It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Patch time?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

So I've been thinking for a little while now about how we could improve DI, and I've come down to the idea of throwing out a patch. It wouldn't be on the scale of the massive overhaul that happened when DC was around, but it would still be pretty big and world-changing. Mostly I would like to focus on lore, cleaning up the site, and retooling a few of the underused classes to bring them more in line with what the others are. I'm posting this here so people can throw ideas around for what they think could be redone/revamped, but I'll outline my ideas below so that we have somewhere to start.

What I would like to see done wrote:
Lore update
- A bit of lore to each of the races - backstories to help shape the world and the relations between the races
- Revamp the deity list
- Fix the alignment page (seriously, that thing needs some love) or just remove it completely
- Give some general lore to DI (creation myth, origins of magic, the layout of the world, etc)
- A map of DI's continent main continent (Our old one, while good, is quite lacking and never really caught on.)

Class update
- Clarify the spiritualist (easily the most confusing class right now)
- Do -something- with the alchemist to make it more playable
- Finish the necromancer(?)

General stuff
- Clean up the site, primarily the stuff in the 'making a character' section.
- Finally revamp drow, sylvan, orc and human(!) racials.
- Work on the outlines for a 'story teller' position that can help mould the lore of the world.

That's what I would like to see done, but I'm sure there's more. Feel free to post here and let me know what you guys think!

Post subject: Re: Patch time?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:01 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

I'd be really happy if we went toward becoming advertising ready.

Also, don't we still have to contact people if stuff goes on? Being self-reliant would be cool.

Otherwise, Yoz covered a bunch of bases right there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

It'd be nice, I think, to have a name for the world/continent/whatever (unless there is a name and I just couldn't find it). I didn't know what to refer to the realm of DI as while I was making a character.

Maybe a "The World" page in making a character? It could have a map (if one gets made) and major events that have taken place listed.

Also can the race page's layout be updated? Maybe put each race in a quote box, just to make it nicer to look at. For example:

Quote:
High Elf

The most magically adept of the three elven races. Their entire society is based around the manipulation of the many types of magic that are parts of this world. They are generally tall and slim individuals with pale skin and hair, though some may be different depending on the location of their dwellings. Having a high magical affinity has given High elves a slight resistance to magic. Their association with magic has lead to the evolution of the brains of these elves to be naturally more powerful than the average person of the same age. This effect is strengthened as they age, but age always comes at a price. This advanced brain allows them to process coming information more quickly, giving them a little more time to react.

Disadvantages:
    Frail: High Elves are more frail than others. Their slim and lanky nature doesn't permit much in the ways of natural armor.
    Weakness: High Elves spend quite a number of hours studying each day. They're not as strong as other races.

Advantages:
    Magical Lifeblood: Their magical nature gives High Elves a slight resistance to magic.
    Quickened Mind: A High Elves natural intelligence allows them to think faster and, thus, react more quickly.

High elves make excellent casters, fair agility classes, and mediocre warriors.

Quote:
Drow (Dark elves)

The third major group of elves that inhabit DI. Unlike their cousins they live underground in the miles upon miles of caverns that make up the Underdark. Their society is a viscous one and is almost always filled with turmoil and constant war. Drow elves generally have dark skin that can range from dark gray to night black. Their hair is generally silver or white, but some rare cases can produce other colours. The Underdark is a nasty place, filled with horrors that are beyond most things on the surface. Due to the nature of their dwelling, they are inherently the most agile and stealthy of the elven races and possess absolute dark vision. As the name states, Absolute Dark Vision allows the drow to see as clearly in any kind of darkness as they would in the day. Their dark skin also makes them harder to spot in dark conditions.

Disadvantages:
    Incoporeal Weakness: Drows are weak to attacks of an incorporeal nature. Things that do not have a definate form, like psionics, wizardry, or ki, damage them more.
    Flash Burn: Ultimately living in the Underdark, while making them tougher, has prevented Drows from getting along with Sunlight. They have a slight difficulty seeing during a sunny day.

Advantages:
    Absolute Dark Vision: Having lived in the Underdark, Drows have gained the ability to see through complete darkness.
    Shadow Blending: Their black skin allows a Drow to hide easily within a shadow. They're still visible, but one could quite possibly go past them without noticing.)

Drow make excellent agility classes, fair warriors, and mediocre casters.

If you want I can go through and do something like this for all of them over the course of a day or so (that is, if you prefer it this way). Although I suppose it would make the races page gigantic. I wish there were collapsible boxes of some sort.

I think I may care way too much about formatting, haha.

Anyways, these are just things I noticed while making my character.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:16 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Murgatroyd wrote:
If you want I can go through and do something like this for all of them over the course of a day or so (that is, if you prefer it this way). Although I suppose it would make the races page gigantic. I wish there were collapsible boxes of some sort.

I think I may care way too much about formatting, haha.

Anyways, these are just things I noticed while making my character.

A good idea, but I intend to give each race its own page, so it wouldn't last for long.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:26 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Creation Myths YUSH! Gimme a basis to work off of and I can start pulling Myths outta my rear all day every day!

OOooooo and I would love to see a story teller position instituted! Someone to keep tabs on lore, myths and legends of DI, and spread the joy~! Updates would have to be made (fairly) regularily for this though, and to be completely honest, I would have no issue doing that at all. Hell, I love myths and lore. Mythology is one of my fave areas of 'expertise' when it comes to my random bank of knowledge.

As well, yes I agree, DI needs a Realm name, continent name, and maybe institute some kind of sect situation for specific races, like the ones that dont seem to mix well with others? Like would Rathols seriously live with Kiltharr if given a natural order choice? Or would they purposely separate their settlements to be farther from each other? Humans would probably mix in with everyone, but there would be 'purists' of any sort, where entire towns are just a single race.

As for the revamping on Sylvaan Drow and etc, YUSH. Do it. Just dont kill my Sylvaans please.
I know I brought it up before, but Sylvaan racials do need a little bit of rewording/clarification. Because when it said that Sylvaans were 'Bulky', I assumed that meant that they were bulky compared to other elves and thusly were built like lithe humans with the slight proportional bits of elven kind. Dunno, just little things like that that confused me. No frame of references really.

Also having a world page would be epic. And I agree, we should totally have 'spoiler/hide' text formatting, if that would be at all possible to implement at some point in the foreseeable future? That would help a lot with cleaning up char sheets as well, given that Bios could be kept on the char page, but hidden, and opened only when they wanted to be read, instead of taking up a thread in Tales just to cover that. (Though then you get the crazies like me, who have a huge freaking Tale going on as a sort of Bios... ~w~;; )

Other than that, I am here, point me in a direction you want me to run and I will go for it! Though I would love to be nominated for StoryTeller honestly. Its like my dream job! (My own personal one, Not necessarily Nuncia's, though that would be hilarious. Can just imagine her going into a tavern to tell the tales of the world, and have to NOT kill people... Hey! A God could command her to do so! Itd make her... well it would force her to be nicer to people! XD)

--end of rant--

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:26 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Nuncia Algos wrote:
Creation Myths YUSH! Gimme a basis to work off of and I can start pulling Myths outta my rear all day every day!

I've actually got a creation myth already drawn up that also explains the origins of magic. I've also begun work on racial histories, but that's a big task and we need a map before that can fully be completed. What I really need is a deity list, but before that can come we need to make a decision on what to do with Alignments. If we keep them we can divide the gods by alignment, but if not then we can just have a list of gods without bringing alignment into it.

OOooooo and I would love to see a story teller position instituted! Someone to keep tabs on lore, myths and legends of DI, and spread the joy~! Updates would have to be made (fairly) regularily for this though, and to be completely honest, I would have no issue doing that at all. Hell, I love myths and lore. Mythology is one of my fave areas of 'expertise' when it comes to my random bank of knowledge.

Before you jump all over it let me actually pitch the idea. It's not quite what you're thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Yozshand wrote:

I've actually got a creation myth already drawn up that also explains the origins of magic. I've also begun work on racial histories, but that's a big task and we need a map before that can fully be completed. What I really need is a deity list, but before that can come we need to make a decision on what to do with Alignments. If we keep them we can divide the gods by alignment, but if not then we can just have a list of gods without bringing alignment into it.

Before you jump all over it let me actually pitch the idea. It's not quite what you're thinking.

Thanks you two. I also thought about it and I've heavily written backstory on drow history. I don't know if you guys actually care or not just based off this stigma of drow brutality. A war like barbarism Monarchistic land. I'd also really like to revisit the map because there isn't a clear location as to where drow's actually come from on it.

My points:

- Clear homelands for each race (Map)

- Clean the Battle Ground, Tavern and World Area's of the forum
[Those are really long and spam bots use the old stuff to Necro]

- Maybe foundation style tournament/king of the hill or capture the flag what ever the case maybe alternating with the KoD. (Introduce new tournaments for creativity.)

- Separate thread (Hall of fame maybe) For tournament winners and golden spork winners
[Just an award area not for regular posting]

- Have we considered a real chat service instead of this email style area?
[Revamp messaging?]

That's all for now. I liked all of Yoz's points.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

MyShipSails wrote:

It's ready for advertising now. Just need someone who knows how to do so to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Wolf231 wrote:
MyShipSails wrote:

It's ready for advertising now. Just need someone who knows how to do so to do it.

I know how, I just do not feel that we are ready. Advertising now would be like releasing a book without editing it - it would be a complete waste.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

We definitely need some of that stuff to go forward, for sure. I'd be more than willing to tackle some of the editing and such. (That's kind of my thing.) I might not have the epic myth-dishing ability that Nuncia has, but myth has always been a big part of why I like writing and such.

I'm more than willing to do the tournament stuff - I'd like to think that I've done a good job with it, but I think we almost need to have more of a "living world". Not totally sure how to word it, but most of our characters seem to live in isolation and develop separately through smaller interactions. Don't know how this would occur, and I definitely still want to see the battle system remain in place, but there seems to be something missing.

Just my thoughts...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:57 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

We are missing a battle arena/Colosseum, clearly.
A place where people can sign up, and get put up against others aside from their 'random encounter' battles, at a designated time.

O.O o o(I suddenly had an image of Mad Moxxy ringleading this. OMFG yush.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:59 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Yozshand wrote:
Wolf231 wrote:
MyShipSails wrote:

I know how, I just do not feel that we are ready. Advertising now would be like releasing a book without editing it - it would be a complete waste.

You advertise for a book before it's published, Yoz.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:11 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I agree with Wolf on this one - more exposure will be good either way. It takes time for that stuff to kick in.

I disagree with the idea of putting out an arena. In my opinion, the tournaments/"random encounter" system works rather well. I know at least one or two people will disagree with me, but I'm not sure we should be putting a "King of the Hill" style system out, not with the population levels we have right now.

{I agree with this. We've already tried the King of the Hill thing once, and it didn't work out very well.} ~ Yoz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:36 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Wolf231 wrote:

You advertise for a book before it's published, Yoz.

Quite right, but given that I will be the one funding the paid advertising (unless people want to pitch money into a pot for the advertising campaign) I would like to make sure that my money does not go to waste. Also, if we want to stand out, we want to have as high a polish on the site as we can - which is definitely required on any of the 'free' advertising sites. The competition is ridiculously fierce out there, so without the highest level of shine possible, our efforts will be in vain.

Now, do you have anything to suggest? You've been around for a while, I'm sure you have ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Azazel wrote:
- Clean the Battle Ground, Tavern and World Area's of the forum
[Those are really long and spam bots use the old stuff to Necro]

Would be a shame to loose all that, though. Maybe we can get some sort of archive for older stuff that is no longer relevant for our new mythology/world?

On the topic of the map: I have some problems with how is will be getting used. Is every player supposed to keep track of where they are? If so, you would have to meet up in order to battle, which might be difficult depending on how hostile the map is. (i.e. to get to the battle, you had to cross the swamps of sudden death, which was probably more difficult than the battle)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next