It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Druided Scrub Hunt (vs. Scottsonknight)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

“Undead abomination.” “Child eater.” “Moss-infested ghoul.”

These were the phrases the town watch used to describe his quarry. Joshen suspected these peasants were less than reliable witnesses. After all, they were too busy fleeing in panic to make a detailed sketch in their minds. Still, the footprints in the sandy soil seemed slightly wrong. There was a strange mark near the bridge of each left footprint, as though it were traveling with a rope around its foot.

Joshen adjusted the spear across his back, trying to adjust the way its weight fell on his new, unfamiliar armor. Although it seemed to deliver on its promise of flexibility, it had a few unforeseen drawbacks. Even with the chilly morning air around him, his feet were already uncomfortably warm. The pants, tailored slightly too loose, were rattling softly as he moved. Not to mention the bits of scrub grass that got stuck between the links...

The sound of movement to his left brought his attention back to the hunt. While he didn’t yet know what he was fighting, one fact was certain – the locals were willing to pay in gold to remove it.

(I will try to stick to 200-word posts to keep the pacing right. You don't have to do likewise, but it'll make the fight flow better)

Post subject: Re: The Druided Scrub Hunt (vs. Scottsonknight)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:01 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The chill screams of the frighten sheep echoed throughout the panicked town that had been cursed with Hubris. Most of the vermin who filled the streets were able to run, but one such child was not among the lucky. The fresh blood poured from the open wound on his neck, dripping carelessly to the soft soil below the shuffling feet of Hubris. The boy had been bitten by the second mouth and was now carried by the left hand.

The legs were barely responding in the decomposing corpse it called home. They hobbled back and forth as the vines running through the body tugged along the still attached muscle. There were no large chunks of flesh missing from the legs, nothing more than a few small holes and admittedly loose tissue. This body was new and unfamiliar; moving any part of the body was slow and complicated. But growing was familiar, fast, and reliable.

Under the matted hair that was almost fused with the scalp, small leafy sprouts began to pierce the crown. Stench buds, they had started their growth and would mature before too long. The buds would help keep attackers at bay and prey close at hand by releasing horrible odors. Scents so vile, those of weaker constitution could be overpowered and faint. Adding to the stench of a corpse, not even filthy Halflings could compete with such a scent.

~~~~~Incantation Chart~~~~~
Stench Buds (Growing) 1/3 posts.

(I'll stick with around 200 words per post as well. I'll be posting quicker after the weekend as well.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

A child crested the ridge and passed him at a dead run. Seconds later, Joshen crested the hill in the other direction.

On the other side lay a concealed hamlet in disarray. Baskets and tools lay scattered where they had fallen. A few of the mud-crusted walls had holes in them. A spatter of fresh blood decorated the gravel of the main path. But the only hint of motion was in the market in the village square.

As Joshen drew closer, the shuffling mass in the market resolved itself into two bodies, once carrying the other. The larger one, facing away from him, moved clumsily, as if drunk. The smaller hung upside-down facing him, the grimace of death frozen on his face as blood dripped up it.

“Hold!” he shouted, stopping a dozen paces away. He fumbled the sling loose from his belt and held it partially concealed behind him. “Tell me what happened here before I decide to punish you for it.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Behind, the proud voice of a hero shouted to hold. As is often the story, one man found the courage to take action as others ran frantically to look for it; having left it in there other, fresher, trousers. The right eye sunk inward and out the other end, poking out of the skull’s backside to steal a glimpse of the hero.

A large metallic man stood a safe distance behind, not quite the courage move in too close. Perhaps more it was a lack of understanding; thinking that this was a creature one could reason with. The tree of Saurojin had learned many things from the original host, but the many tongues of the fleshies were far from perfect. It could make out the word ‘hold’ and too the words ‘happen’ and ‘punish’. Words with different meaning were confusing, but Hubris was able to deduce that the hero wanted an explanation and was hostile. Hubris replied thusly.

“Boy, home, good. Flesh, weak, scared. You, gone, make.” The words came out sounding like a loud whisper, the kind of tone made by an elderly man with a raspy voice one would need to lean in close to understand; though this had some power behind it.

Having spoken, Hubris took another uneasy step forward, away from the man. The right eye still poking through the thick, greasy, matted hair that managed to remain upon the crown; where the buds were just about to sprout.

Stench Buds (Growing) 2/3 posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Even before the figure hissed its incoherent reply, Joshen started to notice the inconsistencies. He caught a glimpse of movement through the hair at the base of its skull, a bit of flesh twitching in a way no human could. Even as it continued away from him, he could see bits of plant matter under its hair.

Surely, this was his target, and it had just claimed another victim.

The best approach, he reckoned, would be to take it down from where he stood. It appeared to be unarmed. A single shot to the spine could break its back, leaving it helpless. And since it wasn’t moving quickly, he had plenty of time to pick his spot.

A moment’s aim and he lunged forward. The sling whipped over his head. The stone, chosen days before for symmetry, crossed the space between them in half a heartbeat. Joshen didn't bother watching the result; he was already on one knee scooping gravel from the street into the sling’s pouch for a second volley.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Hubris watched as the hero readied a well chosen stone into his sling, watched without concern. The rock flew through the air, easily and quickly closing the distance, and rammed into the back. Minimal damage; even though the rock had imbedded itself into the back, it was easily ignored for one who walked around in other’s bodies. It was enough though, to call upon the interest of Hubris.

Throwing the small child aside, the body slowly turns to meet the one with the Paladin’s soul. The jaw was dislocated, dangling down and held on only by skin. Above the body’s jaw, grinning back at the hero, Joshen, was the second mouth of Hubris. The thorned smile met the warrior dead on, challenging him. Hubris was much more daring, now that the stench buds were blooming.

The buds were fully matured and opened now, filling the air with a horrid scent that would make the most iron stomached of warriors gasp for fresher air. The stench was reaching for the warrior, growing closer with each uneasy step Hubris took toward his counterpart of the day. The vine sword was grasp in the right hand, and held firm by vines that pierced through the wrist.

Hubris was coming for the hero. Coming for blood.

Stench Buds (Duration) 1/6 posts
Needle Spitters (Growing) 1/4 posts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:40 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

The leafy grin disturbed him, for rather the wrong reasons. The mouth-stalk seemed almost mundane after the rumors, but the mere fact that it was still smiling despite what looked like a broken rib sent shivers up his spine. He’d heard stories from other fortune-seekers about undead that kept rising long after they should have stopped. If only he’d listened more carefully...

Even more concerning was its unusual weapon. It seemed to be improvised from a wooden stake, sharpened to form a makeshift sword. Vines sprouting from the abomination’s arm twisted around both handle and blade, with prominent thorns alongside the cutting edges. The vines would probably prove to be more intimidating than actually dangerous, but he still needed to be careful.

He stood as Hubris approached. The plants in the hair were more pronounced from the front, but he could examine it more carefully later. For now, he had to defend himself. He spun up his sling, then released an underhanded spray of gravel at the approaching abomination’s face. He expertly caught the free end of the sling and looped it over his shoulder, pulling the spear off his back in the same motion.

Only then did he notice the peculiar smell in the air.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The next barrage of projectiles came flying in a spray, much like throwing a cup of water. They came in toward the head and they came in with enough velocity to deal some damaged. Quickly the being pulled in the left eye, which was still inside the normal socket, to avoid damage. The impacted area ranged from the shoulders up, with most slamming against face. The smaller stones simply impacted and fell without hard, the larger slammed hard enough to pierce the rotten flesh.

After the rocks, the already disfigured face looked like it had literally been through a meat grinder; not pretty. The look was nothing though, the downfall was the rock now wedged in one of the eye sockets. Lacking the nimble fingers required to properly remove it that was one socket down.

After a moment the left eye remerged from the right socket. Having lost that moment of visibility, the eye now looked upon the hero with spear drawn. A spear was not an ideal weapon to face, but that didn’t really matter now with battle commenced. It’s not like Hubris could really run away from anything with legs. The advance must be made, there was no choice. Hubris broke into the closest thing to a run it could to advance on the hero; vine sword held high. With the last step required to come within range, the sword came down hard toward the crown of its foe.

Stench Buds (Duration) 2/6 posts
Needle Spitters (Growing) 2/4 posts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

(Wow, Stench Buds is probably the strongest Weak spell in the game. You usually can't even get character control like that on a Strong. Compare it to a mage's Poison Cloud, a Medium)

At the first hint of nausea, Joshen stopped breathing. The air was so foul, his lungs refused to accept it. The queasiness was only intensified by the observation that the ghoul's good eye had switched sockets. Its rolling charge seemed grotesquely unstable, as if a sudden breeze at the wrong time would overbalance it.

The attack at least was direct, and familiar. Joshen took a step back as the sword descended, hooking the blade with his spearhead and redirecting it harmlessly off to his right. Almost as an afterthought, he brought the spear back around and threw a swift but solid jab at the monster's now-exposed right shoulder.

Then he was backpedaling, heading instinctively for fresher air. The storefront full of pottery beside him offered no escape, but perhaps the alley behind it would.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(Let me know if there's a problem with the post. Also yes, you're right. Stench Buds are pretty powerful 'now'. The downside being when I get another incantation for defense I can't use it along with the other.)

Hubris’s attack was unsuccessful. The wooden sword was deflected harmlessly to the right, slashing only through air. The missed attack also created an opening, and, Joshen intended to take advantage of that opening. He spun the spear around and brought it back for the attack. The tip of the spear pierced just below the shoulder. The force behind the blow was enough to allow the tip to poke out of the other side.

Hubris let out a high pitched scream. At this crucial choke point for the arm, not hitting vine was nearly impossible. This was damage to be concerned with. Severed vines would mean less control, and a large pole would limit movement. Lifting the arm up too high would likely be impossible with the pole in his shoulder. The only consolation was that the needle spitters were not damaged, and had even reached their budding stage. Two pods the size of peaches grew on the shoulders now.

The undead body was slow to react. With as much speed as the body could muster, the left hand grasped hold of the spear. Vines emerged from the wrist to also wrap around the wooden shaft. Now the hero was open to attack. His weapon was stuck and his senses were assaulted by the horrible odor of the stench buds. Hubris pointed the vine sword toward the hero’s stomach and thrust it up with the mighty strength of the undead body.

Stench Buds (Duration) 3/6 posts
Needle Spitters (Growing) 3/4 posts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:11 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

The sensations all hit Joshen at the same time - the shriek of the ghoul as his spear penetrated its flesh, the sudden jerk his spear took as it left his control, and the blur of motion as the ghoul brought its sword back into line for a thrust. He let go of his spear - the head was firmly lodged between bones and would need to be worked free later - and sidestepped rightwards to avoid the clumsy thrust. A safe bump with the back of his gauntlets pushed the sword once again to one side and he was suddenly too close for it to be effective.

Now Joshen had a moment to collect his thoughts. His enemy was a walking, mutilated corpse with plants growing on it. It was capable of ignoring slingstones, and hurt but not crippled by a spear through its shoulder. In all likelihood, its guts and muscles were no more than padding. That left its skeleton and the plant bits as potential targets, and he couldn't easily break bones from where he was without a weapon.

One large bud in particular on the monster's impaled shoulder looked vulnerable, and he wasted no time going after it. He feinted a left jab straight at its one working eye - possibly wasted if it lacked a human's reflexes - and diverted the movement into a slap-grab against the swelling bud.

Then, out of pure instinct, he made the worst mistake he possibly could have. He breathed out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:08 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Another miss as the hero slapped the barbed weapon aside, chain gauntlets protecting his hands from the iron like thorns. For a moment there was a brief distance increase between the two as the hero made a quick jump to the right. He had forsaken his spear but only for a brief moment, for the exchange of blows was not quite over yet.

As quickly as the hero had leapt away he was back upon Hubris with an attack. It was a quick lunge of the right hand aimed for the remaining eye socket. It all happened so quickly, too fast for the eye stalk to retract. Fortunately for Hubris that attack was only a decoy. The true target was the needle launcher that had just nearly finished its growth cycle. With an open palm the hero smacked and grabbed onto the bud and ripped it from the right shoulder. Aloe splattered like blood as a horrible screech echoed through the second mouth. It was a sign of pain, and even more a sign of weakness that Hubris wished was not leaked.

In a jerking motion, the left arm ripped the spear free from shoulder. Vines from the wrist latched around the shaft and extended it past the fingers where it would be rotated and returned to the undead hand and secured in place. Brining both hands and weapons together, Hubris lashed out in an all out swing of his weapons toward the midsection of the armored man; all the while filling the air with a horrible odor.

Stench Buds (Duration) 4/6 posts
Needle Spitters (Growing) 4/4 posts Growth Process complete.
Needle Spitters at Half strength.

(This is a little different than how Stench Buds went off. After a closer look at the Druid page I noticed there were notes beneath the Incantations list that showed I had done them wrong.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:29 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Foul air flooded his lungs, relieving the burning in his chest even as his stomach began to rebel. He recoiled from the stench and at once the monstrosity let out a screech of pain. A sticky liquid penetrated his glove, and Joshen realized he had torn his handhold free and crushed it with his fist. He quickly dropped it, then deliberately mashed it into paste with the toe of his boot.

As he did so, the ghoul tore its spear free of its chest, spraying Joshen with a few slivers of flesh. At first, Joshen thought it was simply trying to remove the spear, until it flipped it into a more offensive grip. Suddenly aware that he was unarmed, Joshen lunged forward once more, trying to pin the wrist holding the spear against the abomination's chest, but he might as well have been trying to hold a moving wagon-wheel; it broke free of his grip with little effort.

It then brought its hands together and wound up for a clearly telegraphed double-strike. Joshen saw his opening, stepped up and took it. Even before the swing began, he had both hands on the spearshaft. Using both arms to overpower the ghoul's vine-reinforced wrist, he twisted the spear into the path of the incoming sword. The two slammed into his chest with much-reduced force. He would have escaped with a bruise had the pressure not persuaded his weak stomach to let go.

Humans don't usually spit acid in a fight, but Joshen couldn't resist. He planted his right hand on the ghoul's shoulder, in an almost friendly manner, before spewing a stream of acidified soup at its legs.

---
Note: Joshen's stomach acid is not concentrated enough to be more than a mild hazard to humans. I don't know how acid-resistant druid growths are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:16 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

As the hero expelled his stomach content all over the floor, and the host’s legs, Hubris wasted no time in continuing his assault. Releasing the spear back to the hero and leaving the vine sword to the nature’s grasp alone, Hubris latches out to grasp Joshen’s shoulders. Hubris’s head darted downward toward left side of the neck with mouth wide open. Inches away from target, the second mouth of vine and thorn lashed out to bite down on the silver of chain.

The assault not yet finished, the left shoulder cannon took aim. The remaining needle launcher fired at the unprotected face. The trajectory would line up to pierce Joshen’s right cheek if left alone. The needle was not horribly impressive; merely a size of something one might pick their teeth with. Still though, aimed at the face the small needle could deal a good amount of pain.

The stench buds that still rested atop Hubris’s head had a rather nice position too. Such a close proximity to Joshen’s nose was quite fortunate. The buds were still producing the foul smelling spores and kicking them out as strong as ever. The stench was as powerful as any other weapon in his arsenal, and was much more difficult to destroy compared to the needle spitter. Nothing save a shower of fire would due them all in.

~~~ Incantation list ~~~
Stench Buds (Active) 5/6
Needle Spitters (Active) 1/8
Stench Buds (Growing) 1/3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:29 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Most of the liquid soaked quickly into the gravel, leaving behind a smear of slime behind and a sour whiff that even penetrated the oppressive fumes that were slowly suffocating him. Even as the nausea settled down, another breath of cursed air went to work on Joshen’s guts.

A sudden weight told him his spear was free, right before monstrous fingers clamped down on his shoulders. Their strength was staggering, almost enough to upset his footing, and more than enough to brush aside his own tenuous shoulder-hold. Then the ghoul lashed out with its ghastly flower-tongue. Instinctively, Joshen jerked his head away (Combat Reflexes). He could feel the rough tooth-petals skitter along the maile covering his neck, trying to find purchase.

His current predicament - grappled by the shoulders inside the length of his spear, with the spear stuck outside - was a well-discussed one among Mercenary’s Guild combat theorists. While most of the top experts considered the spear-user to be at an advantage, their arguments relied on the unwillingness of the grappler to let go for fear of being stabbed. And none of the theorists had even considered being bitten.

The bite attempt, however, rendered his next move obvious. The second mouth represented an unknown threat, and he had to neutralize it. Fortunately, his free hand was on the one-eyed ghoul’s blind side; he brought it underneath the grapple and back up in a tight uppercut aimed at the jaw. The human-mouth still had a perfectly good set of teeth and he intended to make it bite its own mouth off.

At the same time, he felt a stabbing pain behind his jaw, but in the heat of the moment could not determine the cause.