It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Finding a Rival Between a Plain and a Forest (vs JuliodlE)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Kitzaron lowered his head and leant forward until he placed both hands on the ground. He exhaled vigorously one last time, as he caught his breath. Sebastián’s footsteps faded in the distance. He was definitely leaving... one more demonstration of his impulsive behaviour.

He laughed at the suggestion of being partners. Even after having considering it, himself.
Maybe the boy was sincere and noble, and truthful. But that didn’t change the fact that he was brattish and immature. There was no teaming-up with that.
He was young, and the warrior knew it. But he remembered himself, at his aged, being a father and a husband.
Shall the gods know what kind of prince Sebastián had been. Perhaps he had been a decent one, and this lack of clarity was just the result of his spiritual wound.
Maybe that sorrow was to blame... the kind of grief that marked his countenance, even disguised as a petty smile. Maybe the boy was more of a victim than a criminal.

Sebastián called for him from the insides of the forest, and that brought him back from his thoughts. He was changing his mind again! He decided to stay and fight. His reasons remained obscure to Kitzaron, since what he said, made little sense to him. The former prince was making some sort of comparation between the two of them... something that could only fuelled Kitzaron’s inner fire.
“Do I know more about life...?” What was that supposed to mean, he wondered.

“Listen to me...” he gasped, but exhaustion was gaining over him. At least to point of making him desist from engaging in rhetorical quarrels. The warrior would have loved to explain himself better. He would have told him about his anger, about his frustration. But there was no time. He was tired and wounded, the day was coming to an end, and Sebastián himself said he was about to faint or something.

"Prepare to face your own demons, lad. For there I go!”
Kitzaron grabbed his scabbard from beneath the blades of grass and charged in a frantic race towards the prince, who was already standing in a defensive position. In the run, the warrior crossed his left arm over his chest holding the scabbard as if it was a sword.
Once reached his opponent, he kneeled of a sudden and made a circular swing to hit Sebastián’s knees.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Sebastián Braced himself for another round with the older man. The breeze started to grow colder as the night approached, the sky now in a transition between the orange of the sunset, and the dark blue color that later on would come. It was not a favorable situation for him, his sight would be affected by the effort he had made before, if he didn’t get into the heat of the battle once more, his hope of being able to see at night would not be large. It would still be a minute or more before night time, he could use that time.

As he set his defense high, the opposing man ran towards him, scabbard in hand. The duel would continue, but this time, each of them would be using his preferred fight style, having thought that, Sebastián also accepted the fact that this gave an advantage in reach for Kitzaqron, and that he had to dodge as if it was a real sword, unless he wanted to die, in a sense. He took the time granted to him to observe the movements of his opponent. Much like him, Sebastián learned that Kitzaron preferred using non-lethal blows that would still grant Kitzaron a win if they struck (Undeveloped Genius).

The former prince, former Reenian, concentrated himself on the movement of his opponent’s shoulders. Reminding himself of the words of his old teacher Even if you are afraid of seeing the eyes of the person you are about to kill, his shoulders will tell you of his actions. It wouldn’t be impossible to see what Kitzaron was planning beforehand, especially because he was running. However, the sudden kneeling had come as unexpected, it could still be avoided. Stepping back would still allow the sword to hit him, so he could only move in the same direction of the attack.

The attack came from the young man’s left side, so he jumped towards his right, it was more than enough to get out of the scabbard’s immediate attack range, the backside could still do a noticeable amount of damage to his knees though, so he prepared a simple blow. He closed in quickly, and let his knee fall towards his opponent’s right shoulder using only his weight. If he had used his left leg’s power to aid in that attack, hitting Kitzaron would have meant dislodging his shoulder. He didn’t, using only his weight, the attack would, at most, throw the older warrior off balance for enough time to continue the attack.

After finishing, he’d end up kneeling as well; he’d have his left leg straightened, and his right laying on the ground. It wasn’t an advantageous or disadvantageous position, just a position. He noticed that it was one of the few situations in which he’d allow himself to use his knee as a weapon, unlike fists or kicks, the knee was frequently considered dirty in fighting, but his opponent had also gone far enough to attack his knees, which meant it was fair play. Plus, he was not in a rage, not at that moment at least, it would not be as painful.

Last edited by Brilliantly Dark on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Kitzaron’s blow was easily dodged by the prince in a little jump forward, which all in one contained his defence and his attack. So the old warrior felt a slight satisfaction: after all, that was a clever move to conjure... specially considering his opponent was tired, perhaps ill, and the light was dim to focus with ease in a dark target.

Both combatants had a rather dark skin that didn’t quite glow in the dusk, but the prince’s shirt offered a timid advantage over the naked torso of the former knight.

As his face transformed into a gritting teeth smile, Sebastián’s knee hit his shoulder. Though not a specially hard one, the blow pushed Kitzaron away, making him fall on his back to the ground.
The only reasonable thing to do for the soldier was to regain a proper position, despite the relative advantage or disadvantage of the terrain. So he crawled backwards over the back of his neck, uniting his effort to the displacement provoked by the hit.

There hadn’t been much strength in it. Maybe Sabastián was running low on stamina already, as he foretold. Maybe he wasn’t playing to his full capacity. The question was why. Was the young warrior on his last moments of physical capability? Or was he saving strength for a more opportune charge?
Not knowing that, troubled Kitzaron’s mind. Because not-knowing meant guessing, and more often than not, guessing meant mistaking... thus failing.
And there was no more room for failure. This was the last assault of the combat. Whether if he could manage to force the prince into facing his personal demons or not... was entirely up to him. It depended entirely on his next decisions.

Both were almost at the same height. Sebastián was sort of kneeling and Kitzaron, in a crouched position. The scabbard held by his right hand, while his left was in the ground clutching a piece of grass and earth.
He desperately needed the certainty of his opponent status to ensure a proper move. Should he throw a fair thrust to his neck, expecting him to dodge or parry efficiently, or would it be preferable to just swing an arc to maintain the distance?

Such is the difficulty of pushing someone to his edge. If exceeded the safety fringe, Kitzaron would never forgive himself.

After hesitating a whole second, he launched the thrust. But not to the neck: too dangerous. To the chest. Harder to avoid, but less inimical.

When he pushed his right hand forward, he left the pain of all wounds and hits taken so far... His almost naked body suffered the growing cold in the air. As the growing fatigue in his muscles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

The human body worked wonders for a combatant, even when he or she wasn’t exactly aware of what his or her own body was doing. As for the current fight, Sebastián’s body had hid the pain well, but as he was soon to find out, hiding it didn’t mean not having received any. He had landed with his knee in Kitzaron’s shoulder as he had intended, and exactly as the prince planned, the older man fell to his back. Nevertheless, the flinching effect he had desired lasted only for mere seconds before allowing his opponent to recover, in a fair position, no less.

His opponent took nearly an entire second to decide on his course of action, something that allowed him to close in slightly, just enough to be able to land a solid hit. With his knee now muddled, the young man took a moment to collect his breath, despite having done a large amount of effort, he could, in fact avoid losing against fatigue. This was made possible by reacting with minimal movements, though, eventually he’d have to make a large attack, as long as he could avoid it to recover his energy, it’d be okay. The next attack would once again force him to dodge, teaching him about the importance of knowing his own wounds in its way.

The only thing he did was push himself to the right side using his left leg, which was straightened. Seeing that it would block movement to the left side, it would be only natural for him to do that. Kitzaron’s attack still connected, it connected in a much worse place than what the warrior had planned. As Sebastián drove his right fist forward in an attempt to hit Kitzaron’s chest, he was struck below his left arm, in the exact same place in which he had received an injury previously.

The attack forced him to twist uncomfortably; his fist was affected by it as well. Instead of being a straight punch to the chest, His arm made a parabolic movement, going up and then descending. The aim was also affected, instead of hitting his opponent’s chest; the attack was just about to hit Kitzaron right above his cheekbone. Sebastián knew that he couldn’t stop anymore, it was the last round after all, if he did, his loss would not limit itself to physical defeat, but rather, a dangerous cliff in the way of both, his goals in life, and the minuscule possibility of being happy once more by freeing the spirits from their curse.

He gritted his teeth, but his face remained showing only an expression of sadness. If anything, the only other expression that he was showing, was a scowl, not even directed at Kitzaron, instead, directed at himself for being useless. For being too useless top protect his mother from death, to aid his fellow slaves in returning to royalty. Too weak to control his impulses, weak enough to have his emotions take the lives of innocents, and weak enough to fear death, allowing him to continue in his existence. But at the very least at that moment he had a cause to fight for, and he would allow the spirits to receive the rest they deserve, regardless of anything.

His scowl deepened while he thought of this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:47 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Wow... I believe we reached the climax. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we (writters) are experiencing the same exhaustion of our characters... it's just amazing! =)
---

The fight had been brought to the kneeling level. Kitzaron, though tired, couldn’t but feel a relieving gratification, not to mention ache and exhaustion, of course. Both warriors were so close to the ground, anyone would have bet they might fall every minute, now.
But they were still fighting, and that was the reason for his satisfaction. He knew he had little more to offer, but Sebastián was too, doing a great effort to continue the duel.

And at last, the prince made the one movement he had been expecting almost the whole encounter: a coming-up punch to the face.
Shame the hour was that late, for he coated doubts regarding his true capacity of reacting accordingly. Nevertheless, it had to be tried.
He bowed even more, a bit to his right, to let the fist slide over his left shoulder and jumped forward to plunge himself into his opponent.
In the move, the side of the attacking arm managed to scrape the exterior of his brow.
It was too soon to be noticed, but some hot blood streamed from the cut.

In the air, his right wrist turned in a subtle swift to let the sheath be grabbed by both hands [SWORDMANSHIP]. If performed correctly, the length of the scabbard would hit Sebastian’s throat, and probably send both dead-weight bodies to the ground.
The prince was a big man, but Kitzaron wasn’t a tiny one, either. So he deposited all his confidence on his own weight. Though risky, considering the fighting skills of the boy, it meant one less effort for his old body.

But enough of saving strength, he said to himself. The moment had arrived to be brutal and fierce. He would push Sebastián to the end of his endurance, whether it would help or not to his spiritual issue.
There was little less Kitzaron could do for him, at least in the present situation. Maybe the day after should bring a better light upon them, and acceptance, and clearness to study the facts while smoking their pipes.
But that was another mystery; but one that wouldn’t last for long, for one of the two colossal warriors was about to vanish or agonise... or something. If not both of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:22 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Actually, I couldn’t agree more, I hope this post prove satisfying for both, you, and the readers.
---

The battle had heated up far more than expected by that single punch he had accidentally thrown. It would seem to him that even the older warrior was taking him seriously, Sebastián would follow suit. As the night closed in definitely, his exhaustion seemed to reach its limit. It was not only caused by the previously used rage at that moment either, it was equal parts rage and a truly challenging fight that didn’t leave the fighters any time to rest. His movements weren’t close to being as efficient or powerful as his usual self would allow him to, but it wasn’t time to give up yet, he still had more to give.

His punch had travelled through the air swiftly, hitting Kitzaron on his brow, and effectively drawing out blood. The fluid that came out of his opponent’s face couldn’t even affect the flow of the combat, but it reminded Sebastián that he was, in his own right, highly skilled in combat, more than enough to at the very least, reach a standstill during the battle. Meanwhile, the opposing fighter moved his hand with determination. Whether he was among those that battled for enjoyment, or he was a stern teacher attempting to make a stubborn student face the truth had yet to be seen.

The blade wasn’t hesitant at that moment, he was not about to receive pain in the form of a simple thrust to the chest, or an overhead slice. His punch had left him highly vulnerable, his defense wide open for a strong attack. The strike was aimed at Sebastián’s throat, if it hit, it would be nothing less than lethal, he had to dodge somehow, however the position of his knees did not allow much in the way of movement. Instead, he’d only reduce the amount of damage done; his hands were too far away to attempt to parry the blow, which meant that he had to move his neck in order to stop himself from receiving death.

He twisted his face so that it was facing his shoulder, that way, the blade would hit the part of the neck that had muscle, instead of his throat. And while he performed his defensive maneuver, he placed his other fist in a position that would allow him to hit his opponent. Since the attack that had been done against him was a two-handed slash, there was a large breach between the tip of Kitzaron’s blade, and the older warrior’s face.

This in turn allowed Sebastián to attack his opponent’s jaw, his fist was lowered, Sebastián moved his arm upwards using both, his body weight, and as much force as he was able to muster. Using the breach to its fullest extent, his knuckle would most likely make contact with his opponent’s face, unless he did something to avoid it. While he performed his attack, the scabbard struck his neck, his vision became blurry for a second, Sebastián knew what that meant. If he allowed himself to fall to the floor, the impact, regardless of not being very powerful, would knock him out. Even while falling, he still had a chance to attack again, even if his knuckle didn’t connect.

He thanked the gods for his reach, and awaited the result, could he have another chance at attacking, it was mostly luck at that moment, though, for the intent of his training, he had been beheaded. Sebastián’s fist would only attempt to bring the battle into a tie, that way he’d know, that although he wouldn’t die just like that, had he died, his body would continue, to ensure that his opponent would, as well. After all, his fist had too much power into it already, nothing would be able to stop it just like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:02 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Yeah, I liked it! But it was a bit rough to handle, though. As your attack was supposed to happen at the same time that mine, I had to decide which hit first. Hope I didn’t spoil the fun.
---

The kid demonstrated once again that the close range combat was his field of expertise by minimizing the damage absorbed in a single twist of his neck. Though the clash collided, in that position Kitzaron wouldn’t be able to squeeze Sebastian’s weak-spot with all his weight.
And further more, while falling backwards the prince managed to throw one more punch, intended to slip through the gap between his both extended arms; aiming presumably at his jaw.

Kitzaron intended to knock him down, and fall onto his body.
In any other occasion, the counterattack wouldn’t become much of a threat because Kitzaron usually retrieves his weapon after a given charge. Save for this wasn’t any other occasion: it was his last breath.

If done right, there was nothing Kitzaron would have been able to do about it. But the scabbard hit first, and Sebastián wasn’t even looking, thanks to the graceful manoeuvre of his head.
Therefore the fist stroke the warrior’s left elbow, the one that had been jealously protected during the whole afternoon, the one that was already wounded when the battle started (it had been hit by a halberd on a previous battle against Infineon). Now, the first time he went bold and frontal, his opponent didn’t miss the chance. Though probably without intention, it was already done.

Kitzaron yelled empting his lungs as an ailing pain ran through his nerves like he was being slashed by the most evil of the gods. His left arm was dislocated, if not for real, the result was just like it. And the rest of his body went stiff. His face transformed into a swollen, sore expression.
He unintentionally spat a thin rain of saliva on Sebastián’s face by the time he could close his jaw in a tight clench. And also dropped a little blood from the scar on his brow.

Sebastián was looking to a side, but his chest was right upwards and Kitzaron was sticking to it, holding the sheath with great difficulty (with both hands), as if he was about to strangle him with it.

“You have to let them go, mate!”, his voice sounded hissing and harsh, like a pair of rocks being rubbed together. “There’s nothing you can do for them anymore...! They’re done... You have to remain here. They have to move on!”

And suddenly, he felt the mystery was about to be solved. It would be him the one to faint. His head started to heat up, his hands turned cold. His vision became blurry...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

It really feels as if I have been knocked out as well.

--

He felt how his fist collided against something, not a face unfortunately; instead, it was something that had an edge, a bone, perhaps an elbow or a knee. He moved his sight to see that his opponent’s elbow had been damaged heavily by the attack, perhaps even, somehow, dislodged. It was possible that Kitzaron had been fighting with a damaged arm the whole battle, the painful scream that he threw only proved it as a fact. A drop of saliva fell into his face, coupled with a blot of blood, oozing from the elder’s wound. It was possible that he was about to be knocked out, just like Sebastián.

His vision was blurry, but he could still hear the noises that were close to him with certain precision. He heard a few words from his opponent, referring to the Reenians surrounding him. He said that Sebastián had to let them go, that they were already dead, and that he should continue living. And there was nothing that the younger warrior would have loved more, but life was harsh, it wouldn’t let him off so easily.

“Currently, it is impossible, the spellcasters that destroyed Reenah also imposed their souls upon me by magic, my link with them can only e broken through another spell, or help from the gods.”

His words went through while the scabbard of his opponent was pressing on his neck; he still had a chance to throw one last punch before falling down. He used his remaining strength in a single attack, he was confident that he could separate Kitzaron from himself with it. He used his heels, now the axis of his body, which was separate from the ground. In order to move himself to the left, up to the tip of the scabbard. And from that position, he threw a single punch towards his opponent’s cheek, it was thrown with both, his power, and his desire to become stronger, and it would represent those two thoughts with the will of the user.

If it hit, Kitzaron would be thrown away, and probably knocked out by the attack, bringing the game to a tie. If it didn’t, it would be a loss for Sebastián. The prince entertained the thought while his vision became blurrier, his perception of the weather slowly disappeared as his eyes forced themselves to close in order to protect his body. His vision became pitch dark, he wouldn’t be able to see if his attack hit, but at the very least, he was young enough to have the possibility to continue learning, even if he lost that fight, there would be more to come for him, serious fights, in which he would actually attempt to kill his opponent, and the other way around as well. He was no longer conscious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:00 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Did the scabbard slip form my hand? Where is it? He wondered.

The darkness was utter; the cold, increasing. Too much blood had been shed from the wound in his abdomen. Exceedingly great, his effort.
His face seemed to be plunged into earth and the fingers of his right hand were wriggling amongst the grass, looking for the lost piece of metal that had served him as a weapon, so far.
What happened before the lights of the stars passed by with haste?

He had been punched, finally, after uncountable dodges and parries. The prince had managed to hit his face, and he wasn’t exactly in his best shape. Not after the injuries and the toil. It meant far more that what he could have endured, in his present state.

Now, as his respiration got softer and surrounded by silence, he could understand the last words before the punch. Sabastián had claimed to be the victim of a wicked lord of magic, and that there was no use to keep on trying to beat the spell with strength and stamina.
A part of him felt realised form the burden, but there was a rebel sensation of disgust, feeding upon his hate for magic and the gods.
For who else is to be blamed for the devastation of the principality of the boy? And who, for the fate of his own homeland? ...who, if not the gods?

The idea planted on him by the Old-man started to germinate deep in his heart, if he still had any. He had to kill, kill, kill... even if every magician would become a target... even if all the heathen gods.

An overwhelming sorrow took him; filling him up and surrounding his mind. Without any more strength even to keep on gritting his teeth, he said to himself he could not be broken by magic. He would never bow down to a pain caused by it. He had to give the boy one last lesson.
So, mustering every last drop of will from the tips of his dying body, he pushed the ground off him and reached a kneeling position [EXERTION weak x3].
On all fours, he got to the prince, who was lying face up, not five palms from him, and grabbed him from the shirt with every intention of shaking him up; but he couldn’t. Though his left arm responded, it felt numb, and the sole right one wasn’t nearly strong enough for the task.

“Wake up, boy...” he murmured. “Gather your strength and come back from wherever you are. Be sure that your power can last beyond magic and divinity. Don’t even think of underestimating yourself. You can do it, lad”.

He shook his head in surprise as a warm tear came forth from his eye. Or was it a drop of blood?

Sad as it could be handled, the truth was he had been defeated. Not by falling to the ground. Not by having been knocked by a younger warrior. His true failure consisted on the lack of courage and nerve to make the boy crack and face his fears.
---

Well, well, well... Please, feel free to continue or to let it be. But NOW I am proud of a tie, here.
Thanks for bearing with me. I really hope you prefer this ending that the one it would have been before.
---

EXERTION, 2 left (and I’ll use them if I must) =D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

I am glad to say that you were right. The battle was much more compelling this way rather than with the half-baked ending that I tried to place halfway through. Thank you for this! May the best win in poll, good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

Am I expected to say anything?
Just in case: "let's do the poll thing". =)