It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

jodai wrote:
...with good writing/roleplaying/backstory, you could identify classes without a skill attached.

But that's lame, and anybody here would catch that right away. It borders on god-modding, even, as you suddenly have this "convenient" knowledge of stuff that makes you the perfect weapon against your opponent.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

LeboyX, i have had it done to me many times with no fuss

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:11 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I think if someone went "oh, he's a _________, I should do this" that would be lame. I have seen people realize what class other people are by seeing what they do or by having experience with others of that class, which is more of what I meant.

Chase is right but Boreas, from his description, is obviously some kinda swordsman and I've seen plenty of people call him a duelist on the first post. I haven't seen anyone try to exploit that knowledge, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:30 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I would like to use the Christmas gift to get rid of my catalyst skill Resurrection and then add that to my other medium to form

Resurrection:
A vampire's blood, a lich's bones, a zombie's skin, mummified organs and the essence of a specter. With those ingredients, Akmun brought Vius back from the dead, repairing his body, restoring his soul and solidifying the bonds of loyalty between the undead king and the elven warlock. He also left the elf with a bit of the power that each of those undead creatures held. Vius can tap into these powers and utilize them, though he must research and perfect the usage of each power before he can activate it in battle. Echoes of the defeated creatures exist in Vius' subconscious mind and spur him on in battle, increasing his reflexes somewhat. Strong, catalyst

The biggest change is that the catalyst now slightly boosts Vius' already pretty fast reflexes but I also removed the part about the undead creatures only augmenting Vius' spells so now they could affect his skills, too. Would that be okay? Is it not strong enough? I was considering just taking the 5 gold but gold is so much easier to get than a skill rework...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

See also here... If the idea gets accepted, you don't need to use a redo and then add the medium to buy the skill again as a strong, you could simply upgrade the skill instead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:12 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I guess that's true. I still might take the skill re do and trade Beamstrike for Daybreak.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

jodai wrote:

Resurrection:
A vampire's blood, a lich's bones, a zombie's skin, mummified organs and the essence of a specter. With those ingredients, Akmun brought Vius back from the dead, repairing his body, restoring his soul and solidifying the bonds of loyalty between the undead king and the elven warlock. He also left the elf with a bit of the power that each of those undead creatures held. Vius can tap into these powers and utilize them, though he must research and perfect the usage of each power before he can activate it in battle. Echoes of the defeated creatures exist in Vius' subconscious mind and spur him on in battle, increasing his reflexes somewhat. Strong, catalyst

The biggest change is that the catalyst now slightly boosts Vius' already pretty fast reflexes but I also removed the part about the undead creatures only augmenting Vius' spells so now they could affect his skills, too. Would that be okay? Is it not strong enough? I was considering just taking the 5 gold but gold is so much easier to get than a skill rework...

As a general rule, catalysts don't offer any stat bonuses to the maker. They only offer the ability to make skills and specials/spells based on their text. In this case, it allows you to make fusions of undead attributes to your spells and take on the attributes of an undead, amongst other things.

We try to avoid catalysts adding stat bonuses because the strength of the catalyst then enters a 'grey area' and it's hard to decide exactly what strength said catalyst is.

Sorry Jodai, it's a no go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:03 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

If you want your catalyst to do stuff as well, get another skill that is boosted by the catalyst that does that. See: Drakol.

{Exactly} ~ Yoz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:06 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Yeah, yeah good point, Michael.

@ Yoz, for some reason I thought strong catalysts could offer stat boosts, I don't know why. The only reason I was going to change my medium to a strong was I read one of your earlier quotes "A strong would get you something sort-of noticeable," as needing a strong catalyst to get what I'm after but I'm hoping just a strong skill.

I've discussed skills/catalysts/spells in other topics and sometimes there is something I try to remember and can't so I refer to this topic but the information I need is not here so I sort of just...make it up, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

Oh, but as is, even thought it's worded wrong, can I make skills in addition to spell modifications based on my catalyst? If so, can I change the wording slightly to reflect that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

jodai wrote:
Oh, but as is, even thought it's worded wrong, can I make skills in addition to spell modifications based on my catalyst? If so, can I change the wording slightly to reflect that?

You have a catalyst that gives you the essence of undeath. Sure your primary focus is to put it into your spells, but I see nothing wrong with using that same essence in your skills as well. You may use a catalyst however you see fit, so long as it remains relevant to the skill at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Approval, price or just constructive criticism of an item? It's just one of those things that won't get out of my head so I had to write it down.

Death's Wings

This item appears to be a simple black robe. However, in the lower hem is sewn small blades that can be extended by gripping the cape, allowing the wearer to use the cape as a sort of weapon. The material of the cape is ribbed and folded over and over, allowing it to absorb hits better when the blades are retracted and extend up to a spear's length away for an attack. The weapon is a bit unwieldy, though and requires the user to be familiar with it's use before managing much more than a lucky hit here or there. Also, the added weight of the metal knives drag the wearer down a bit, hindering their movement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:35 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I would be much more happy with this if you somehow tied it to your light wings.

I'm not 100% sure how this would work honestly. Do you think you could give a different description of it? I'm not saying NO, I just can't give it to you in the form it has been presented in. It sounds unsafe, even for the wearer.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Okay, possible new custom spell

Unstable Energy: [Insert Flavor Text] Vius can charge small items (ie ranged weapons) with energy and then they explode, possibly after one post. The explosion is in about 1/2 m squared and is cold, and the energy doesn't change the properties of the weapon beyond making it explosive. (Void, Instant, Weak) 3x

I'm also planning on making it a Substitution spell, too but I just wanted to get it down now and see what you guys think.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

It's interesting, but there are a couple of things that we have to go through...

1. How do you get the energy into the object? Do you have to be holding it? Touching it? Looking at it? I'd have a hard time approving a weak spell that allows you to look at a rock near my feet and spontaneously cause it to explode...

2. Shrapnel? Or does it just become pure energy?

3. Does the object explode on the same post that your spell is cast or can you put a delay on it?

Not saying how much any of that would cost...just want you to put it down (sound familiar? :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

1. Vius has to touch it and it can only be a small item or object( roughly the size of a dagger or smaller).

2. No shrapnel. In fact, thinking about it, I decided the object itself would not be destroyed, it would just have an explosive expulsion(that's fun to say out loud) of energy.

3. There's a one post delay. So, for example, I picture Vius throwing a shuriken and it stabbing into the ground. Then, next post, it explodes. It's not variable, though. If it's too close to the mystic ability, I'm fine with a burst but I think it works better as an idea if it has a small delay. Also, if it helps to know, the charged object would glow with silvery light.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next