and a mouth that seemed to contain black fangs, very sharp fangs. On the the monsters back white gigantic bat-wings spread towards the sky. They were twice as large as the monster itself, and they seemed... misty, as if they were less real than the rest of her enemy. For there was no doubt about it the this monster was responsible for bringing her here, simply because noone else was present who could have done that.

The monster spoke to her revealing more of his disgusting fangs and a long, purple tongue that was split at the end, as if it was a snakes tongue. Horrored by the appearance before her, Musalis didn't get everything the it was saying.

"Monster!", she responded, "Why have you brought me here, and what in Ochres name is this brown material your evil world is made of? ... Anyway, it doesn't matter. I demand that you return me to where I have come from, or I see myself forced to kill you. Maybe that will free me from this foul world you have created."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:28 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

He strode halfway across the courtyard before the female seemed to recover from a momentary startlement. Getting closer, Drakol was able to say for sure that the figure was indeed female, that she had a wonderful bosom, and that her flesh was far from actual flesh. She seemed to be covered in blue-green scales from head-to-foot. Looking at her hands from this distance, Drakol could hardly be sure whether or not they were webbed, but he had the strange feeling that they were. Her arms from her wrists to her elbows were edged by long, thin fins, and she also had a fin running up each calf and up her back. Her face, even at this distance, seemed disturbingly beautiful.

The scales were enough, but everything else screamed only one thing: Siren.

Drakol regretted drawing the siren's attention as surely as he was sure the world around him was made of chocolate. While fear did make him focus, he noted that the hand that he stole from that statue had regrown itself somehow. Any small detail could help with a siren in your presence. Of course, you were only able to do anything until that siren opened her mouth, and indeed this one did.

A melodious voice filled his ears and tugged at his heart. Sorrow, love, anguish, longing, happiness and many more emotions were tangled and twined into that voice that was being forcibly put into his ears. Hardly able to move, much less think, Drakol tried to shake his head to clear it. He was only moderately successful, and he hardly registered the shake anyway. Then, abruptly as the emotion-provoking voice began, it faded and left him feeling dizzy and heartsore. The siren had stopped singing for the moment, and this was the opening that he required to get anything done. He needed to somehow stop her from singing for as long as possible, otherwise he knew that he would be stuck. Perhaps he would never leave this chocolate world if he fell under her spell, perhaps he would... he didn't really want to leave his life to chances and odds that he didn't know.

[Bright Beam, 3/3/2]

A few soft-spoken words bent and twisted the mana around him - that existed everywhere in absolutely every world no matter how remote - and into him. It flowed through his soulforge and coursed down his left arm, bursting forth out of his extended left hand. Seeing as the world was made of chocolate, which was relatively brittle in comparison to other materials, he hoped to knock the siren flying from the wall by blasting a chunk out from beneath her. The beam of writhing colour shot toward the wall beneath the siren's feet like an arrow.

Now all he could do was cross his fingers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:59 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Instead of an answer the monster charged a spell. Not as if a non-magical monster would have been bad enough, but this sure did make things more exciting - and even so, it was a kind of excitement Musalis could do well without. She didn't seem to have a choice, though. Actually, she didn't just have no choice but to fight, she had little options in the fight, too. On the wall, escaping was rather.. difficult, because there was nowhere to escape to. Except 10 meters straight down, an option Musalis would rather consider as her last resort.

Musalis took a few quick steps backwards, out of the quite primitive urge to get away from danger, even if the danger was faster. Oh yes, she had seen spells before, so she knew it would make little difference how far away she was if the spell hit - and she had already established that she couldn't escape.

Before she could start to get really depressed over her cruel fate, the spell was cast. To her surprise it did hit her chest, as she was thought it would, but instead the ground where she had been standing moments before. The spell smashed a hole in the wall, sending lots of smaller and bigger pieces of the brown material flying around. Musalis was hit by several, and almost pushed of the wall. While she stumble on the far too thin wall, trying not to fall of, she yelled at her opponent:

"Now what was that supposed to be good for? Look, what you have done, the nice wall has a hole. Who's supposed to fix that, huh? And you almost knocked me of too... aaaah!

One of her feet had failed to find solid wall behind her and stepped into the empty air. Musalis lost balance, her other foot slipped, and... she managed just in time to grab hold of the wall with her hands. Hanging from the wall, she realized she needed time to get back up, else she would be done for. Luckily, she had exactly the right boon from her God to buy time. At least in the past, it had always worked, with this monster she was less sure... maybe it didn't have feelings at all. While she started to climb on the wall again, Musalis started to sing.

When I think that I
have problems,
And when I ask myself why
do I have problems

Then I think of all the times
Before
When I had problems or went off
to war

And I know this here is nothing
And I know I can get by
And I know I can climb up this stupid wall, why can't it be made out of something less slippery, I don't know what people were thinking when they built this, I mean seriously, this is...

[Siren's Talent used 2/3 remaining]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Seeing the siren begin to stumble as a shower of chocolate was produced from the wall, Drakol turned away and prepared to run from the courtyard. Words - not words but more song or at least what sounded like it - drifted from the siren's mouth as he turned his back and began to pull at his heart's strings. He had to fight for every step that he could make, and those were not many during her very short speech. Then he was brought relief as the siren fell from the wall. At least he presumed she had fallen because her words had stopped dead and been punctuated by a sort of yelp. He made two more strides across the courtyard when the siren's song from the other side of the wall hit him like a mallet.

Sinking to his knees, tears began to form in the drow's eyes. Whether or not they were tears of joy or sorrow, Drakol did not know for certain, nor did not exactly care at that moment, he was too busy riding waves of emotion to care. Involuntarily he rose from his crouch and began to plod slowly toward the wall. Four strides covered those that he was able to make in the din of silence, and another three covered what he had made before. Within his head with what was left of his ability to think, he realized that what he had experienced before had been nothing like an actual siren's song. That was simply her speech, and even that pulled heart-strings. That ability also made it's best attempt to will his hands upward to cover his ears and, after seven shuffling steps toward the wall, he was able to manage it.

The sound dulled but did not die. Still, it left him with a modicum of room to think instead of being washed away in a tide of uncontrollable emotions. Even now he had to battle the rise and fall, and that was painful at best, but it was manageable. There was only one problem that Drakol could think of, and that problem was very very large. He couldn't remove his hands from his ears without uncovering them, and that meant that he would be completely unable to retaliate against the siren.

With nothing else to do, Drakol ran to the centre of the courtyard and crouched behind the dais upon which the statue stood in an attempt to make her think that he was gone. With nothing left to do but wait, Drakol uncovered one ear but kept the hand close, just in case she decided to sing again. He was hoping for a shot at surprise when she thought he was gone, if she thought for a moment that he song could be resisted. Everything hinged on that: She needed to believe that someone could resist the power of her song.

Otherwise, he was in deep trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(Drakols soul image is bigger than he is. So much for hiding ^^ (oh, and that also means he'll be stronger than normal physically))

Still muttering to herself, Musalis managed to get on top of the wall again.

The monster was gone. She looked carefully around, but there wasn't really a place to hide on this wall. Musalis sighed with relief. Now she could just go, without having to think about that creature.

'But go where?', she thought to herself, 'This thing created this world. I don't know how to get out of here. I don't even know if there is a way out. Maybe I am trapped here as long as the monster is alive.'

She didn't like it, but it seemed like the best choice to go after the monster, and force it to let her go. Her good mood dropped instantly. Life really seemed to hate her right now - her best choice was to fight a monster. One that was even bigger than normal people, and those were already much bigger than her. The monster... at least four times her size, Musalis guessed.

She had reached the end of the wall, and was now in a courtyard, where the monster was badly hidden behind the statue in the center. The monster seemed pretty dumb if it really thought it could hide from her behind something smaller than it was. Actually, it was also pretty dumb to run ran after it had managed to push her off the wall. That would certainly make things easier for her. But maybe it just played to be stupid - or, even worse, it played with her. Cats normally didn't kill their prey at once, the played with it first, keeping it on the edge of death... Musalis shivered. Almost falling from the wall, given enough time to get up... yes, there were certainly similarities. Maybe it was best not to attack. She could try to speak to it once more, if it was intelligent there was a chance the two of them could settle this peacefully.

Musalis pause in front of the door leading to the wall, and had almost begun to speak when she noticed that standing in front of a hole in the wall that lead to a wall it was easy to fall off from was not very smart. She took a few steps to her right, and started to speak:

"Hello, mister cat... ah, I mean monste... no, no, that's wrong too. Okay, I'll just start once more. Hello, mister I-don't-know-your-name-yet. It seems an accident has brought me to this world of yours and even though I appreciate all of your hard work I'd like to go now. Could you show me the exit?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(I knew that :P. That just simply goes to show that he has no idea what he really looks like :) )

The faint slapping of the siren's webbed feet on the top of the chocolate wall was enough to tell Drakol that she had not fallen and had regained the wall. The slapping was slow, as if she was surveying the courtyard to catch sight of him. It was a difficult task not to leap out and hurl a spell at her right then, but he wanted to wait a bit longer. The slapping faded for a moment, but then appeared again at ground level, but it stopped abruptly. His throat clenched and his heart pounded faster in the silence that followed, but his hand had already gone back up to his ear.

The words came through the covering at a mumble, and he used them to cover the sound of his own muttered spell-casting. It seemed that the siren was simply going to keep talking and talking, which made sense given that her voice with enough magical qualities to snare the heart was her greatest weapon. All he could do was continue his casting while the siren talked and talked. No doubt she was hoping to somehow lure him out of hiding with that lilting dirge in her voice. Perhaps she did think that her song-spell could be resisted, perhaps she didn't, but it didn't matter either way.

It was time to strike and silence the siren once and for all.

[Magic Shards, 5/2/1]

Drakol leaped and rolled from behind the cover of the statue out into the open, coming up on one knee and sweeping his arms out before him, all the while screaming: "Shut up!" as loud as possible. At seven points across his sweeping arc, foot-long spears of mana crystal materialized and leaped forward at a sprint. The large arc was meant to cover any lateral movement that she may try to make in an attempt to avoid the coming shards. He supposed that a second row of shards may have been a better idea, but in hindsight options aside from the chosen one always looked better.

The truth was that he simply wanted to end the siren's existence as quickly as possible so he could escape the dream and make it back to the real world. This dream of chocolate cities, castles, and flagstones was becoming something more of a nightmare that he needed to fight his way out of. In fact, it had become that, and he knew that he needed to fight his way out of the nightmare.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(the environment of the battle is too static. This is a dream, after all. Things are supposed to change, to act irrasjonal. That should at least make things more... interesting)

Once the creature started to glow with magic again, Musalis knew it was going to cast another spell. This time, however, she had plenty of space to escape to. Right when he was casting it, she would jump to her left, and voila! she had escaped. The monster got up behind the fountain, and roared and casted the spell.

Musalis jumped, high with confidence that she had escaped.

Much to her surprise, when she landed she was pierced by some sort of magic spell. And even more to her surprise, it hurt her, even though it had gone between her ribs, and left no mark at all, except in her robe. But she experienced pain as if she had a fleshy body that had been pierced. Maybe that was because it was an unusual spell - for some reason, it had not vanished, like most spells did when they hit their target. Musalis started to get really annoyed with this fight. It was time to fight back.

She drew the thing the beast had thrown out of her chest, and hurled it at her opponent. She had never thrown a spell before, and it was a weird feeling. The spell wasn't actually solid... but somehow, she managed to hold it. The meaning of 'spellcaster' suddenly opened for some interesting alternate interpretations. For a moment, Musalis felt full of power. Slowly, and with even a glimpse of pride, she
watched it flying through the air, and hoped time would slow so that she could stay in this moment for a little longer.

Time didn't slow. If anything, it seemed to speed up.

The spell only managed to hit the statues head.

Fortunately, the head fell on and on the spot where the monster was hiding - if you could call what it was doing hiding. Well, that was certainly a start, even tough not what she had been trying to do. But things were about to get even stranger. The statue seem to start to bleed where its head had fallen off. Brown, damping liquid came pouring out, more than any body could actually hold. And it made no sign to stop. Musalis stared disbelieving at the statue. Even liquid was made of that brown stuff? Than what was she supposed to drink when she got thirst.... oh, right. As a skeleton she didn't need to drink.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:02 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

A spear sunk into the body, but blood did not flow when removed. Drakol found that strange, but then made the assumption that she was either magically enchanted - most likely - or that she had mutated in some way to prevent bloodloss - unlikely. Either way, he had to accept the fact that his opponent would not be weakening via blood loss and needed to continue on. At least the wounds were real enough and would prevent her from singing or speaking if placed in the right spots, and could potentially kill her too.

Could one die in this dream? It was a dream after all, and he had died in many of his dreams before and nothing had ever come of it. Still, there was something different about this dream that the drow did not like. The physics were too real for a dream. Everything worked almost exactly as it was supposed to. He couldn't fly - granted he never tried - and things weren't constantly changing shape or shifting scenery altogether. Granted, some things seemed to be unable to make up their mind on where to be, but other things like the statue seemed to resist change. How odd this world was. Almost like a mirror of the real, only cast in chocolate rather than in stone and gold.

The shard that had buried itself into the siren flew into the statue to his right and knocked the head clean off its shoulders, prompting a steady, thick stream of liquid that looked like chocolate but ran like water. The statue began to melt after that point, running in on itself and seemingly disappearing from the courtyard, only the chocolate decay did not stop there. The Dais and the ground around the statue began to fall in upon itself and wink out of existence as well. The chocolate water continued its stream out of what seemed to be mid air, though at times the brown flashed through green. A very curious happening, one that Drakol may have pondered had he not been standing on that very courtyard only four feet from the 'choc-rot'.

He ran for the wall behind him, hoping that a ledge would appear around it because of the castle's foundation and give him a foothold. It never occurred to him in that moment of panic that the foundation would be made of chocolate as well and, rather than slowing down, the chocolate rot sped up, quickly creating a gaping chasm of seemingly nothing.

Drakol didn't let everything slip in his flight though. As he began to run, he threw another spell at the siren. This one was more to keep her off balance than actually hurt her. By all rights, she shouldn't be singing or standing anymore anyway with that hole straight through her lung. But this was a dream, and despite realistic physics, things could happen in a dream that would make some double-take and most triple.

[Magic Bolt,1/3/4]

The small ball of glowing energy rushed forward out of his palm as he turned and ran. It was aimed at the siren's feet for two reasons. It would likely cause her to jump backward in fear of losing those strangely beautiful webbed feet, and it would burst in a bright flash once it hit the ground. Granted if it did hit her feet it would cause no damage at all, but that was the chance he needed to take and hope beyond hope that she had no knowledge of magic.

[Magic Bolt, 4/5 uses remaining]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Horrified Musalis watched the gap that appeared in the middle of the courtyard. Everything seemed to melt and vanish inside it, regardless of what it was. Or maybe that was only because everything was made of the same material. She had no intention of finding out if she would melt too, though, so Musalis ran for the only exit: back onto the wall. Just as she started to run, a spell missed her by a second. She had entirely forgotten about the monster. Oh, well, it didn't matter in comparison with what was going on.

Once she stood outside, however, she saw that her plan had one vital flaw: The destruction was not limited to the courtyard. The entire city melted before her eyes. Houses, road, statues, tools, everything just turned into a brown fluid and filled the world with stream, whirls and quickly swallowed everything else. Musalis looked behind her, but there too nothing was left of the courtyard, or the castle which it belonged to. There was nothing else left. It was just her, and the wall, and the mast... wait a minute. What mast? Disbelieving Musalis turned and touched it. It didn't turn out to be a illusion. Didn't a mast belong to a ship?

Just as she thought that, Musalis noticed that she no longer stood on a wall. Instead, it was a ship, most definitely. It swayed with the waves of the brown sea around her, it had a mast, a reeling, sails, row with rowers, sailors and everything.

Musalis got excited. It was the first time she had encountered other living beings here except for the monster. That these people were made out of the same stuff as everything else didn't really matter.

"Hello", sa said to someone who seemed to be in charge, "It's nice to meet others around here, my name is Musalis, and..."

"Hold it right there, miss admiral.", the captain said, "We ain't got no time for no introductions. See, me an' the lads are 'bout to enter real combat here. We need you to guide us, talkin' can wait to later."

He pointed at the surrounding waters, and Musalis noticed other ships. They were hard to see in the water that had the same color, but once she had spotted some it became easier. And the more she saw the more ships seemed to exist. At last the entire sea behind her seemed to be filled with ships.

"Wow.", Musalis said, impressed, "So what are we fighting?"

The captain pointed wordless in front of her. She was quite sure that the sea there had been empty, but now it was filled with at least as many ships. Only those ships were not brown, they were black.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:07 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The choc-rot caught up to Drakol and quickly consumed everything around him. The castle at his back seemed to melt and then vaporize, and the walls sank away to nothing. Soon nothing but the very tiny patch of chocolate upon which he stood remained, and all around him was a gaping black abyss. There was no hope for escape, the rot had moved far too quickly, and now it was eating away his last perch. Rather than wait for the bitter end, which would make things far less enjoyable, Drakol stepped off his tiny chocolate disk and fell into the abyss.

Rather, he sank very slowly, as if he was falling through jello, until his feet touched solid ground. He couldn't have fallen more than six feet, but everything had changed in that very perplexing way that dreams had. First he noticed the pitch and roll of the ground beneath him, though he found himself riding with that pitch and roll as if it was second nature. Next he noticed the hustle and bustle around him as rather demonic looking forms - all made of chocolate - ran around on a solid black floor. He leaned backward, for some reason knowing something was there, and found a thick trunk at his back, then he looked outward.

The view to the front was empty aside from more chocolate lava that seemed to be moving, and that strange brown-blue sky, all obscured with strange looking bulged sheets of chocolate that hang from cross-posts. A look to either side, however, made everything click as he saw a massive armada of ships arrayed around him. What he was standing on wasn't a floor, it was a deck, the trunk was a forward mast, and he was looking out over the bow of a very large first-rate flagship. He had only ever read about ships in books, and new very little about them, but he understood enough that being on a flagship was a very large honor and showed that the admiral was aboard.

"Admiral, sir, they'll soon be in range." A serpent-like first officer with a hissing accent said from one side. Confused, Drakol looked forward again and saw a fleet, massive in size, of brown ships very much like his own.

"Very well, make ready."

After that, the deck was filled with very organized chaos as shouts of 'make ready' rolled across the deck and up from belowdecks. Then, the ships, all in unison, swung to their right side as the other ships from the brown armada came close enough. Then, as Drakol's jaw dropped from what he saw on the other deck, thunder like he had never heard before rang from across the line of ships as a giant broadside was delivered.

Oddly enough, it seemed that the cannons did not blow themselves apart from the explosions within. Granted, those explosions shouldn't have been possible in the first place. Neither should chocolate sails, ships, masts, or people... but...

Drakol sighed. He hoped that he would wake up soon, this dream was just far too perplexing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"Do you have a map?", Musalis asked. She knew little about combat, mostly from songs and such. And those normally didn't tell things as they were. What little she believed of information about wars was that it was smart to stay as far away from combat than possible. So her ship had been ordered to pull back, away from the front line.

Out of nowhere a table with a blank white map appeared before her. White. Well, that was certainly something new. She broke a little piece of chocolate from the table and placed it on the map. The table regrew and the piece on the map transformed itself in a little ship. Musalis was too confused to care. She broke of more pieces, and tried to set them up the way she thought her fleet was positioned. All of the pieces became little ships.

"Is this at least somewhat correct?", she asked the captain of the ship. He threw a quick glance at the map, and added a few ship. Then he somewhere got black shipminiatures, and added those as well. Musalis studied the map for a long time, moved some of the miniatures to get a notion of how some situations would evolve and started at the map for some more time.

"So, basically we have the advantage at the sides", she told the captain, in order to clear her own thoughts. Speaking what you thought forced you to formulate your ideas clearer than you had to in your mind, "In the mid-section, they have the advantage. You could almost say that they have on large fleet in the middle, and we have two, one on each side, but smaller ones. Now it would be logical to surround them, in order to catch their fleet between our ships. However, according to what you told me about those... cannons?... they would be able to shoot at both our fleets at the same time. So what we have to do is to flank them with an angle, so that their ships can't face both of ours at the same time. So the right fleet will move up besides them and attack from there, while the left fleet stops and attacks from where it is now.

The other critical thing to consider is this ship. We have little defence here in this middle section, so they could easily cut through to us. We have to make it harder for them to get here... Don't turn the ships in this section around to face the enemy. If we do, they have much more area to attack, and we will be sunk in no time. Instead, let them continue to face the enemy with their front, and move some cannons to those fronts, in order to be able to fire without giving an easy target.

"Yes, sir.", the captain said, and a flagger sent the message to the other ships. Musalis was intrigued how he could tell all that with just some flags, but there were more important things at hand. The ships entered range, and the air got filled with balls of chocolate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:45 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

A second set of explosions filled the air as the shots from both sides exploded and tore chocolate decking apart. The ships on either side of Drakol had large pieces of their sides blown out after several of the explosive cannonballs from the other ships exploded against them. To say that the ships went down like rocks after that would be an accurate statement. It seemed, though, that the brown armada had done no better, and perhaps had fared worse. The cannons of the black fleet were also filled with explosive rounds that would erupt upon impact. With their bows facing forward and literally blown off, the ships that had faced the broadside were all sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

It seemed that, at least on his direct surroundings, Drakol's own fleet had fared better than the enemy, though the lines of ships seemed to extend for quite a distance and thunder was still rolling in from the sides. It sounded like there was still an engagement taking place on the flanks.

It clicked, then, after the smoke cleared that his own armada was being flanked, though there was nothing he could do now. The cards were thrown and his wedge was being countered by a dual flank. Interesting to say the least, if one pictured it in their head. It seemed like that wedge should be able to cut through that dual flank easily enough, but Drakol knew the right of it. The sides of those wedges would get shaved way down before punching through.

Needing to improvise a defense or be crushed, Drakol set to sending some of the ships that were clipping along in the middle of the fleet toward the flanks in an attempt to strengthen them. Signal flags waved like crazy from mast to mast as the order was carried backward across the sea.

Then Drakol turned his attention ahead as he saw what every admiral wants to see; his enemy's flag ship floating some distance off under light guard. While hanging back and observing a situation from afar was a good idea on land, it was cowardly and impractical on water, especially with such a light guard. Still, it was an opportunity that could not be passed up. More signal flags were raised and lowered down the masts and the flagpoles at either end of the ship, sending orders to his own escorts. They would engage the guard ships while Drakol himself took on the flag ship. There would be no cannon fire from his ship against the opposing flag. That flag ship was simply too nice to not take as a prize.

Shouts for the long-nines to be readied rolled across the water from the other decks as the ships made their course toward the brown flagship and her escort. Shouts of 'prepare to board' rolled across the deck of his own ship as planks and grappling hooks were made ready. Weapons were drawn by his twisted and demonic looking crew, and the first officer, the snake-like one, approached Drakol. "I think it would be best if you went belowdecks, sir. Leave the fighting to us less important people."

Drakol knew the wisdom in that as surely as anything else he knew from books. A general that jumped into the fray with the rest of his men was not able to give directions as they were needed. It was better for that general to sit back atop a hill and shout orders from there."Not this time, Aleister. This time I will be joining you." He could not see the smile on his spiritual projection's face, but it looked absolutely devilish.