It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:01 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
Provided that this only does a small amount of blunt damage, then I'm fine with it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:35 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
We(as a group) talked about how Custom Substitutions would work but I can't seem to find the thread so I'm just going to ask, how does a custom substitution work?

From what I recall, the substitution has to be stated in the initial spell and the spell that it can be substituted for has to be made along with the spell I'm purchasing.

For example, say I get the weak from earlier, can I also say it can be substituted for:

Charged Blade: Vius can infuse his weapon with Void energy, allowing it to hit slightly harder and do cold damage in addition to regular(slashing, blunt or piercing) damage. In exchange for one post of usage, he can send a small fan of cold energy that can affect a wide area or a small wave of cold energy that travels along the ground from his weapon as an attack. The infusion lasts for 5 posts. Vius must know unstable energy before he can learn this.(Void, Fast, Medium) 2x

Also, here is another possible custom spell:

Brightsteel Lash: A long(1 1/2 meter), thin fiber of pure brightsteel appears in Vius' hand and allows him to use it once, either as a whip or a quick makeshift rope that could possibly trip or restrict a limb. However, only moments after it strikes, it fades away, allowing only momentary distraction for an opponent(Brightsteel, weak, fast) 4x

->

Brightsteel Cable: A thick brightsteel cord with variable length(1-4 m) and a pointed end. This spells appears to rip itself directly from Vius' palm, allowing him to use it as a tool for climbing or snaring opponents. Also, the cable lasts two posts, so it can be used as a whip or a means to bind someone for a short time. Vius must know Brightsteel Lash before he can learn this spell. (Brightsteel, medium, fast) 2x

Finally, two possible custom items:

Tetsubo- It is 2 m long, weighs approximately 90 kg and is covered in iron studs. This is a weapon Vius found while exploring the depths of Akmun's hidden chambers; it seems to be based on a demon's heavy weapon. In fact, it might have even belonged to a demon once. Vius can carry this heavy, unwieldy weapon about on his back or use it like a very heavy walking stick but he can only truly attack and defend himself with it when he activates Akmun's jewel. He finds the weapon especially useful when dealing with the undead, especially skeletons.

Crow's foot- Small, four-pointed throwing weapons with tiny barbs along each point. Mainly used as a deterrent against a pursuing enemy, these can also be thrown in a flicking motion, though their shape requires considerable force or luck to embed itself perfectly. Come in a pack of six, can be scattered 3 at a time or tossed one at a time.

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:43 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
jodai wrote:
We(as a group) talked about how Custom Substitutions would work but I can't seem to find the thread so I'm just going to ask, how does a custom substitution work?

From what I recall, the substitution has to be stated in the initial spell and the spell that it can be substituted for has to be made along with the spell I'm purchasing.

For example, say I get the weak from earlier, can I also say it can be substituted for:

Charged Blade: Vius can infuse his weapon with Void energy, allowing it to hit slightly harder and do cold damage in addition to regular(slashing, blunt or piercing) damage. In exchange for one post of usage, he can send a small fan of cold energy that can affect a wide area or a small wave of cold energy that travels along the ground from his weapon as an attack. The infusion lasts for 5 posts. Vius must know unstable energy before he can learn this.(Void, Fast, Medium) 2x

Also, here is another possible custom spell:

Brightsteel Lash: A long(1 1/2 meter), thin fiber of pure brightsteel appears in Vius' hand and allows him to use it once, either as a whip or a quick makeshift rope that could possibly trip or restrict a limb. However, only moments after it strikes, it fades away, allowing only momentary distraction for an opponent(Brightsteel, weak, fast) 4x

->

Brightsteel Cable: A thick brightsteel cord with variable length(1-4 m) and a pointed end. This spells appears to rip itself directly from Vius' palm, allowing him to use it as a tool for climbing or snaring opponents. Also, the cable lasts two posts, so it can be used as a whip or a means to bind someone for a short time. Vius must know Brightsteel Lash before he can learn this spell. (Brightsteel, medium, fast) 2x

Finally, two possible custom items:

Tetsubo- It is 2 m long, weighs approximately 90 kg and is covered in iron studs. This is a weapon Vius found while exploring the depths of Akmun's hidden chambers; it seems to be based on a demon's heavy weapon. In fact, it might have even belonged to a demon once. Vius can carry this heavy, unwieldy weapon about on his back or use it like a very heavy walking stick but he can only truly attack and defend himself with it when he activates Akmun's jewel. He finds the weapon especially useful when dealing with the undead, especially skeletons.

Crow's foot- Small, four-pointed throwing weapons with tiny barbs along each point. Mainly used as a deterrent against a pursuing enemy, these can also be thrown in a flicking motion, though their shape requires considerable force or luck to embed itself perfectly. Come in a pack of six, can be scattered 3 at a time or tossed one at a time.



Your post is a little confusing, but let me see if I get the gist of it:

You want to create Charged Blade as second-tier substitution, correct? If so, for which spell? (I'm asking this before I even approve the spell itself, which will need a bit of work)

Brightsteel Lash is a stand-alone spell, correct, and would then tier up into Brightsteel Cable? What you have illustrated here is pretty much the way that creating custom substitutions is supposed to work.

Your weapons:

Tetsubo: 90kg = ~ 200 lbs. So... you're just going to walk around with this thing? That's even sillier than Josh's walking armoury, at least he was strong enough to warrant carrying all that weight. That is FAR too much for any weapon that I will ever approve. A heavy warhammer weighs ten pounds and carries more than enough force to crush a head like an overripe melon - this would just be silly, provided you could control it even with your strength jewel. In short: Sorry, but no.

Crow's Foot: This is a more acceptable weapon, though the description itself is a tad confusing. They're basically shuriken with barbs on the ends, am I right? If so then these are perfectly acceptable and will cost (since they're throwing weapons and I'm assuming a set of 5) 13 gold (if you remember, custom thrown weapons have a reduced cost because of their general '1 time use' policy in battle).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 am 
Offline
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 485
Location: The eye of every storm in this game apparently.
Yozshand wrote:
jodai wrote:

Finally, two possible custom items:

Tetsubo- It is 2 m long, weighs approximately 90 kg and is covered in iron studs. This is a weapon Vius found while exploring the depths of Akmun's hidden chambers; it seems to be based on a demon's heavy weapon. In fact, it might have even belonged to a demon once. Vius can carry this heavy, unwieldy weapon about on his back or use it like a very heavy walking stick but he can only truly attack and defend himself with it when he activates Akmun's jewel. He finds the weapon especially useful when dealing with the undead, especially skeletons.

Crow's foot- Small, four-pointed throwing weapons with tiny barbs along each point. Mainly used as a deterrent against a pursuing enemy, these can also be thrown in a flicking motion, though their shape requires considerable force or luck to embed itself perfectly. Come in a pack of six, can be scattered 3 at a time or tossed one at a time.


Your weapons:

Tetsubo: 90kg = ~ 200 lbs. So... you're just going to walk around with this thing? That's even sillier than Josh's walking armoury, at least he was strong enough to warrant carrying all that weight. That is FAR too much for any weapon that I will ever approve. A heavy warhammer weighs ten pounds and carries more than enough force to crush a head like an overripe melon - this would just be silly, provided you could control it even with your strength jewel. In short: Sorry, but no.

Crow's Foot: This is a more acceptable weapon, though the description itself is a tad confusing. They're basically shuriken with barbs on the ends, am I right? If so then these are perfectly acceptable and will cost (since they're throwing weapons and I'm assuming a set of 5) 13 gold (if you remember, custom thrown weapons have a reduced cost because of their general '1 time use' policy in battle).


Kay sir,

I'll rebuttal with this he said in the post that the crow's foot come in a "pack of six." Therefore I'd assume six not five, also his stick requires a custom jewel if i read it correctly which means its a custom weapon requiring a custom jewel yet un-described making it impossible to approve one without the former. I do understand your point though the weight of it is impossible for a stick like Vius even empowered by a holy spirit and a devil. He's still a high elf to begin with and a caster to boot. (meaning strength isn't his forte like me not getting spells making wording my dark catalyst a b@$^%)

_________________
Image
A perfect storm of action and reaction no thought no will can stop his dream.
Myrie, of the night


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
Azazel wrote:
Kay sir,

I'll rebuttal with this he said in the post that the crow's foot come in a "pack of six." Therefore I'd assume six not five, also his stick requires a custom jewel if i read it correctly which means its a custom weapon requiring a custom jewel yet un-described making it impossible to approve one without the former. I do understand your point though the weight of it is impossible for a stick like Vius even empowered by a holy spirit and a devil. He's still a high elf to begin with and a caster to boot. (meaning strength isn't his forte like me not getting spells making wording my dark catalyst a b@$^%)


I acknowledge that I said 5 instead of 6, but I was calculating it for 6. Therefore the price still stands. Also, custom jewels cannot be created, as they are items with abilities, so there would be no 'custom jewel' to come. And barring that his elf couldn't lift such a thing, I wouldn't approve that weapon for ANYBODY no matter now strong. Barring that the physical mechanics of making a 2-meter long 200lb bar is silly (the thing would need to be a bar of solid steel several inches around) getting hit with such a weapon would be akin to being hit by a car, making even the lightest brush a potentially fatal impact.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:48 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
Okay, okay...it was late and I was tired. I just got bit by a writing bug last night but looking over it...um, well, the tetsubo was going to be a custom club, pretty much. I might have gone a little crazy with the weight of the item. In fact, I might just buy a regular war hammer or a great sword that Vius carries and only uses when he is at the appropriate strength level.

Az, I already have a strength jewel, that's what I was referring to.

Yoz, this is what I mean by crow's foot, though mine are a bit sharper. I mentioned barbs but the plain pointy ends are more than enough.

Also, the spell I was referencing for Charged Blade was the one a page back, Unstable Energy. That would be what could be substituted for Charged Blade. However, I am interested in the idea of "second tier substitutions". I'll have to think on what to do with that. There's also this catalyst I have that's not really doing anything right now, so I might have some work to do as far as custom spells. I am interested in getting these spells approved, though. I figured I was reaching with Charged Blade, what can I do to fix it? I'm thinking the length it lasts might be too long and the cold bolt ability might need some tweaking.

As always, thanks for the input guys.

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:52 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
Ahh, okay, so they're caltrops that are more meant to be thrown. That's cool then. The cost will still stand at 12 gold.

Unstable energy seems like a suitable substitution, but Charged Blade itself needs work. The biggest problem that I have is that, as it stands, it can last 5 posts OR be used to shoot 3 bolts of energy, which is a little much in my opinion. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure on the whole 'firing bolts' thing, since that gives two potential uses to the special. In general, versatility costs you. I'll let you keep that functionality if you reduce the number of posts it lasts down to 3. The 'fan' of energy will need a definite size as well.

Brightsteel lash: I see nothing overly wrong with conjuring a thin cord that is roughly 5 feet long. However, you should be sure to note that it is easily broken since you're getting it at 4x.

Brightsteel cable: This launches itself right from your palm, right? So, in essence, it's a brighsteel lance that is attached to your hand that is flexible and has other uses. Is the tip just pointed, or is it able to cut as well? Right now I'm seeing this taking an extra post to cast, or perhaps limiting it to a specific length (3m?) and reducing it to a medium cast time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
For Unstable Energy, I know I want it to be a lead in to a substitution but I can't really think of what I want. Are you saying I could leave it open and choose it's next tier later? I might be misunderstanding you but are you suggesting I can even create a higher tier spell for, say, Wings of Light? I would be interested in that but I think the discussion we had so long ago imposed some sort of limit. I think it was that a substitution could be created but whether you purchase it or not, it takes one of your custom spell slots e.g. I have a slot open for a strong custom, so I could make up a higher tier spell for any of my medium spells. However, if I make custom weak or medium spells, if I came up with the next tier at the time of creation, could I create them both but only use the initial spell's slot? I want this to be fair but I don't want it to be unnecessarily complicated.

For Brightsteel Cable, I would not mind if it took one post to materialize. Honestly, I planned to use this as a sort of grappling hook/scorpion tail thing. Only the tip is pointed, but the cable is about an inch thick and capable of supporting at least Vius' weight, so it could be used to bind someone pretty effectively. They'd have to stand still and let him tie them up or he'd have to get some kind of lassoing skill to really make that work though.

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 am
Posts: 680
Well saddle up there cowboy!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
jodai wrote:
For Unstable Energy, I know I want it to be a lead in to a substitution but I can't really think of what I want. Are you saying I could leave it open and choose it's next tier later? I might be misunderstanding you but are you suggesting I can even create a higher tier spell for, say, Wings of Light? I would be interested in that but I think the discussion we had so long ago imposed some sort of limit. I think it was that a substitution could be created but whether you purchase it or not, it takes one of your custom spell slots e.g. I have a slot open for a strong custom, so I could make up a higher tier spell for any of my medium spells. However, if I make custom weak or medium spells, if I came up with the next tier at the time of creation, could I create them both but only use the initial spell's slot? I want this to be fair but I don't want it to be unnecessarily complicated.

For Brightsteel Cable, I would not mind if it took one post to materialize. Honestly, I planned to use this as a sort of grappling hook/scorpion tail thing. Only the tip is pointed, but the cable is about an inch thick and capable of supporting at least Vius' weight, so it could be used to bind someone pretty effectively. They'd have to stand still and let him tie them up or he'd have to get some kind of lassoing skill to really make that work though.


Holy balls, talk about unnecessarily complicated!

The simplest way to do this is as follows:

Pitch the spell, indicate whether or not you want to use it for a substitution (or use a prior spell to substitute it) and then (in the first case) pitch the proposed substitution for approval. You need not buy them all at once, nor even occupy a custom slot for ones that you have not bought, simply keep note of the next tier and purchase it at your leisure. Pretty easy, right? The only limitation is that you must know the basics before you can move on to the next. Thus if you create a medium spell first, that will be the 'base' and will not be able to have a weak substitute up to it later on down the road, y'dig? It can only be used for a substitute for a strong.

That sounds good to me as far as Brightsteel cable goes, I just wanted to make sure. Also, the length is set upon casting, right? If not, you'll need to do that. You can create something anywhere between 1-4 feet (or whatever you said, too lazy to look) but once cast it will have to stay at that length. Deal?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
Yozshand wrote:
Pitch the spell, indicate whether or not you want to use it for a substitution (or use a prior spell to substitute it) and then (in the first case) pitch the proposed substitution for approval. You need not buy them all at once, nor even occupy a custom slot for ones that you have not bought, simply keep note of the next tier and purchase it at your leisure. Pretty easy, right? The only limitation is that you must know the basics before you can move on to the next. Thus if you create a medium spell first, that will be the 'base' and will not be able to have a weak substitute up to it later on down the road, y'dig? It can only be used for a substitute for a strong.


That sounds a lot simpler.

For Brightsteel Cable, I would say between 1 and 9 feet, if that's okay. I plan on getting this spell when next I have a spare weak.

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
That sounds good to me. I remember that you wanted the measurements to be in meters now. That length works just fine. Show me the final results and we should be good to go.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
I used meters and such because I thought everyone else did. As an American, I still have a feet and lbs mentality. Anyway, the total spell package would look like this...

Brightsteel Lash: A long(1.5 m), thin fiber of pure brightsteel appears in Vius' hand and allows him to use it once, either as a whip or a quick makeshift rope that could possibly trip or restrict a limb but can be easily broken. Also, seconds after it strikes, it fades away, allowing only momentary distraction for an opponent(Brightsteel, weak, fast) 4x

->

Brightsteel Cable: This spell allows Vius to conjure a thick brightsteel cord of 3 m with a pointed end. On the first post cast, this spell appears to rip itself directly from Vius' palm. Afterwards, it grows to the predetermined length, allowing him to use it as a tool for climbing or snaring opponents. Also, the cable lasts two posts, so it can be used as a whip or a means to bind someone for a short time. Vius must know Brightsteel Lash before he can learn this spell. (Brightsteel, medium, fast) 2x

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Canada
Sounds pretty good. How fast does it come out of your hand? (Arrow speed? Faster? Slower?)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Item/custom spells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm 
Offline
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: AR for some reason
I will make a small edit to the Cable spell, if that's okay.

This spell allows Vius to conjure a thick brightsteel cord of 3 m with a pointed end. On the first post cast, this spell appears as a silver point floating above Vius' palm. Then, it appears to rip itself directly from Vius' palm, launching forth in a slow extension, although Vius can simply hold onto it instead of shooting it out. It grows to the predetermined length, allowing him to use it as a tool for climbing or snaring opponents. Also, the cable lasts two posts, so it can be used as a whip or a means to bind someone for a short time. Vius must know Brightsteel Lash before he can learn this spell. (Brightsteel, medium, fast) 2x

So it can be shot out but at a slow pace(slower than an arrow), but I'm not sure what to compare it to. Maybe a thrown dagger?

_________________
"What torment, to have your thinking and your fantasy tied down by another person!" - Alexander Alekhine
Vius Ottum


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Maganic Wars Online Role Playing GamesPowered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group