It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: RANGER IDEAS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 am 

So how do we see the arrows being sold?

Personally I like the idea of weaker arrows being sold in sets of 5 while more advanced arrows sold in 3's and something crazy being sold in singles for example a larger version of an explosive arrow might be sold in singles under the guise of arms control laws.

What do we think?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

That makes sense. I believe the initial objection was to letting other classes purchase the ranger-specific arrows, which I'm still not in favor of. But limiting the amount of arrows you can by for a given price given their power makes all the sense in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:13 am 

I'm not against other classes buying custom arrows. I'm against other classes buying Ranger Arrows. If a fighter wants to spend 20 gold for a set of 5 custom arrows that a ranger could buy the same number for 4 gold they can go right ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:51 am 

Quote:
Rangers start with 6 gold, a short bow, a Quiver and 30gold exclusively for arrow purchasing.

Specials are still made as per normal but they require arrows to use so a special that allows you to fire two arrows will use two arrows from your quiver.

Quote:
Quivers:
A Ranger can carry up to two quivers at a time:
Quiver: Standard looking quiver, can hold up to 24 Field Tips. Costs 15 Gold.
Deluxe Quiver: Can hold 30 Field Tips. Costs 20 Gold.
Rangers Quiver: Can hold 36 Field Tips. Costs 25 Gold.

Quote:
Arrow Types:
Here’s where the unique ability of the class comes in.
Rangers can purchase special arrows to replace the normal ones in their quiver. Each purchase of an arrow gives you one use of that type of arrow per battle, buying 2 of them gives you two and so on and so forth. However you have to choose at the start of the battle which arrows you are taking with you. Custom Arrows can be purchased as obviously I cannot think of every type of arrow, The cost and number on purchase are to be determined by mods, and some advanced arrows may require a catalyst at the mods discretion.

Arrow Size explained: Arrow size is basically the ratio of how many of this type of arrows takes up the same space as how many Field tips.
1:1 means each arrow take up the same space as a normal field tip.
2:1 means you can fit 2 arrows into the same space as one field tip
1:2 mean each arrow takes up the room of two field tips
2:3 two arrows take up the same space as three field tips, this rounds up though so if you only have one of that arrow it still takes up 2 spaces.
and so on and so forth.

Quote:
Field Tips: A normal wooden arrow with metal tip, travels at normal speed deals normal damage.
Cost: 4 for 5
Size:1:1

Quote:
Target Points: This arrow is thinner has no tip only sharpened wood. From a short bow it would barely penetrate an inch into a person at a distance however they are smaller and take up less space in the quiver.
Cost: 3 for 5
Size 2:1

Fishing Tip: Arrow with four thin metal fingers that jut out from the end and then point straight forward again. While it lacks penetration the wider profile means it’s far harder to simply dodge as the arrow head is now effectively three times as wide.
Cost: 6 for 5
Size: 1:1

Quote:
Blunt Tip: Instead of a normal arrow head there is a rectangular block of steel so the weapon deals blunt damage instead. Some of the shock can even travel through unpadded metal armour.
Cost: 5 for 5

Quote:
Broadhead: Large two edged tip, shaped like a leaf made of hardened and sharpened steel. This arrow cuts through the air and penetrates deeper than your normal Field Tip.
Cost: 4 for 3
Size:2:3

Quote:
Double Broadhead: Like the normal Broadhead arrow however the tip has to sets of edges set in a cross. This arrow has a greater chance of getting through the pesky armour your opponent might be wearing. The larger head does make it harder to fit into a quiver though.
Cost: 6 for 4
Size: 1:2

Quote:
Reverse Tip: This arrow is similar to the standard Broadhead in damage, however the head is shaped like a chevron with tips also pointing backwards, this means that after the arrow goes into the target it is harder to pull out, and will deal more damage if it is.

Quote:
Cruel Barb: Like the Reverse tip, however the arrow head is three inches with multiple sets of barbs pointing both forward and back. Once this arrow goes in it probably isn’t going to come back out without making a mess of things:
Size:1:2

Quote:
Exploding Arrow head: large conical arrowhead with flint and stone set into the very tip. When the arrow strike and the tip is pressed in the black powder set into the head ignites and explodes sending fragments several feet in all directions. The explosive power is small and the fragments will probably deal lacerations at best but the flash is bright, the bang is loud and if the shot is accurate enough the target might get burned by the initial blast.
Cost: 5 for 1
Size: 1:3

Quote:
Bola Arrow: An arrow with a 2 head bola wrapped around it, as the arrow flies the bola spins and unwraps from the arrow until it flies on its own. These bolas can easily wrap around limbs entangling them.
Cost: 5 for 2
Size: 2:3

Quote:
Smoke Bomb Arrow: An arrow with a fragile glass head filled with several chemicals in equally fragile containers, when the mixed on impact the release a thick smoke that take obscures vision in the area. Takes 3 posts to dissipate naturally.
Cost: 4 for 2

Flash Cracker: Arrow head with a head full of Magnesium powder that ignites on impact releasing a burst of bright blinding light.
Cost: 5 for 3

Quote:
Soft Tip: The first few inches of this arrow are made of a soft heavy metal designed to twist and warp after impact. Primarily designed to penetrate shields and then become next to impossible to remove weighing down the shield and making it harder to manoeuvre.
Size: 1:1

Quote:
Acid Arrow: Glass head full of a corrosive liquid, breaks upon impact. Burns skin and weakens metal armour, leather armour protects the best against this kind of attack.

Quote:
Flechette Arrow: A large arrow head that splits open after firing releasing a large number of tiny darts. Small in size they can’t penetrate any sort of metal armour, but there are a lot of them and they hurt on unprotected areas of the body.
Cost: 9 for 2
Size: 1:2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

I must argue that 30g is way too high. You can buy way more than you can carry in field tips right off the bat, and I think this gives them a much larger advantage over every other starting class. Because the Ranger arrows are supposed to be more damaging than regular arrows and give an advantage over a specific type of armor, etc. that would otherwise counter their class relatively harshly.

Perhaps instead of 30 we could give them 15? That way they have some variability if spent wisely but not too much where they can instantly counter most classes and armor. Kind of the same way we limit casters to specific trees, etc. and allow for them to branch out in the beginning but it won't let them become too powerful. We must also keep in mind that you can base specials off of these arrows making them even -more- powerful than originally thought.

For example:

Sludge arrow:
An arrow with a glass tip that is filled with a flammable sludge, like substance, shatters on impact and spreads over a small area of the body.
1:2
9 gold for 2

At the current amount of gold you could theoretically buy 4 of these (Not that I'm a mod that approved this but this is theory) giving you 4 chances to cover a small area in a flammable sludge. And then you could buy other arrows as well to combat fighters or berserkers or samurai or rogues, etc. And at the same time also build a weak special like this:

Flame Arrow:
[Insert Name] knocks a field-tip arrow in a separate mount on [x]'s bow with flint on it, so that when fired the arrow suddenly catches fire and soars through the air as a normal arrow would. The fire can cauterize the wound making it more difficult to remove the arrow or it can set things on fire. [3x, Weak]

Suddenly you also have 3 chances to set that area on fire.. I mean as it currently stands Tzyrk could destroy someone like this.. Or anyone else starting out who put a little thought into it. I think we should make it so that you are limited by the diversity so as to limit them starting off, because as all classes are, they should be weak at first, and have to build by winning battles and/or rp's and spending time developing the character. It's like WoW... if one class at Lvl 1 counters 4/5 classes.. suddenly Blizzard comes in and nerfs it so it only counters 2/5 or 1/5 classes.. You know?

Stop being the prisoner of your past, become the architect of your future.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

I sort of agree with dtknight, if only because of the balance between classes starting out.

The only class I really have good familiarity with is the Mage. Mages get less gold, less actual combat prowess, and have to pay to unlock new elements because they start with only one. I have actual potential to do damage for about six posts and then I'm only really capable to beating you with a big stick. I also have to deal with the stress system. I'm not trying to say mage starts extra weak or doesn't develop into one of the most powerful casters. Just using them to compare to this new revision.

This revision of the archer is capable of holding their own in combat, they start with more gold (albeit by one), and they have 30 gold just for buying arrows that in and of themselves can (sometimes) be considered weak specials. They could make actual specials that don't require arrows and instead focus on running away, and just be beastly (unless they can only make arrow based specials). I could spend all of my gold on arrows and all of my special/skill wins on skills that make me impossible to reach, and even if you do you'll be hard pressed to hit me.

Basically I like the idea but I think numbers need to be tweaked. Also I'm sure that mods wouldn't allow the class to be abused regardless, so however it turns out I'm sure we'll know if it's broken.