It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Shifter Drifter (NineXNuncia)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

It was oddly amusing to see a pudgy bear trying to chase him down.

It was like watching it in slow motion. Not that it was cute and cuddly enough to want to hug. It still had some very decently sized canines and claws. And it was angry at him. Not a very good combination. The drifter had never had to fight a bear before, so he wasn't quite sure what he could do against it. And he knew it was still a woman in there somewhere so he really didn't want to hurt it either. Not hurting women was just so much a part of him, it was probably going to get him killed one of these days. Maybe even this day.

The drifter had a little time to plan as the black and white bear 'charged' him. He was obviously going to have to either try to calm her down again or just make it not worth her time to fight him. And he wasn't even sure if she could understand him when she was in the form a bear. But he could at least try. But first he had to try and get some distance so he could try and talk to her again. And with that decision, the bear was upon him. It was now on it's back legs with it's paws above it's head. The woman had easily gained a hundred and forty pounds with this transformation. If it was trying to push him over and land on him, he was going to have a very bad day. The weight would probably crack his collarbones and his ribs so it was best that didn't happen.

And since her motion was all up and forward at this point, he just had to go low and past her. As she was just about to reach the peak of her stand up, he went into motion. Dropping into a really low stance, the drifter dropped his left shoulder and rolled past her and to his left. Or at least tried to roll. As he put all his weight onto his left leg, a massive flare of pain shot through the drifter's leg. The blow he had taken from the ram horns was coming back to haunt him. His leg almost stopped working and his forward roll turned into more of a tumble. He didn't get nearly was far away as he wanted to or get there as gracefully as he could have hoped for. He took an extra roll to get a little farther away and turned to face the she-bear. The drifter stayed in a crouch in case he had to try and get away again. Trying once more to calm her down, he also tried to stall for time.

"Really, I am sorry about how we met. I don't even know your name! Can we start this over again with proper introductions?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She snorted as her paws thumped empty air, a bit more aggravated that he wouldn't stand still, though not surprised. Though she was glad to see her primary attack with her ram form had damaged him enough to slow him down, he wasn't slow enough. She saw out of the corner of her eye that he tumbled, barely out of her reach as she turned around to face him. He seemed almost amused at her new form, which only made her snarl a little more, since the whole point to being this was not to elicit laughter but to bring out fear-- the size, the claws, the overall effect of a Panda attacking; fear not funny.

She could tell he was hurting, as his position now was crouched, it was more defensive than offensive. She snorted again He was the one that not only attacked me, but then had the guts to taunt me, and is now.... Asking for a redo? What does he think I am, retarded? she thought as the man spoke to her, obviously not sure if her forms elicited the same knowledge base and hearing skills as her true form;

"Really, I am sorry about how we met. I don't even know your name! Can we start this over again with proper introductions?"

She shook her head simply at his request, not overly interested in being civil with the man that had leaped out of a tree to kill her with a long hard stick. And then taunted her. Oh yea, definitely not interested. The only thing she was interested in at this point in time was showing him how mean a woman can be when you piss her off, and that was exactly what she was now. Pissed.

Starting another dash in slow motion, she lumbered towards him, no longer snarling or growling, just simply running (if you can call what a panda does running) towards him, intent on at least catching him. And by the way that he reacted with his left leg, she was sure that he'd be dashing more to the left than the right, using his better leg to push off with and catering more to his left leg, so if he was going to dodge her rush, she would have her paw ready to smack him one as he dodged past her. If he didn't take the barreling like a man that was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

(Ok, this had me stumped for a while. I really don't want to hurt you and it's really putting a hamper on what I can do here. Also, I tried to research panda attacks and just ended up watching panda cubs fighting each other for an hour.)

Well, the she-panda listened to him about as well as any female anything ever did.

The shake of the panda's head probably meant that she still wasn't really interested in talking to him. Go figure, right? The black and white bear charged again, but this time it had the same full speed determination she had when she was a ram. As slow as the panda was, it was still a bad idea to turn his back on it and run. If he stumbled or his leg seized up again, she would be on him and the muscles on a human back where a lot thinner and the distance to vital organs shorter. And it's hard to fight back with a massive bear sitting on your back while it mauls you.

Bollocks, I really, really don't want to hurt her but I can't keep running. At this rate, I'm just letting her push me around and letting her think I'm just a coward. I at least have to make her think twice about charging at me over and over again so I can have some time to try and get her to relax.

The drifter had less knowledge of bears than a blacksmith had knowledge of woodworking. Some theory, but no practical real world experience. The drifter figured a joint was similar to a human's joint and a muscle was a muscle. How wrong could he go? Worse thing that could happen is he would have an angry bear problem. But there was no possible way something like that could happen, right? It just didn't seem possible at this point.

He still didn't trust his left leg so he wasn't going to push it. He waited until the she-bear got close enough before he acted. The distance wasn't that far between them, so the bear didn't have much time to accelerate, but he didn't have much act either. The drifter waited until the bear lifted up her right paw so that the arm that he was attacking with already busy doing another action and a swipe would be off balance. As soon as his moment came, he dashed to his left. As he was moving, he swung his right arm all the way out so that he had full reach and speed with his blackjack. The head of the blackjack would strike the panda's shoulder dead center. The entire time he was swinging, the words It's just a bear were racing through his head over and over again. But he still knew there was a woman in there some where and he ended up pulling his blow at the end. It was only about two thirds as strong as he could have made it. He just couldn't bring himself to completely follow through on it. The drifter's run past the bear was angled to bring him over to where his staff was if nothing impeded his run.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She caught the air as her paw missed again, her anger getting more fueled by the lack of attacks landing. I have to train this bear up more, she's too slow for my styles, but I know she can take a beating.... she thought as she turned her head to watch him pass her again, a slight snarl coming from her muzzle.

~~

"Ha ha~! You missed me again, slow poke!" her brother exclaimed, leaping into the next tree as her short child legs carried her under the limbs her brother ran on. "Not fair, come down an' fight me like a man!" she had yelled up at him, getting furious at her brother for staying away from her, always dodging.... She had slashed at a tree, getting her dagger stuck in the hard wood trunk, no matter how she pulled and tugged it would not budge. She gave a growl snarl and tugged at it harder and harder, her brother up in the tree laughing at her. No matter how nice he was to her any other day, when ever they played hunter-prey, she was always just a little slow, always just a little less capable than her older brother. And it was wearing on her.

Her father had pulled the dagger out of the tree easily and handed the small blade back to his daughter, dropping and hand to her head "You need to train more, Nuncia, and then you can catch even the wind..." She looked up at her father and gave a hard stare, nodding "Yes father. I will catch my brother. And then I will let nothing slip past me again..."

Training day after day, year after year, she had managed to better her brother, and shifting only helped with that, the Ram defensive and fast, the leopard light and quick, yet deadly when underestimated, and the panda, her defensive offense. With her forms she had thought that she could catch the very wind she ran with, and now, this new realm... it felt as if she were that small child again.

~~

She let her memories flow through her as she watched the man seemingly in slow motion himself lash out and strike her with his stick, noticing the slight flicker of emotion over his face as he did so, deciding at the last second to pull out of the follow through, lessening the damage given. But what confused her the most was the impact of that stick of his, even after him lessening it; she felt it bounce off her shoulder, somewhere along her shoulder anyways, and yet it felt as if she had been hit with a hammer instead... She fell over onto her left side, curling around her middle as her paws reached out for his ankles, hoping to at least trip him while he was running, stalling him before getting to that staff of his.

She would not be bested again, she would beat this drifter and continue her training, until she was able to catch the wind with her strikes, and the power to destroy those who stand in her way or threaten her life. She was no child any longer. She was a woman now, and as such she would not back down, she would only push forwards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

The beauty of the ground rushing up to greet you was novel the first time it happened.

The fourth or fifth time it happened was a lot less cool. Sure the bear's swipe hadn't gutted him, but the amount of grass stains and wide area impacts he was accumulating really sucked. The bear had managed to drag his left foot just far enough behind his right foot that when he brought it forward, his feet got tangled up and he took another plunge. His arms were splayed out in front of him and he couldn't manage to get them under him to stop him from hitting the ground full force.

His chest struck the ground first at full speed. His armor held it's shape, stopping him from breaking anything but it still shoved the air from his lungs. The next thing to bounce off the ground was his face. The drifter managed to turn his head a bit and tuck it in so that he only scrapped his face above his right eye. Having gained a bit of 'resistance' to the ground rushing at him, so to speak, he recovered from this fall a lot faster than he had his previous falls. As he was on the up side of his bounce, he got some traction with his hands and managed to make it into a clumsy bear crawl over to his staff.

Grabbing his staff, the drifter executed the most graceful move so far. Grabbing his staff with both hands evenly spaced, the blackjack also held in his right hand parallel with the staff, the drifter spun around and planted his rump on the slick grass. Holding the staff parallel to the ground and across his body, the drifter slid a bit backwards on the grass. He had been fully expecting the bear to be on his heels and looking to take a bite out of him. Holding the staff up was only a feeble hope that he could actually hold off the bear if it lunged at him.

Seeing that it was just sitting there where it had been before, the drifter finally slowed down enough to take a breath. He placed the blackjack firmly into the back of his pants so that he could focus on just holding one of his weapons at a time. He had no idea how he could get out of this any more. The drifter had given the woman every chance to back down and tried to grovel his way out of it. There was no compromising with the woman. The drifter was starting to feel he would really regret what was going to come out of this battle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She laughed inside when she caught his foot and watched the drifter stumble to a face plant/belly flop onto the ground, the impact making her wonder if he'd broken bones at all, but seeing him scramble on all fours to the staff made her smile fade-- this one had some decent training and resistance to being pummeled by the ground. Though he seemed to have little to no experience dealing with bears, or unforgiving Sylvans, he still had a resistance that impressed her.

She lay on her side for a moment, wondering a bit how nice the bruise was going to ache as she tried to get up clumsily, getting her paws under her to lift her to a sitting position, looking to the drifter, expecting a quick blow to the head with that staff of his, or worse yet that stick. Yet as she watched, the man only sat, seemingly expecting the same of her. Interesting. He no longer seems passive about this entire thing. Maybe he has realized as of yet that I will not stop until I am satisfied, since it was he who attacked me first...

She got up on all fours and gave a shake of her head, giving a shake of her whole body mostly to get the blow to stop stinging, but also to put on the show like that blow did nothing to her. Better for him to think she was an indestructible tank than to think that little whipper stick actually hurt, even through the panda's thick skin. She lazily started to walk forwards, thinking of how best to approach this; she circled him lazily, as he sat on his rump only going around him once, watching him as he watched her, her circle giving him a good 2 meter radius so as to be clear of that staff of his. She noted the radius of the staff and the defensive position of the man and decided that a lunge would be the best, once back in front of him, she turned quickly to barrel him over, planning on planting her paws on his shoulders to pin him down. Maybe then she'd decide what to do with him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

A brilliant man once wrote that and it was exactly how the drifter felt right now. He had been completely unable to change the mind and temperament of the woman-beast that he faced through words and actions. She was still completely focused on bestowing violence upon him. He was going to have to stoop to levels he had never hoped to have to stoop to. But he could still try not to shred his moral code. It was still possible.

As the bear-woman started to circle him, the drifter scrambled to his feet. He shifted his hands to a proper grip on his staff, left hand in an overhand grip and his right in an underhand grip. He let the bear circle him, keeping a keen ear out for where the bear was. It was well out side and easy reach with his staff, telling him it was being careful of him now that he had struck her. The bear made an entire circle around him before making any sort of offensive action. When it was directly in front of him again, the bear barreled in toward him.

The rush wasn't as bad as the woman's rush had been when she had been a ram, a bit slower and with a lot more soft spots available. [Thou shall not kill! Unless they deserveth it!] Holding his ground, his staff was already pointed directly at where the bear had started it's rush from. As the bear started to come in, the tip of the drifter's staff dipped down a little before making a half circle to his right so that the tip was even with the height of his shoulders. It reached it's peak just as the bear was coming into range. Snapping his right hand down and his left hand up as fast as he could, the drifter dropped the tip of his staff directly onto the nose of the bear. He shifted his attack just a bit so that even if he did end up hurting her, it wasn't going to disfigure her if she kept wounds after transforming back into a person. [Non-superficial x1 use left] It was a technique he had worked on for years after he gave up his sword. The blow was modified just so, transferring the blow to beneath the surface. It kept blunt attacks from bursting skin through sheer force and gave him a way to bypass some armors.

The drifter followed all the way down with his stroke, pushing it almost all the way down to the ground. Just as his strike was finishing, the drifter did a little hop step backwards, keeping some distance between him and the bear in case his attack had as little effect as his previous one had. Maybe a tap on her nose would be enough to change her mind, he certainly hoped so, but the drifter felt it would probably just piss her off more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:47 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She watched the man stand and get his staff ready, but didn't really take that into account as she rushed him. She had figured she would get thumped on the head, and readied herself for that blow, but instead the blow was planted square on her nose, which being a soft spot on any creature made it hurt all the more-- but it was the follow through that hurt the most. The blow itself made her entire muzzle hurt, making her teeth and her head hurt like a bolt through her head, and as the staff continued in its downward stroke, her forward momentum made her ram her face into it more, which as it swept down made her head drop until her chin hit the ground, making her feet stumble at her face and her body continuing forwards with the momentum, made her go ass over apple cart over her head, hurting her neck as she tried to tuck it as her rear went over and landed with a thump where her head had been, her neck feeling as if it had almost snapped with the bears weight and the blow to the nose making her entire head throb.

She shifted back out of sheer dazed pain, her small Sylvan form sitting back on the ground with the bruising on her shoulder already forming a deep purple under the grey brown tones of her skin, and with a hand to her face, her nose was bleeding; not broken, though of that she had to thank the bears natural durability. That and her neck had serious whiplash from her decent. And now her rear hurt as well from the quick thump that she had landed on it. Sitting haphazardly with her right leg curled under her and her left straight out, her right hand to her face and the other holding herself up behind her, she looked if anything pitiful. Over her hand her eyes glared at him, trying her hardest not to shed a tear as her head and nose throbbed painfully.

"So first you try to kill me and now you wont even take the beating in retribution, and instead take it out on me, when you were the one to start it? What a nice man you are..." she said, her voice muffled slightly by her hand and more venomous than the last time as the blood ran down her chin, dripping onto the earth between her legs. It was her eyes though that showed just how badly she wished to tear this guy to shreds-- they alone shone with the hatred that only eyes could show, even as her shoulder and face throbbed, she still wished to beat him good.

She got up slowly, wiping the blood as best she could from her face, spitting out whatever had come into her mouth as it ran down her face, and glared daggers at the man standing before her. Turning her back, she walked towards her cloth and kris, picking them up and putting the cloth back on and replacing the kris at her side, she gave another spit and wipe of her face, and looked over her shoulder. "You best find something else to eat. And make it quick. If your not out of this wood by nightfall, I will be back, and not in any mood to talk and that I can promise you."

She left the man standing there in his defensive position, heading into the woods to find another watering hole to wash herself in. Her stomach growled, and she figured if she were this hungry after that fight, that man had to be ravenous by now-- especially to want to eat an animal such as herself...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:47 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

This wasn't how the drifter wanted to win this fight. He would have been fine losing the fight completely if it hadn't meant a sure death for him. He had broken down and struck a woman, twice even. Sure, she had actually been an animal both times he had struck her but it still didn't feel right. Now she was sprawled before him as a woman again, bleeding from her nose and mouth and a large bruise forming on her shoulder. He almost wanted to rush over to her and help tend to her.

Almost.

The sheer amount of poison and daggers in her glare was probably strong enough to kill a small animal at twenty paces. If he got close enough to try and help her, his life would be forfeit. And he hadn't run from her for the last few minutes just to die now. Instead, he just let his staff drop from his right hand and droop to the ground. It almost broke him to see her sitting on the ground and looking so pathetic and hurt.

"You best find something else to eat. And make it quick. If your not out of this wood by nightfall, I will be back, and not in any mood to talk and that I can promise you."

The warning wasn't lost on the drifter. He had been waiting for that line the entire battle and he wasn't going to let it go now. His leg was starting to flair up again and there were bruises starting to form all over his chest. He only waited around long enough for her to turn her back and start to walk away from him. Quickly, the drifter turned away and started to hike as fast as he could through the woods. He had to use his staff for it's most basic function, supporting his weight as he walked away. He pushed through foliage much thicker than he had to just to make sure that he could hear anything following him. She might have admitted defeat but the drifter wasn't sure if she really meant it.

(And so it ends. Could any Mods put up a poll for us?)