It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Dilapidated...Lake?(NightShimmer)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(for those of you that are thinking "But hey! You're training Nevercroft, you can't be in two training battles at once! I'm not claiming any reward for training NC and am instead calling it a friendly. To put this in a timeline: Vius' battle, NC's training battle, NS' training battle, battle with DTK and new spears. Yes... Tiam has had a rather eventful first few days.)

(This is OOC text, where players can communicate with each other and commonly leave notes about a post, it occurs either at the top or bottom of the post. Now that you've been approved you will take part in a training battle that will give you a good idea of how things will go down. I'll set the stage and you'll enter how you would like. Before we get to my actual post however, here are a few things: (There was once a rather extensive post on the subject of training, but it has since disappeared.) )

Quote:
-Battles are fought in turns, you post after a response, not before.
-Fighting happens in "real time" meaning you can if you wish go back in time a little to describe actions and things you do before any attack of the opposition lands (within reasonability)
-Be as descriptive as you can. More information makes for better battles.
-Do not ever control your opponent's character (or pets) in any way.
-Characters are, typically, allowed two actions per post: One defensive action and one offensive action. Regardless of whether you were attacked or not, you may only attack once per post.
-You can only use 1 special/spell per turn (you can use multiple skills per turn, and 1 special and multiple skills per turn though). Specials that have an effect on your opponent count towards your one offensive action. Defensive specials count as your defensive action, and 'other' specials (typically buffs) use neither action.
-Try to be fair in both your attacks as well as your dodges. Getting hit every now and then is not the end of the world, and deepens your character.
-A minimum of 2 paragraphs (though more are desirable!)
-No ?Unblockable? attacks. There's always something, somewhere that can happen.
-Be creative, use the world around you to your advantage!
-Use a spell checker, or a program that helps with puncuation. It can't hurt... and can generally help your posts more readable.
-Have fun!!! Battles are supposed to be enjoyable. If don't like it, something is wrong.

(Also, before we continue, be sure to make a link to your character sheet in your signature to allow ease of information access for your opponent. Now that all of that is out of the way, on to my post!)

Tiam was walking down a hard-worn road, still limping now and then on a previously injured left leg, when he came upon a decidedly out of place wooden post driven into the ditch at the side of the road. The post itself was massive and gave off the pervasive scent of sea salt, something that Tiam knew only too well. The only problem was that they were well over thirty miles from the sea, making the scent an absurdity, never mind the fact that this post looked like a broken mast. In fact, one could see the markings of the iron bands that once circled the wood to reinforce it.

Attached to this odd post was a single slip of paper, one that the pirate could swear that he had seen in the last town that he had left less than a day ago. It had an identical advertizement stating: Provide Training for New Adventurers. Each Trainee Yields A Gold Piece. Combat Experience Required. It also had a crudely drawn map and a list of directions to get to the point of training. Perhaps this was some sort of cruel joke, or perhaps Gierhardt wanted revenge. He didn't seem like the type though, especially since it was just a sparring bout.

There was no way in hell that Tiam was going to let gold slip through his fingers, so he tore the paper off the mast and set out, putting the odd post behind him.

It was about about fifteen minutes after he left the road that he came across the place where he was supposed to be. It was a small basin that had the look of an ancient lake bed dotted by low shrubs and rocks the size of a man's head. To one side sat a man... the exact same old man as before. Tiam was baffled, especially once he saw the racks of weighted weapons behind the man as the had been in the old, broken down dojo.

"The hell are you doing here old man? Shouldn't you be in town waiting for other people to visit your sad little dojo?" Tiam strolled up and stood before the man, one hand on his hip and the other gripping his spear which he had just shoved into the ground.

"Dojo? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I've always been here." The man gave Tiam a sly smile and steepled his hands before his face.

"Don't play cute with me old man," Tiam said as he wrenched his spear from the ground and pointed it at him, "I know you were in town running a dojo just yesterday. You had me train Gierhardt. I'm thankful for the gold and the healing but th-" He was cut off again as an invisible body sealed his mouth and launched him onto his back, pinning him as soundly as last time.

"Could you please not threaten me in such a manner?" The old man hadn't moved an inch, "I will free you if you promise to be nice and be a good trainer for the young girl that we will be expecting shortly."The tone was patronizing but Tiam could do nothing but nod, what could he have done? The man freed him, "Exchange your weapons for the non-lethal versions that I've supplied. You are not allowed to harm the trainee in any lasting fashion, and do your best to teach her something new. Also, you will be healed after you are done - I have a feeling that you'll need it. Just don't die, I can't bring back the dead.

Tiam paused with a javelin halfway into his harness. It lacked its pointed head and was instead flat, but weighted to feel like the real thing, much like the spear that he had claimed. "I don't like the way that sounds.... You say that I can die here?"

"There is always that risk, even in sparring - Oh look, here she comes now." He pointed to a figure that had just crested the top of the basin. At first Tiam was unconcerned, until he saw the rather sizable canine that was at her side.

This is going to be...ugly, Tiam thought has he took his last javelin in his left hand.

(I apologize for the lengthy opening post, but I'm making a sort of story-arc between my training battles. If you're at all interested, you can read the first few posts here. Your post need not be nearly as extensive as this one was. I'm sorry if this seems daunting, but I promise that I won't write this much all the time. You may enter any way you please, and how you decide to get here is up to you. Also, you can have the old man speak as much or as little as you would like :) Enjoy! :D)

Post subject: Re: The Dilapidated...Lake?(NightShimmer)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 am 
Initiated
Initiated

(Just to clarify, the horns on his head are as long as a dagger, but he cannot use them to attack very well, they are slanted pretty far back, making about a 35 degree angle with his head. The tail spikes are half the size, as you know, but yeah.(: Out of curiousity, can the whip be green/blue?)

The tall, lush trees on either side of her made her feel safe, just as well as her trustworthy side kick on her right side. Nadira was feeling confident, she had the want to learn, to be taught, something new today. Her whip in her left hand, wrapped up neatly in a figure eight around her wrist and through her fingers. Her right hand rested perfectly upon the wolf's jet black mane-like hair right behind it's dagger-long blue-green horns. Her fingers right behind the worn hidden leather collar, just in case he decided to get out of hand.

Her bare feet felt good against the warm-ish dirt road she walked upon. She breathed, deeply, taking in the tree's oxygen, loving every moment of it. Her blue-green eyes lied intently on her destination~The old man and her trainer.

As she approached the two, Klinge's fur bristled, he felt uneasy about new people. Always thinking about Nadira's safety. She calmed him by throwing a quick, "Hush." his way. He instantly sat down and looked away. He started panting, you could see his blue tongue hanging out and his canines that were unusually large. He instantly recoiled his tongue, and tasted it a bit. Almost like he had tasted something sour or salty in the air.

Nadira smiled at the old man and he nodded to her. She turned towards Tiam and studied him for a second. She noticed the scar on his chin, she furrowed her brows for a blink of an eye and moved on. "Nadira." She said, returning her gaze to his eyes and sticking out her right hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(Your post was quite good for a first go. I can't really give any pointers for improvement - it was a well-rounded first post. Good job!

Tiam is a rather base man, so the language that he uses to describe women usually follows as such. If you have any issues feel free to PM me.)

Tiam eyed the girl as she came down the slope. She was a sexy little thing with tanned skin and a slight build that probably put her at half his weight. Her clothing only worked to accent her body, and the top part appeared to be made of leaves. What an absurd thing to make clothes out of. The only people that were silly enough to do that were.... Perhaps she wasn't quite so sexy after all.

Her being an elf would explain nearly everything about the way she looked, though her eyes were a mild oddity. Then again, he couldn't claim to know much about elves - in fact, he hardly knew that three different kinds of elves existed. All that Tiam DID know was that elves were generally a haughty lot that thought too highly of themselves and their long-lived ways and generally didn't expect a human to beat them. Until he ran a sword or a spear through their guts, then the look of shock on their faces was very satisfying. Tiam didn't dislike a lot of people in this world - he had worked with a lot of people, and had even known a few half-decent elves, but in general he disliked elves.

He noticed that she was a good deal shorter than him when she got close, and he was nearly twice as broad as the wisp. Everything about her was dainty, right down to her hands. If it weren't for the dog at her side he probably would have just wrestled her to the ground right there and been done with this nonsense. That hound was something quite spectacular in itself - it certainly belonged in a circus at the very least. It was brown with a black strip going down its back - and a large number of horns growing from particular parts of its body. The thing was giving Tiam a look that he did not like, and he wondered if the dog could read his mind.

He gave her a smile that didn't touch his eyes "Name's Tiam."

Tiam took Nadira's hand, "Listen girlie, I'm going to give you a bit of advice." He gave her a very pointed, lecherous, look up and down, "You're going to want to get some other clothes if you intend to travel very far. There are men out there who would take one look at you and target you for some... unsavoury things," himself included, "and hardly give a second thought to your dog, no matter how spiky or scary. I'll be honest, I bet I weigh about as much as both of you combined. Do you think you could take a few like me?" He noticed that she didn't even have a proper weapon, but instead had an oddly coloured strap of leather wrapped around her wrist, "I doubt it."

"That'll be enough of that, Tiam. I'm sure she's well aware of the dangers of being a lone female on the road." The old man gave Nadira a warm smile and Tiam felt his fingers pried off the girl's hand, "don't you worry dear, he won't do anything bad to you here. You won't need to exchange your whip since it's not particularly lethal in its current state - just don't choke Tiam to death, okay?" He motioned toward the centre of the dried out lake with a withered-looking hand, "Any time you're ready, Tiam."

A whip huh?.... Reminds me of a woman I once knew.

Tiam sighed and walked roughly to the centre of the bush and rock strewn ground and took up a relaxed stance, realizing suddenly that his left leg no longer twinged. The 'spear' in his right hand held in a braced grip to allow greater control, and the javelin in his left hung at his side. "You get to make the first move. Lets see what you've got Nadira."

(Eep! Longer than I intended! I love training battles so I tend to get a little out of hand. The length of Klinge's horns is fine like that, so long as you do not intend to get a skill that will turn them around or anything like that.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:52 am 
Initiated
Initiated

Nadira's eyes cascaded down his body to his brown shoes, paying attention to what he was wearing himself, a white tunic and blue pants. "Clothes don't matter much." She said in a bored tone returning her eyes to his face. "It's the skill that counts. But on the other hand, I know I am safe. I honestly think you're underestimating him." She patted Klinge on the head lovingly, who was noticeably irritated by Tiam's tone. His tail flicked in response, his spikes hit the ground making a sharp thud. "I don't need advice. I know how to hold my own. I've been living by myself for quite a few years now."

She turned her attention back towards the old man and chuckled. She adjusted the green whip in her hand, winding it back around her wrist, through her fingers, before following Tiam towards the lake. She noticed the ground, it was dried up, no real life growing through it. There were trees pretty close though. Which made her feel a bit better.

She paused, confused. She didn't feel the usual large presence by her side. Scanning the surroundings in front if her, there were no signs. She whipped back around, catching a glimpse of the old man feeding Klinge a nice chunk of red raw meat. "Come." She spoke low, in a commanding voice to the wolf. He hesitated, watching the old man. Seeing there was no more, he trotted back to his master obediently. They then walked together towards the middle of the field, taking their time. She felt confidence in watching her trainer, feeling that he hadn't dealt with any wolves or animal tamers of this magnitude, or any magnitude, before.

As they neared the human, Klinge growled a bit, feeling the tension. Nadira thought a moment and smirked slyly. She dared getting closer to him. But stopped about a foot or two away from him. Taunting him with her eyes. "I think it's only fair for you to be familiar with him." Her hand moved back towards Klinge, who touched the tip of his nose to her palm, anticipating a command. His muscular brown tail swished side to side behind him. He eyed Tiam, feeling uneasy. He took a few steps forward, and felt the gentle squeeze from Nadira's hand on his fur, indicating him to stop. Klinge was now within petting distance of Tiam. Nadira's eyes flashed,"Go ahead." The great wolf twitched back his ears, hearing her voice. He lifted his head a bit and tilted it to the side as if expecting the touch of the man's hand, or a que from the hand now in the middle of his dark brown back.

(Do you think mine should be more lengthy or..?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(Your post is much better after your edit(s). While your original length was acceptable, I'm sure it's easy to see how much more your post has benefited from just another paragraph and a half or so of material. Now I know how your character was feeling, how she was taking things, and much more about her. Overall you're doing very well, keep up the good work.

Just remember, you do have three days to post before you can be timed out, and almost always more since people around her are quite understanding. If you need to take time to think about how things will go, then do so. Just remember: you don't need to post immediately after reading.)

Was the girl stupid, or just naive? Sure, she had been living on her own, but how much time had she spent in or near a city, or even on the beaten track? By the looks of her, not much. She didn't realize just how vulnerable she was - and how useless her dog would be in the long run. He was going to say something, but there was no point. The arrogance of youth was still upon her, and she would need to learn the hard way. Did she really think that the dog and her whip would be that much of an issue when they came at her with blades and, god forbid, a spear?

He felt like sighing, but there was no point in that either. He contented himself with his inner musings on the girl's lack of street smarts as she called the hound over to her... and continued to walk right up to him with her growling dog. He nearly struck her then and there, but stayed his hand when he saw her eyes. She wanted him to strike first. Perhaps he would do so, though not quite yet - he wanted to see her game. She was clever in doing this at least - she would negate the length of his spear for the time being. Luckily he had a javelin in his hand, which he reserved for situations such as these.

"I think it's only fair for you to be familiar with him," she said. Familiar with who, the dog? Why the hell would he care? It wasn't like he wanted to be friends with her or the dog, and the hound at least had similar sentiments toward him. Dogs usually had a good judge of character, and Tiam was anything but good, and certainly not to their kind. Indeed, he had to kill several dogs across his days as a burglar, and then some more as a bandit. For some reason travelers thought that any mutt would keep them safe on the road. At least this girl was taking a step in the right direction and getting a particularly frightening and magical looking beast.

Despite its misgivings the dog listened to its master and cocked its head slightly as if expecting to be pet. "I really hope you don't do this with every opponent you meet." He crouched, bringing himself to the dog's level and looking it in the eyes and planting the butt of his spear, "If I had met you anywhere else and had a want for gold or flesh I probably would have just attacked and been done with it. But you know this don't you, wolf?" He smiled at the wolf, which he now decided was a wolf and not a dog, then looked up at the girl. "That's my last bit of advice, I guess. Now," he snapped his head back to the wolf "FIGHT!" [Concussion]

He amplified the shouted word with his blessing, blasting it right in the wolf's face and sensitive ears. He felt bad, but he needed to teach the girl, and this was her first hard lesson. The beast would be healed after battle, but it would quite likely be rendered deaf, and would most likely be knocked away by the concussive blast to boot. He was not afraid of the girl lashing him with her whip, not with it so coiled around her wrist, but he rose swiftly and bounced backward, bringing his spear across near his groin to protect against a likely kick from the slender girl.

The first volley was his, but that was the girl's fault. She presented him with an opportunity and he took it. Hopefully she wouldn't make the same mistake with such a questionable man twice. So many lessons, and he was just acting like himself.

[Concussion, 2/3]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 am 
Initiated
Initiated

(I was on my phone, I just wanted a rough outline and that's why I edited it a few times. I'm always open to pointers or anything though. I have never tried this sort of role play so I'm going off of the top of my head, plus a few pointers from DTK ^^)

Klinge felt the breath, he sensed the intention. He knew he would pull some smart move hurting both of them. His eyes noted where the man placed his hands, his spear. He too adjusted his placement, lining right up to his eyes. He waited until he felt the sentence would end and bit, hard. Bit blindly what he thought was a wrist or arm. Right before the word that blasted him back came out. He pushed Nadira back at the same time and took the concussion, full on. He whined as it hit his furry white ears and let go of whatever he bit. He skidded back a few feet and tried digging his claws in to stop himself. He went back about a yard and a half. And there were now 4 lines in the dirt in front of him. He could see the darker, moister mud right at the main point of each scrape along with the random rocks and twigs poking out from random access points. His claws were covered with dirt, same with his paws. His tail flipped back and forth madly. His ears were in pain, pain he had never felt before. His gaze, blurred with confusion, went back towards Nadira, waiting for something, anything.

Nadira fell back, being tripped by her wolf and also blown back by the words of the man at the same time. She stayed low, from instinct, but watched with horror as Klinge got blasted and probably hurt. But she wouldn't be able to tell until after the battle. She saw him look back, she saw his eyes. He was in pain. She got up, looking towards Tiam to make sure he wasn’t doing anything suspicious. She unraveled her whip with one quick flick of the wrist, it had been wrapped so the end was in her fingers and the handle was in the palm of her hand. She dusted her hands off, smacking them together a bit. She used her peripheral vision to see if Klinge twitched his ears. He didn't and her heart dropped a bit, he had to rely on what he saw, not what he heard. They hadn't worked on this much, but hopefully enough to win this.

His eyes did give her a questioning look, he saw but could not hear very well. She looked around her, searching through the trees anxiously. Her eyes stopped at the ground, she had decided on her approach. “Mess with him, mess with me.” She muttered under her breath while jogging back a bit. She snapped her fingers, pointing at the ground in front of her. Klinge growled, still in pain with his ears, he attempted turning his body around and jogging towards her, but the ear pain got worse as he moved so he ended up veering to the right. He tried to stop the pain by digging his muzzle into the dirt. He put his paws over his ears also, nothing seemed to help.

Nadira ran towards him and crouched between him and Tiam, she touched his nose to get his attention and shook her hand side to side, trying to get him to shake his tail back and forth. He tilted his head and wagged his tail out of habit. She patted his head and made a circle with her finger in the air, he continued wagging his tail. The spikes on his tail aroused some of the dirt and made it finer as well as looser. She started using both hands to throw dirt that Klinge had loosened in the air. She also took dirt in her hand and made a fist with two holes, one on either side, she blew threw it causing the dirt to turn more into dust and cloud the air around them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(My best advice here is to pay attention to your opponent's post when you're going to attack. Tiam didn't have a hand or arm anywhere near Klinge at any time - his right was on the spear planted in the ground, and his left was at his side holding his javelin. The closest thing to your wolf would have been his knee. Don't forget that you can always PM your opponent for more information if needed. Other than that, this was a good post, as always. Also, remember that the only vegetation on the lake-bed comes in the form of small bushes - the trees will be around the rim at the very least.)

The wolf must either have sense what was coming or been startled into attacking by the sudden snap of Tiam's head. Either way the beast lunged forward, teeth snapping just a hair's breadth from his knee when the blast of the shout took him away. It was a close call - one that certainly would have left Tiam wounded if he had not already been starting the yell. Presently he had escaped unharmed, but he had forgotten the unnatural quickness of most animal's reflexes and their damnable instincts that could tell when things were wrong, even when humans could not.

The girl was also surprising - she snapped her whip out with a quick and practiced motion, bringing the stinging weapon to bear much more quickly than Tiam had anticipated. He didn't suffer for his confidence though, and instead backed away and starting trying to call her pet back to her side. The poor thing was in pain, and had the situation not been different the bandit might even have felt sorry for it. As it was he felt nothing as the wolf rubbed its muzzle in the dirt to try to stifle the pain. Tiam knew he should attack now, but he knew that beating the girl into a pulp wouldn't be very good. The old man was watching closely, and a quick glance over at that grim visage told Tiam to tread very carefully.

And so he let her shield the wolf and make gestures to him, trying to get him to understand. The girl was a bit foolish, assuming that she would never need hand gestures... Yet another lesson, he supposed. Now time for one more as the girl took a handful of dirt and puffed it into the air, creating a momentary screen of dust: "Look girl, I know you love your dog, but you wouldn't have time to be doing this against most. I should be on you like a cat on a wounded rabbit, but I'm being nice. Few others will give you this respite."

Indeed, the only time that he could remember receiving such a respite in a fight was when both he and his opponent had been well and thoroughly 'blasted' by one of his opponent's spells. And no person with thoughts of survival or victory would fail to press the advantage given them now.

Tiam moved to his right, circling around the dust could and getting ready to attack again. The old man didn't look as grim now, which Tiam took as a good sign. He wouldn't attack yet though - it was her turn to show her stuff. Training couldn't be entirely one-sided, the trainee needed to be able to use what the had learned as well. At the very least Tiam knew that much. "Come on, girlie. Fight me already."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:05 am 
Initiated
Initiated

(When I log in on here on my desktop, it logs me out automatically and I don't know why, and my mom took my laptop so I may take a bit longer to reply, but do you have any suggestions with the log in issue?)

Nadira’s eyes followed his every move, waiting for him to dare closing the space between them. She saw him look back towards the old man; she felt he would wait. Once he came closer to the dust cloud, she swiftly picked up her dust-coated whip which was on the ground next to her with her left hand. She continued and got up, standing squarely in front of Klinge, far enough in front of him so he could watch her hand with ease. Her right went behind her and closed in a fist. Klinge watched her hand carefully, counting the fingers over and over to try and get rid of his nerves of failing. He planted his tail straight behind his body, ready.

She remembered back to when they had just figured out the spikes in his tail could be shot off, and with a good speed at that. Her dad had been holding his tail, showing him how to throw it back and launch it forward right before it hit the ground. They had a wooden board set up in front of Klinge, ready for impact. Once thrown, the spike had sailed across the air, at a good speed, and sliced through the board, hitting and sinking into the tree the board had been leaning against. They had been so proud of him. Her memory drifted off as she came back to reality and her current battle.

She mirrored Tiam’s position, making sure to line herself up exactly where he was. She cracked the whip in front of Tiam’s face, a small amount of dust fell. In addition, it made a pretty loud sound. “My name is not girlie.” She whispered strongly right before opening her tightly closed fist that was concealed behind her back and simply took a step to the side, giving Klinge full view.

Klinge lifted up his mighty tail that same instant and threw it back, he knew timing was key. He dug his front claws into the ground for extra support and right before the tail would have smacked the ground, he thrusted it forward with all of his might, letting go of a single blue-green spike straight in the human’s direction. His tail hit him in the head, gently, that was a sign he had did pretty well with the force aspect of this attack.

Spike Throw [1/3]

Last edited by NightShimmer on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(I think it has something to do with the way the login cookies for the website work. I'm not actually certain of that, but I'm not aware of a way to fix it. My best suggestion is to, if you write your posts in your browser, copy your post before you submit it. That way if it says "you must be logged in to post" you won't lose your post. Do so even with firefox - I once lost my post regardless of the 'text saving' feature that it seems to incorporate. That's the best I can give you.

A good post again - good strategy. Just be sure to note that a throwing knife won't -actually- go through a board even when thrown by a skilled knife thrower. They won't pack that sort of punch in your battles.)

The girl stood up and planted herself directly in front of her wolf, whip in hand and staring him down. She had her hand behind her back, probably giving the wolf hand signals or something to that extent, unless she was reaching for a throwing knife. Tiam highly doubted that one - where would she store it? Up her rear? There was no other place TO store it with that attire. What women thought they would accomplish by dressing like that in battle Tiam was never certain. He had seen a woman mercenary in a chainmail bikini once. A BIKINI! What in the world was the woman thinking, that he was going to stab at her privates with his spear...? Oh wait...

ANYWAY, enough of that train of thought. The girl had just said something under he breath, though he only caught the tail-end of what she had said. Something about "not girlie". Well, he had been calling her girlie, maybe she was getting butt-hurt about not being called by her name? The poor thing, she didn't like being talked down to! Phaw, how could he not? She was just a girl after all, and an elf to boot! Besides, he had already forgotten her name. What was it again - Nadina? Nidana? What did it matter.

He stood poised as the girl moved out of the way, revealing her dog. The thing's tail came up like a scorpion's, and for a moment Tiam was wondering what the hell was going on... until he saw the blue-green streak in the air. He moved, but it was too late to make a full dodge. He leaped to the side, booted foot sliding nicely over a water-worn rock as he made his landing, any shorter and he probably would have rolled his ankle.

Of course, a rolled ankle was probably a better fate than the one he had suffered now. The dart thrown by the dog's tail was protruding from his left arm, the tip lost about an inch or so into his flesh. It probably would have gone deeper had it not glanced off the bone before entering. Another half-inch the other way and he would have been safe, bugger it all. He was going to need to invest in some bracers.

"Gah!" He felt his grip weaken as the muscles in his forearm were severed, luckily the damage wasn't bad enough to make him drop his javelin completely. Unfortunately, it was bad enough to prevent him from using his left hand properly. "That was a good one girlie. Your dog sure is impressive - but I don't care about your dog."

He stepped forward and threw his javelin, now loose in his grip. It slid through his hand slightly on acceleration, reducing the total power in the throw. It was still a good throw, right on the money and strong enough that he didn't look like a fool. The throw's target was Nadira's barely-hidden chest. He didn't really expect to hit her, only to goad her into using that whip. He reached behind himself after that, spike and all for he hadn't removed it yet, and awkwardly pulled out another javelin as he prepared for the girl's (hopefully) inevitable onslaught.

(Javelins Remaining: 4)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 am 
Initiated
Initiated

Nadira believed humans were the weirdest sort of race. They had no special attributes, but could do things much better than others. They seemed to be quick-witted, smarter too. She never liked dealing with them. She didn’t understand them at all. And Tiam was no exception. Now that she thought about it, she was probably pretty strange to him too. She had never needed more clothing items because she felt that a whip and her wolf were good to go. She was now having second thoughts. She could see herself with some nice shoulder protectors. Maybe some wrist protectors too.

The man leaped to the side, attempting to dodge the spike. It caught him in his left arm, sort of deep. Good shot, she thought to herself, nodding. She watched his grip on the blunt javelin loosen a bit. Klinge had gotten up, returning to his normal stance, waiting for Nadira. His ears were still in pain, but it was more of an annoying ache now. She hoped he wouldn’t suffer any long-term disability from that special. And if he did, she would have to take a month or so to teach him different hand signals for different moves. He was cleaver though, maybe it would be less than that. Or not at all, she hoped!

She raised an eyebrow at his words. “Who said you had to care?” She said, right before she saw him throw a javelin at her. She saw the movement and tried to dodge to the side. Despite her effort, the steel tip landed right above her right collar bone. Closer to her neck than her shoulder. It hit her and knocked her back 2 steps. The weapon fell to the grounds after the impact. Her shoulder stung, really badly. She knew it would leave a nice big bruise. She knew she was lucky though, that it didn’t hit her left shoulder, the side wielding the whip. Her hand touched the area, carefully. There was one spot where it stung just to barely touch it. She dared rolling her shoulder. She cried out, grabbing her shoulder with her left hand. She doubled over a bit, sucking air through her teeth. She'd be alright, but she had to be careful. She looked up, giving Tiam the look of death. She saw Klinge take off towards him.

Klinge snarled, seeing that Tiam had hurt her. He didn’t need Nadira’s help on this one. He knew the man was already on his feet. He launched towards him, running at full speed, his plan was to bite into him, as hard as he could. Either on a leg or an arm. He opened his jaws, preparing for impact. His nostrils flared, eyes mad, ears flattened, tail straight. He let a tiny bit of paralysis liquid out from his teeth into his mouth, making sure that if he did succeed in biting Tiam, he would get paralyzed. His tongue went numb from it, but he didn’t care. He had one thing on his mind. /Revenge/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(I've seen enough to pass you, but I want you to actually attack me with your character first. The whip is a very tactical weapon and can be used in some pretty creative ways. Also, remember that your pet can only attack 4 times per page, meaning that you would NEED to attack with your character (or abstain from doing so altogether) in the second and subsequent pages. Make it happen and you'll be good to go.)

Nadira took the tossed javelin to the shoulder and it struck with enough force to cause a fair bit of pain. It didn't appear to have struck anything vital or structural, but it did cause enough damage to make shoulder very tender. She was tentative to touch it and when she rolled her shoulder she cried out in pain and doubled over. Stupid girl, unnecessarily aggravating a wound would only make things worse in the long run. "If touching it hurt, the hell made ya think moving it wouldn't?. Dumbass." he silently mocked as he tested the grip on his javelin.

It was right buggered. His grip was loose enough to allow the shaft to slide his hands, and gripping with any real sort of pressure caused his arm to flare up in protest. That meant that, as far as using it for thrusting and close combat went, it was buggered. He could still throw well enough, as the girl's injury was evidence of, but in the end the wound was more crippling than he was willing to admit. He relied on his left hand for the close-in work that would be needed when someone got inside of the range of his spear too quickly to adjust to. With that gone he would need to be a little more careful.

Luckily she didn't seem the type to get into close combat - that was the job of her dog, and dogs were always easier to take down than their masters.

That same dog - a wolf really, but Tiam enjoyed degrading it by calling it a dog - charged forward as his master showed signs of momentary debilitation. The great thing about dogs was that they were rather simple, they didn't understand that charging in a straight line was a generally bad idea, and also had a hard time moving to the side - they weren't designed for it like humans were. Tiam took advantage of that fact as the dog came in for a bite against his leg.

He sprang backward as the wolf lunged as they were won't to do, a low, long spring forward that didn't really take their feet from the ground. He snapped his spear-staff in a vertical strike at the top of the wolf's head, attempting to brain the dog and knock it senseless for a few moments, while at the same time exciting the damage to its ears. He would have kicked it, but that wolf's teeth looked very sharp, and if he timed or aimed the kick improperly the battle would turn very sour, very fast.

(I also just realized that, in your post before last (the one where Klinge used his spike throw) you forgot to note the use of the special and your special count. It's customary to note that you have used a special either at the end of the sentence or the end of the paragraph in which you used it. In the same post, at the bottom, you should also note your remaining special count, as I did for Concussion. If you could do that, that would be great. :))

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 am 
Initiated
Initiated

In their previous battles, they usually altered attacking. Klinge would attack, then Nadira, with the exception of one doing double sometimes. She believed this worked very well because if one attacked, the opponent would usually attack that one, then the other could attack while the first one dealt with the damage from the attack. On occasion, neither of them would be hurt and they could double team the one they were against. This battle had been a bit different. Especially because of how they got introduced to each other, just for training.

Nadira regained her usual posture just in time to see Klinge come close to Tiam. She could handle the pain for the remainder of this battle, if she didn’t mess with it. Klinge was about to attack right before the human sprang backwards, thinking he would still make it he lunged forward, opening his mouth. Before he could bite, he got striked in the head with a staff. Klinge whined as his ears began to ring and he got an instant migraine, one of intensity he had never felt before. He backed up, shaking his head, trying to get rid of the pain. He ran a bit to the side and lowered his muzzle to the ground, pawing his snout, seeing if it would help. Nope, not even a bit. He lied down, submissive, his tail hugging his body tightly. He closed his eyes gently, trying to ease the pain. His head throbbed madly. His ears stung and he believed he had also bit his tongue as he had a metallic taste in his mouth.

Nadira ran towards Tiam, stopping a few feet before him. She stared at him, giving him another death stare. Her right arm wrested at her side, helping her shoulder a bit. Her left arm wrapped around the front of her stomach, trailing the whip on the right side of her. She dared to get closer, easing up her eyes. She added a smile to her slow, cute steps. Two of them, to be specific. She stopped, dead center to him, staring intently into his eyes. She flared her eyes once, tauntingly. Then, unexpectedly, or so she hoped, she angled her body to the right, her left shoulder towards him. She threw her left arm around her, with all of her might. The whip followed the motion, whipping around a good amount of space in front of her hopefully smacking her opponent in his middle or neck area. It did succeed in make a good cracking sound, she knew that at the least. Somewhat satisfied, she recoiled, executing a back hand spring with some difficulty from her shoulder. She had almost lost her balance from the pain, but huffed out an ouch, enduring it as best as she could. Her whip had followed her motion going up and around. Again, it made a smacking sound in the air. She highly doubted that the second one hit him. It had not been intended to hit him. She jogged back towards Klinge, kneeling down to see if he was okay. Using her peripheral vision to pay close attention to Tiam’s movement. She put her hand on his head, feeling gently. He whined when she touched the middle. She took her hand off and turned her full attention back to Tiam.

(Is that against the rules? For her to do a back hand spring? Because I could turn it into something more simple like a cart wheel, but she’s so tiny I just went for that.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(The handspring is fine since you're light and your frame makes you more agile. Your attack on the other hand is rather confusing to read, and if you think about the way it goes it also doesn't make much sense. You see: You ran forward, stopped well within (Tiam's) weapon range, gave Tiam a death stare, inched forward some more, and then attacked. Notice how many opportunities Tiam would have had to put an end to that. Your whip has a fair range on it, around 8-9 feet. Use that to your advantage and stay out of his range. Do your best to make your attacks quick and fluid, predictable attacks are most easily blocked or dodged. Another thing to keep in mind is that Tiam's chest is covered in leather, something that will not be dented by a whip. Try the limbs or face, those are much better targets. The softer the area, the better.

We'll go one more round. Give me another attack using the suggestions I have offered and you'll be fine. Your writing is up to snuff, I just want to see that you can attack well enough that you won't be stranded and left on your own when your wolf can no longer attack.)

Bad puppy, go lay down, Tiam thought as he brained the dog and it slunk away in pain. There was something satisfying about putting animals in their place, though the pirate couldn't exactly place it. Perhaps it was the fact that some animals thought that they were human, or perhaps it was because they showed such blind loyalty that it sometimes bordered on stupidity. There was nothing wrong with that, in the end, but Tiam just liked punishing him enemies for things like that and making them think twice about it in the future. Anything to knock them down a peg.

With the wolf out of the picture Nadira was forced to enter the fray. She did so in an odd way, running forward and then suddenly stopping several feet in front of Tiam while giving him another nasty stare. Did she think that would kill him? He gave her a bored stare in return as he imagined thumping her on the head just like he had to the dog. She was young so she had much to learn - Tiam just chalked the silliness up to her youth and rolled with it. He didn't even move, he just stood there and looked at her, spear poised for yet another swing as blood dripped from the knuckles of his other hand. He still hadn't pulled the spike out, and had no intention of doing so for as long as possible. Keeping the wound plugged would prevent excess blood loss. He would sooner the spike be driven even further in before pulling it out at this point.

She crept forward a few more feet with a smile on her face, to which Tiam returned a scowl. Then, finally, she sprung into action. It was an impressive move, whip rising quickly in a circle around her, the tip cracking as it left the ground with great speed, and again as it slapped against the leather covering his chest. He felt the light concussion from the strike through the leather, but that was it - he almost regretted raising his spear hand to guard his face from the assault. The end of the whip just didn't have the mass to cause any sort of damage through armour. It was an agile attack, but it didn't hurt in the least. If she hadn't sprung back on her injured arm Tiam WOULD have brained the girl.

Then she moved to her wolf... Like clockwork. The pirate sighed, "That was pretty smooth girl, but I hardly felt a thing. That was also silly, you've got eight or nine feet of leather there, use it. Now, attack me again and make it hurt or I'm going to come over there again and brain your dog. And then I'll do it again, and again, and again until you do it right. Every time you fail I'll hit your dog. Just how many more do you think he can take?" He advanced slowly, taking leisurely, measured steps toward her. This was it. He had openly threatened her dog's life in a brutal way, if that didn't spur her into hitting him then nothing would. A quick glance at the old man showed a look of disapproval, but he didn't speak up. That was good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 am 
Initiated
Initiated

Nadira shook her head, shaming herself. She hadn’t realized the whip wouldn’t do much against chest armor. She could be so foolish at times. She agreed on really paying closer attention to her surroundings and even more specifically to her opponent next time. But that is what this supposed ‘training’ session was for, right? She definitely did not examine Tiam close enough. She decided she would be more careful with choosing her routes with attacks and such in the future.

Klinge felt a bit better, having a small rest watching while his master attacked. His head still throbbed slightly and his ears rang a tiny bit, it was enough to keep him on the ground where he was. He would hopefully be healed enough by the next time he was given the opportunity to attack. He prepared himself by gathering his back feet underneath him, flattening out his ears on his head, and smacking his tail on the ground twice, checking to see that it was good to go, as Tiam advanced leisurely towards them. His tail spikes hit one after the other, making three thud sounds.

Nadira listened intently as the human spoke, more carefully figuring out what her next move would be. He had said he wanted her to attack again or else he would hit Klinge. This had angered her, quite a lot in fact. No one hurt Klinge without some sort of inflicted pain in return. She decided on the wounded arm this time, understanding that would be the best point for attacking. She waited, anticipating his leisurely steps towards them. She then rose quickly, still keeping an intimidating eye on Tiam. She took a step closer for accuracy and cracked the whip towards Tiam, making another whipping noise, hopefully hitting the target somewhere on his wounded arm. If dead on, it would have hit the top of the intrusion point, right where the spike entered his skin. If lucky, maybe it even lashed around and hit his back from whiplash. She couldn’t gage how much space there was between them, maybe three or four feet. In the past, she had practiced lashing trees in different areas from different points of views, training herself how to angle or twist her left wrist in the correct manner to strike the opponent in the region she preferred.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

(Much better. That's exactly what I wanted you to do - it's what I would have done. Your attack is well thought out and effective. Just remember that a whip is MOST effective at it's longest range as that allows the greatest transfer of energy to the tip through the snap of the leather. Otherwise this is well done. You pass. I'll post some advice for you below in the voice of Tiam. You've got some great potential, NS, keep working at it and you can be great!)

It was about time! The girl used her head and did exactly what she should have. Nadira let him get a little closer than she should have, but that might have been because he wasn't openly charging her. He could forgive her that, and would have to since the spike from the wolf's tail was summarily ripped from his arm in a gush of blood. He cried out in pain and stopped his advance, 'javelin' falling from his hand to the ground, leading the initial cascade of blood.

"GAH! That was a good one, Nadira. I guess I can stop calling you girlie now since you actually know how to hit something." He took a few steps back, blood running from his fingertips onto a scrubby brush as he passed it by, "I think we're done here. You've learned a lot, but don't think that this one battle makes you a master. There is always more to learn, and far more to work on." He nodded toward the old man, "You can take your wolf to the grandpa for healing - he'll fix you two right up."

The bandit felt himself getting a little light-headed, "Some parting advice though. Do your best to keep away from your pet. I know you want to make sure he's okay, but being able to attack your opponent from two sides at once is too valuable to pass up. Remember, attacking while your enemy is occupied with a friend is the best way to win." He squatted down and clamped his right hand over the hole in his arm, "Be sure to keep what your opponent is wearing in mind as well. Once your whip gets more dangerous that will be less of a problem, but until then there's no shame in hitting your opponent in the pills."

"Well, that's everything. Go on then, and be sure to get some new clothes. I feel mildly disgusting because I find you attractive."

(That's all for your training battle. You're free to have real battles now with anyone who is available. I would like to mention though that real battles will be much longer than this, so you might want to be more sparing with taking hits. Taking a hit is definitely a good thing, but taking too many too early just makes things complicated and overly difficult near the beginning if you don't have insane stamina. Just something to keep in mind for the future. Enjoy the world of DI :))