It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I have been mulling over my options now that I am on my way to having my first milestone spell and I have accumulated a decent amount of gold. Here are two of my ideas, I'm just looking for some constructive criticism.

Item

Elvish Travel Jacket: This jacket appears to be a regular cloth jacket with a hem that comes right below the knee. It has a couple regular side pockets and a chest pocket as well as a couple interior pockets and is similar to a duster style jacket in that it has the mantle around the shoulders and a high neck that can be clasped to form a small mouthguard(to lessen the effects of breathing in smoke, for example). The weavers of this jacket used a magically treated silk that allows the wearer ease of movement yet protects as well as light leather armor. The final touch on this jacket is that the wearer can change the color.(not at will, like during a battle since that might be along the lines of an ability but I can simply say "For this fight, the jacket is black, the next fight it is blue, later it is red", etc. mainly for my own descriptive purposes)

Mods, how much might this cost?

Spell

Brightshrapnel:This spell requires a summoned Brightsteel sword. The sword, after being aimed towards an area, destabilizes and explodes in a conical blast, sending dozens of sharp bits of steel outwards towards the area of effect. Obviously, the sword is destroyed in the process.

or

Brightshards:This spell requires a summoned Brightsteel sword. The sword is slashed towards an area and the blade comes apart, splitting into five pieces that fly outwards along separate trajectories. When a segment hits something(be it object or person) it leaves a slash akin to a razor cut but disappears in a small flash(thus the attack would never cut through anything) and reforms the Brightsteel blade. [Light, Weak/Instant/warlock] 1x per battle

or

Aura Flare: This spell requires an active Aura spell(the only one currently available is Holy Aura but I might make a custom Aura spell later). The warlock absorbs the remaining power of the Aura and then releases it as an offensive, 360 degree attack. This burst of light hits with blunt force that varies from being pushed physically to being hit with a large wooden board within a couple paces. Anyone outside of the range of the attack who is staring at the attacker suffers vision problems akin to staring at the sun too long for 1/2-2 posts. The power of the attack and it's effects are dependent on how long the aura has been active(if this power is activated right after the Aura is used, it is at it's strongest and is it's weakest when the Aura is on it's last effective post)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if none of these pass for a weak but if that's the case, I'd like some help/suggestions* on tweaking them or what strength they should be.

*See what I did there? Because this is the SUGGESTIONS forum! Ahahahaha...okay.

Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:54 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I'd price the jacket at around 15 gold. Basically, it's allowing you light-armor protection without any kind of physical hindrances. It's akin to Jaedin's "Undead Ninja Armor" in terms of what it does. The color thing seems mostly icing on the cake and, since it won't be changing mid-battle, I think it's just fine.

Bright shrapnel seems acceptable for a weak, esp. since it's destroys a spell you can only use once per battle. I don't seem a problem with Bright shards either, since it's 1x and doesn't have the power to do serious, slashing damage.

You might've seen this coming, but Aura Flare won't fly for a weak, I'd think. It's a pretty large blast of energy, with multiple affects given the targets proximity. And, those affects are rather potent for a weak milestone.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Are you stealing ideas from my desktop or something? Aura Flare AND a duster jacket? Oh well. =P

A few things about the Elvish Travel Jacket. A full set of leather armor is 20 gold... so a jacket that does the same thing would have to cost as much, easily. Also, since you're a caster and can't really get leather armor on a normal level, it will cost more. If the "guard" was aesthetic, I'd approve it... but since it helps protect you against Jaedin's Powder Ball, it'll be more. The color thing, while aesthetic, could still potentially help you in battle... at least in the respect of camouflage. Does all that make sense?
---I plan on making something similar, but I've also posted something in the "Weapons and Skills Bank". If you want to decrease cost, try to lower what it does or tie on a weakness to it.

Brightshrapnel, that would be fine... but I feel as though you could do more with a super-summon-sword. Aim higher.

Brightshards, that seems fine. It's akin to the Wizard's spell Magic Shards... but it has a magical catalyst. Go for 2x per battle, weak.

Aura Flare, it would be just like the old psiwave spell that I'm sure you're familiar with. Go for a medium, 2x per battle... and be sure to get another type of aura spell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Thanks for your input, guys.

The jacket isn't really a full set of armor but it does cover my upper body and most of my legs so I can agree with that comparison. However, the 20 gold full set is for the best leather armor available, which would be the studded leather. The jacket is closer to the protection of leather armor. That's funny that you mention Jaedin's powder ball because that was exactly what went through my head when I thought of that, though it wasn't to protect specifically against that attack. Anyway, I could nix that. The color change thing is mostly for myself but it fit into the flavor of the jacket and I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of an issue. I was looking to get the jacket for under 20 gold, mostly because I was leaning towards just buying mage mail but I wanted something a little cheaper and more personalized. Maybe a weakness could be that the magical enchantments placed on it were specifically designed with physical fighting in mind and the jacket does not defend against magic attacks any better than a regular shirt would?

I was working on making Aura Flare into a skill and had some good ideas when I realized I am kind of ripping oso's Prodigy idea, so I'm sorry but I really love the idea so I might have to do it anyway.

Instead of Aura Flare, the skill will be called Burst. It will allow Vius to absorb the power remaining in any of his enchantment type spells(Currently Holy Aura, Wings of Light and Brightsteel) and convert it into an attack. For each enchantment, it would be different, so Brightshrapnel and Aura Flare would be examples of the effects of Burst. Where it would differ is that I would hope that the effects could be used without having to use an extra skill(in other words, whenever I have a new enchantment, I get a new Burst effect). I know that is basically free spells but there are two drawbacks. One is that it ends the enchantment and two, after each use, there is a period where Vius can't use any spells. It doubles after each use of Burst in the battle(so after first use, can't use spells for 1 post, then 2 then 4 etc). What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

S'pose I'm comin' to Jodai's defense on this one.

of_shattered_origins wrote:
A few things about the Elvish Travel Jacket. A full set of leather armor is 20 gold... so a jacket that does the same thing would have to cost as much, easily.

I'd like to point out that Jaedin's original, normal Ninja Armor cost me only 15 gold, and I'd reckon I appraised its strength as above good leather. It allowed him the utmost flexibility as well, and it looked darn sexy. Jodai equates the protection to "light leather"...not the finest dead-cow in the land.

of_shattered_origins wrote:
... but since it helps protect you against Jaedin's Powder Ball, it'll be more.

Somebody's sleeve could do just as much. Yet, I don't see people being charged for sleeves that can filter air. It's light leather armor with a nice, custom collar that won't block out all smoke/debris/dust/Powder Ball(TM), but some. Besides, how often will Jaedin go tossin' Powder Balls(TM) at Jodai's warlock?

@Jodai's "Burst": It's a very good idea, actually...a lot of video games design around that, creating a good array of [whatever] and then allowing those to combine with others. Chrono Trigger's multi-tech attacks come to mind.

If you were to do that, I'd like to see a description of the combinations you'd use, so that somebody could read it and know what you mean. Also, perhaps a limit of a two-aura combination would be nice, else Vius explodes from excess power or something. That way, you wouldn't have to have a huge growth of explanations for new combinations, and you won't become some giant, god-like Aura-bomb as Vius gains additional auras.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Thanks for the assist, leboy. The sleeve thing is more what I meant when I mentioned the mouthguard. It wouldn't make Vius invincible to those kind of attacks but I just wanted to make it clear that there is a bit of cloth to cover his mouth so he doesn't actually have to use his sleeve. The coat is something I imagine elven special forces would use. Vius would pick one up on the black market though he can't use it as well as someone who was trained to use it would(that's why the color changing aspect wouldn't work as an instant skill but it is still something he can do between battles)

As for Burst, I might not have explained it as well as I could have so I'm going to create a rough draft. However, if I understand lbx's interpretation, that may be another route to explore.

Burst: Vius absorbs the remaining power of a spell that has a duration and expends it all immediately. Depending on the spell, the effects of burst vary and the strength of burst is dependent on how soon it is used after the spell is cast. The burst is mentally and physically draining on Vius and more so as each burst is used. After the first burst is used, there is a one post "recharge" phase where Vius may not cast a spell and is a bit slower to react. After the second use, there is a two post "recharge" phase, as well as Vius being physically exhausted the first post after the second burst. A third burst is possible in one battle though there will be a 4 post recharge and 2 posts of weakened physical state afterward. A fourth burst would be suicidal.

Then each "enchantment" type of spell would be edited like so:

Holy Aura: The warlock summons the southern cross to envelope around themselves. This aura protects them slightly from physical attacks. The wearer glows partially during this effect and it lasts 4 posts. [Light, Weak/Slow/warlock] 1x per battle
Burst effect Aura Flare an offensive, 360 degree attack. This radial burst of light hits with blunt force that varies from being pushed physically to being hit with a large wooden board within a couple paces. Anyone outside of the range of the attack who is staring at the attacker suffers vision problems akin to staring at the sun too long for a few posts.
1 post after casting: Strong blunt force, vision problems last 2 posts
2 posts after casting: Medium Blunt force, vision problems last 1 post
3-4 posts after casting: Weak blunt force, vision problem for 1/2 post

I have a feeling that may not fly or it might cost more than it's worth(though it's worth a lot to me, I think it would be a very unique form of magic use). If that doesn't work(and even if it does) I had another idea based somewhat on what leboyx mentioned.

Excess Power Absorb: As an enchantment comes to an end, Vius absorbs trace amounts of the power used to provide the enchantment. This excess power is stored to be used along with the next offensive spell cast and provides an additional "edge" to the spell. Multiple EPAs are possible but if an enchantment ends and another is cast, the excess energy simply flows into the new enchantment(if both skills were approved and I had them both, an addendum would be added that Bursts cannot be enhanced with EPA, nor can an enchantment ended with a Burst be stored for an EPA enhanced attack)

Another example:

Holy Aura: The warlock summons the southern cross to envelope around themselves. This aura protects them slightly from physical attacks. The wearer glows partially during this effect and it lasts 4 posts. [Light, Weak/Slow/warlock] 1x per battle
EPA effect Aura Force The next offensive spell cast will do blunt force damage or, if it already does blunt damage, the damage will be greater.

----------------------------------------

I'm just kinda bouncing ideas around right now so that by the time we get the kinks worked out, I'll be about ready to actually use them. Thanks for taking the time to read them and feel free to throw in your two cents even if you're not a mod!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Ah, I see. It struck me that you wanted to be able to combine multiple, currently-cast aura's together into "Burst". But, even what you've described for "Burst" I find intriguing. It's a very versatile skill, really: you get alternative affects for each aura you acquire at no "additional" cost, minus that the aura ends as soon as you use the skill.

However, I'm a bit confused on EPA. Sounds like you're running with what I'd assumed (combining multiple aura's into one "thing"), but the:

You wrote:
Multiple EPAs are possible but if an enchantment ends and another is cast, the excess energy simply flows into the new enchantment

part confuses me. It sounds like you say multiple EPA's are possible, and then you go on to say they're not. I suppose I'm just missing what you mean.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

For the EPA skill, it's possible to start one buff-type spell, then on the next turn, start another type of that spell so that they both end around the same time. However, if one enchantment ends and then another enchantment spell is started, the EPA is lost. In other words, EPA effects could stack but only if the enchantments are being stacked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Wait wait wait wait wait...

Wait...

Shouldn't your custom item be a flowery wand?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:56 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Yeah and it could shoot out jets of glitter that fall slowly to the ground like little sparkly snowflakes... :roll: ...no.

Dammit, wolf, I'll never forgive you for branding my character as a fairy!

A million curses on you and your house!

...Ah, who am I kidding? I can't stay mad at you, ya little rascal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:51 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The time has come, I actually have a weak available to me and I'm freaking out because I'm not sure what to use it on.

First off, could would it be ok if, for Brightshards, I changed "The sword is slashed towards an area and the blade comes apart, splitting into five pieces that fly outwards along separate trajectories" into "The sword is slashed or stabbed in a direction and comes apart, sending out five different pieces."

Also, as far as ambidexterity is concerned, how strong of a skill would I need to have for that? Keep in mind that I don't mean dual wielding(which someone mentioned in a separate thread would take a strong for a caster class) but I do mean one hand is as good as the other so if I was holding two swords, I could attack with either one with about the same proficiency.

Lastly, is the jacket definitely going to cost 15 or is it going to be more? I might change the flavor text so that Vius is wearing a trenchcoat designed for halflings so it only covers the upper half of his body, if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:29 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I see no problem with a change in that spell.

As for ambidexterity, -I- would say that it would be synonymous with dual wielding. Not in the traditional sense, of course... but for game mechanics, wouldn't they? There are definite subtle-thingies to fighting with two sword, but with ambidexterity, how could we regulate the difference?
---I wouldn't bother with it, personally. Care to give an example of its use?

3rdly, Uh... I think Leboy wanted to approve it for 15, but I still struggle with the idea. You're a magic-user so you don't get access to leather armor. But I could use this to my advantage. =3
-----My very similar idea protected like leather, but weighed a lot... so it restricted movement and reaction speed. Mine was quoted at 16.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:32 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

He's not allowed leather, which is why he's being charged the exorbitant 15 gold.

?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

There's a 15 gold price tag attached to anything that labels you "Cool" and "Unique".

I see it as unique, upper body protection that works like leather... but doesn't restrict his movement. AND it can change color.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

But...we'd agreed the color changing was supposed to be only for RP purposes?