It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sunset City(Moonhowl)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:40 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Accepting that wildlife would continue to avoid her even more than they avoid a fur gatherer, a newly estranged elf gave into loneliness and headed towards a fairly large settlement that rested on the horizon of the forest she was leaving. The soft light of dawn sapped away the morning dew, which had left even the road moist enough to get her sandals dirty. As she turned onto stone road, a horse drawn wagon caught up, and stopped at Ellia’s side. A younger elf with windswept blonde hair offered the passenger seat, and upon her reluctant acceptance, filled her in on the cities day long festival. He explained how he and his father ran a small business at events like these, one operated a stand that sold unique pastry treats, and the other operated a throwing knife game, with prizes for those who did well. He energetically explained an incident in the past where one of the customers got fed up and tried to throw the knife at him, but luckily missed. He laughed as he told Ellia “That’s why we use dull knifes and softer targets now!

The rest of the ride in was filled with the young elf babbling on about various experiences, most of which were only half heard by Ellia. It wasn’t so much that they were boring tales, just that the scenery that they were moving through captured most of her attention. The glow of dawn made much of the roadside vegetation look interesting. When the plants weren’t grabbing her attention, she was mostly feeling sorry for the horse pulling the wagon. It looked agitated, almost afraid, and Ellia couldn’t convince herself that the cause was the weight of the wagon.

They neared city, which ended up being quite a bit larger than it looked from far away. “Eheheh, this city normally has a population of around thirty thousand, but I bet there will be many more people here today. You look pretty surprised though; did you come from a smaller town?” “Um... ya. We weren’t really a town, well actually I suppose we were a functioning town. But any child could tell you that our town was just for the military training of elves, and just happened to become a real town over the course of a few generations.

The day was full of fun and even managed to remove some of the stress that had been held since she awoke in the hospital. She had the unique pastry of the elf’s father’s stand for breakfast. It was strangely soft, and far too spicy for anything that Ellia considered ‘breakfast worthy’. But by the time his father could pour a glass of milk, the spices gave way to a delectable sweet sensation. The brief period of pain was completely worth the amazing aftertaste, and Ellia found herself unable to stop eating them till she was full. The festival seemed to draw mostly humans, but there seemed to be a few people from every race there. After failing horribly at the wagon elf’s knife throwing game, a drow came up and tried, and made a point of nailing every throw with a bulls-eye. She glanced over at Ellia, with an obvious look of superiority about her, when a child ran into the stall after announcing that they really wanted to try. The two women stared at each other trying to look as serious as possible, and then both burst into a giggles. The music and magic in the air made it downright impossible to be negative, and everyone gave into the feel good atmosphere.

Sunset came as a surprise, its orange glow bathing the energy filled celebration. Ellia had managed to spend most of her money. Poking around her coin pouch in disappointment, she decided to head to the combination pub/inn that she had rented a room in when she arrived in the city. Her weapons were up in her room (as was required by celebration law to reduce fighting), and the entire inn part of the building was reserved to the upper floor. The main floor was very well lit and filled with people having a good time, with the roar of too many people talking in a single room. The flooring was a very well kept walnut hardwood, and the massive room was decorated with enough tables and chairs for everyone. Ellia took a seat at one of the few empty small tables near the entrance, and asked a waitress for a glass of white wine. She examined her surroundings intently, and ended up focusing on the man stoking the fireplace on her left. He had used magic to get the fire going, and then walked away. As she stared at the fire, her smile left her face, and she felt the tense stress re-join her. (“Surrounded by people and still lonely… maybe, I need to place more value on individuals.”)

Post subject: Re: Sunset City(Moonhowl)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Stepping into a large checkpoint, the berserker was met with a glare or two, quickly silenced by a crimson gaze and a snarl. He was admitted, even through his lack of shirt and the slightly bloodstained Spatha at his side.

"Ahem...sir?" A smallish guard stood before him, the chainmail links of his armor seeming a bit too big for his disarming demeanor. "Would you...uhm...please...uhm...your sword, please?" He pointed at the Spatha, and held out his hand as to take it.

"Me not think so, puny one." The berserker, who had been slouching from his long trip through the Desert of Ages, dropping the satchel he carried at his back to his side long enough to stand at his full height, puffing out his massive chest, the pure mass of his muscles enough to scare off the small guard. "And you no tell others! Or me find you!" He laughed. A long trip and a hot day called for a bit of celebration, but first a drink.

The orc picked the sand-stained satchel from the ground, slinging it over his shoulder, travelling through the various streets to glares and whispers. Clearly not a place for the orcish race...even in the grand cities of this land, the hate for the orcish race was quite there. He warded off the occasional civillian wanting to get into a fight, finally finding a decent tavern that seemed good enough to have decent bedding but still fine enough to have a huge pint for an orcish warrior of his stature.

Entering the building with a somewhat loud bang, a momentary hush fell over the multiracial crowd, all turning to face the large berserker. He snarled at those near him, pushing through the crowd to the bar, to the whispers of the large and hateful crowd. "You, barkeepman. You give me room. The barkeep shook his head quickly and pointed to the door, much to the berserker's rage. "GIVE ME ROOM! GIVE ME ROOM!" It was childish, yes, but for a massive orc with a bloody sword and a rage problem, it was less than advisable to deny him what he wanted. In fact, it was a bad idea to even intervene on the situation unless one had the power to do something about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:39 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Ellia tried to not be racist. She tried to judge people on an individual basis, not holding hatred or prejudice simply because one’s parents happened to be different than hers, even if the difference was enough to give expected unfavourable characteristics. But when the loud bang that tore away her peace of mind, and apparently everyone else’s, was discovered to have originated from an Orc, the girl found herself sarcastically surprised. (“Eager to make his presence known, as if his stature wasn’t capable of accomplishing that alone, or simply unaware of his actions.”) She shook her head. Was it still wrong to blame annoyances on a person’s race? Or is it okay, as one forgives someone for an action, an understanding that one would have to fight the grains of their nature to avoid the expectations of their race? She had never seen an Orc before, but this one had been keeping pretty close to her image of them.

A sword hung at his side, a show of his blatant disregard of law. She assumed that he made his way in armed via intimidation or violence. Was it an act of rebellion? Or did he just not want to part with his blade, unwilling or unable to think of why he was asked to turn in his weapon. He approached the bar, sneering rudely. He may of thought they deserved it, but all he was justifying the rude stares they offered.

She watched the shirtless visitor throw something akin to a tantrum after being rejected a room. By this time, she was thoroughly irritated. (“Perhaps, if he stopped intimidating the poor guy, he could find out that this building has been booked full since noon. Poor barkeep is too afraid that he can’t even get a word out.”) A disappointing survey of the patrons revealed that no one dared to help out the unfortunate owner. A sigh escaped. The amount of tension in the room was doing little to relax her, and the thought that someone might lose a room for this guy upset her. Not only would someone suffer because an Orc decided he was big enough to take what he wanted, but she would also be forced to be under the same roof as a law breaking trouble maker with a bloody spatha.

Ellia stood up from her table, and tossed the hood of her robe over her head. She didn’t want to attract the attention of the Orc just yet, and a hooded figure was at least a little less interesting than a red haired elf. No, a direct approach would be rather stupid. He was notably quick to anger, and she didn’t want to interact with an angry Orc when her weapons were on another floor. She walked quietly towards the bar, keeping to the left side, staying as close to the wall as possible without looking awkward. She kept her head down, looking only where she was walking. As she reached the staircase that was in the left corner of the building, she stole a quick glance at the bar to see if the fanged menace had noticed her, and then headed upstairs.

Ehem miss, may I…
Ellia Woods.
Ah, you’re staying in room 34 tonight. Feel free to …

And she took off, heading down the hallway in search of her room, leaving the greeter a little flustered. Ellia really didn’t want to start a fight, but she wanted to be prepared should one happen. She grabbed the handle on door 34, and twisted hurriedly, only to have the handle not move. The greeter caught up to the elf, panting a little from a life of little activity. He handed her a key and slunk away.

The rooms were very basic. A bed with simple white sheets, and a generic small wardrobe for clothes, and in Ellia’s case, a couple of weapons. She tucked her dagger and sheath in her robe on her left side as usual, only hidden enough to fool the unobservant. For some reason, whoever placed her weapons in her room decided to unload her crossbow, an irk she corrected. She stood facing the door to the room, preparing herself mentally for what she was subjecting herself to. (“Why has this Orc irritated me so much that I risk confrontation? This stress must be getting to my head.”) Her nerves caught up to her, and she spilled some of her supper in a basket for the purpose.

She wiped her mouth as she walked down the hall. The greeter began to protest her weapons being out of her room, but she ignored him and moved past him in a hurry. If she was going to do something, it would have to be soon. Lest she actually think about what she was doing and chicken out. She hit the bottom of the staircase and began looking for the big, shirtless Orc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

I'm closing this fight due to time(even though its probably due to malware warning) and character changing.