It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PATCH 2013
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 am 

Ok Patch Time...

I am attempting to create a master thread for looking at the Classes to see what needs looking at and what doesn't.
Simple format to post at the beginning with your more personal thoughts at the end.

Place the Class:
Where you think it sits on a scale of 1-10:. 1 Meaning complete rework. 10 being complete and doesn't need changing at all.
And finally if the above wasn't a 10 feel free to add a suggestion on how to fix it. I'll compile the results and work out an action plan from this 'survey'

Here's a list of the classes we aren't already working on for your convenience.

-Samurai
-Duelist
-Fighter
-Berserker
-Druid
-Shapeshifter
-Assassin
-Rogue
-Alchemist
-Monster Tamer
-Priest
-Mystic
-Wizard
-Mage
-Spiritualist
-Psionicist
-Summoner
-Animist
-Warlock

Post subject: Re: PATCH 2013
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Location: IN THE NAVY!! Yes you sail the seven seas! IN THE NAVY!! Yes you can put your mind at ease!
You mean I get to ramble about things I may or may not know about? Oh boy oh boy oh boy

...I actually feel a bit scared of giving my thoughts. I'm not experienced with many classes and how they "feel", and there being fewer members means my (maybe obscured) opinion carries more weight.

-Samurai: 7. There was the proposition of the "Iaido" class skill that wasn't ever really resolved. Have I brought this up before? Fuck, I've forgotten. Anyways, flourish is a bit "stale", and Iaido is probably something that would be more user-friendly to be creative with.
-Duelist: 9. I don't have much to say about them, probably because I don't know too much about them. Perhaps Counter Attack could be reworked into something more general-sounding (Gimmicks? Flourish&Counters?) that carries the connotations of not being limited to a single type of move.
-Fighter: 10. I believe they are fine.
-Berserker: 10. Same as Fighter. Both are well-defined and are pretty well balanced all the way through.
-Druid: 10. I don't think they need any addition. If anything, they almost have too -many- spells!
-Shapeshifter: ?. I don't know much about them, but they seem fine. A user just has to mind the amount of development they would need, but otherwise they aren't in need of revision or any changes.
-Assassin: 10.
-Rogue: 10.
-Alchemist: Are they not being addressed right now? I thought they were..
-Monster Tamer: 9. Perhaps the class page could use a rewrite to be more concise and organized. :X
-Priest: ?. 10? I'm not really sure how to approach this class. They seem fine.
-Mystic: 10
-Wizard: 10
-Mage: 10, but I thought they were being reworked, as well.
-Spiritualist: 10, I suppose.
-Psionicist: 10, I believe they are scary enough
-Summoner: ?. I'm not sure what their deal is. They seem fine and are actually really strong... Maybe they require a lot of RP experience to utilize properly, but most people that play them don't play them for long.
-Animist: 10. I don't see (or are aware of) anything that needs revision within them, as well.
-Warlock: 9. I remember someone a long time ago was wary of options for Powerful spells, though they have one for each respective tree -along- with Twilight. With that little bit in mind, I think everything else is fine, and even that doesn't need much attention.

leboyX wrote:
and then pounce on them. To make sure they know we're dead.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:23 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Place the Class:
Where you think it sits on a scale of 1-10:. 1 Meaning complete rework. 10 being complete and doesn't need changing at all.

Samurai: 8-9 (The flourishes could probably use a basic list (I.E. Concepts) Otherwise happy)

Duelist: 6 (I have a similar but more angry feeling to the applicability of "counter attacks") Building a duelist was a frustrating a daughting task. I know I labored at for a year XD

Fighter: 10

Berserker: 10

Druid: Deathjet left a lot of errata on there basic gear and this class still has some lack luster appeal to new players.

Shapeshifter: 10 Again still daunting to new users.

Assassin: 9 I'm a little fuzzy on these guys. It's been a while since we since one played so my criticism might be a little colored with time.

Rogue: 10 I wanna see more rogue's!!!!

Alchemist: I thought there was a rework for them going? Or am I losing it?

Monster Tamer: I just don't like these, I feel like there under early charters and their mid life characters are passable. there just money whore's IMO.

Priest: "Priest" has a funny connotation for me because i've always assessed them as support healers in everything else. (The way DI addresses priests isn't currently feasible in my honest opinion) (With the second mod maybe but, waiting on a mod during a battle with such a schizo login pattern doesn't sound pleasant) Props Musalis ;)

Mystic: Is wolf the only mystic I've ever seen? Yes, does his character work? Yes, Do I understand why? Not a damn clue. 10?

Wizard: There page needs to be cleaned but through and through 10

Mage: I know this is a rework, thank you ddr

Spiritualist: 10? I guess?

Psionicist: Again, the only example I have is Ein, GROSS!!!!! 10.

Summoner: Lets see, this is a druid or moster tamer - the sustainability - flavor + magic? (its an RP players wet dream... If you are completely devoted) 9-10

Animist: Aren't these basically DI's "necromancers" minus the whole blood magic? I see nothing wrong really just throwing my two cents in... 10

Warlock: Vius... stahp...(He makes me want to wet myself...without a master class) also 10
On that note: What happened to our Character set system we'd been discussing? The one where you have an active and auxiliary character. So I don't cry for three days before choosing a battle opponent...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Location: IN THE NAVY!! Yes you sail the seven seas! IN THE NAVY!! Yes you can put your mind at ease!
Monster Tamers are terrifying. With the attempt to make more classes gold-dependent, they are fine as the extremity of money whores, I believe. :P They are a pain to start off with, but get stronger by crazy intervals (having one pet to suddenly having two, or even three; upgrading a whip or pet; etc.). I believe their system is fine for now.

leboyX wrote:
and then pounce on them. To make sure they know we're dead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Samurai- 7-8 for the reasons said before me

Duelist: 10 Counter attack might be tricky since it easily delves into character controlling someone else. But that can be fixed before approval so np.

Fighter -10

Berserker - 10

Druid - 10 I see no problem with these.

Shapeshifter: My only reference is Nuncia and she does really well with her c

Assassin: 10 I really like the idea of the Critical, gives the class a fairly unique feel compared to anything else.

Rogue: 10 No issue

Monster Tamer: Their mechanics are fairly well written, thumbs up.

Priest: I actually don't see that much of an issue with waiting for a mod, especially since it adds a different "godly" flavor to everything.

Mystic: I am still on the line of deciding whether this class is spellcaster or agility, as far as the class itself goes, it works.

Wizard, Spiritualist Psionicist: 10

Summoner: They feel a bit as if they level up in geometric progression as they are, maybe let them start with summons that are a bit stronger but reduce the number of possible summons? I don't know. Aside from that, the initial soul shackle limit should be established together wit the starting items, about 20 for an average summoner might mean 12 for a starting summoner or something.

Animist: This I feel is perhaps the most broken class of DI. They are able to summon an undead elephant for a weak, even if it is brittle, that feels like a tad too much.

Warlock: Jodai is my frame of reference, Vius is quite interesting and well developed within his limit so props to him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Azazel wrote:
Psionicist: Again, the only example I have is Ein, GROSS!!!!! 10.

Have you ever felt as though something is watching you?

That prickling feeling on the back of your neck, making your hairs stand on end?

Careful.

Sometimes it only takes a whisper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:40 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

He's alive! But he seems somewhat... diminished....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 am 

Ghosts do exist...

Hmm the classes getting lower scores aren't the ones I thought would be. Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

While I do not think the priest class itself needs to be rewritten, there has been talk to rewrite the Gods. Or at least give DI a consistent general mythology. Currently, all the Gods have are names and a general area of influence (but they are Gods, so they can probably do anything they want to)

On the other hand, there also is something nice about getting to develop your God alongside your own character (or at least there would be, if any of the RPs I started for that purpose had gotten anywhere)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

I'm working on that, or at least I started.

I've created the framework for an overhaul of the Neutral pantheon of gods, since nobody seemed to be using them, and they lacked cohesion or framework.

As the only actual priest on the site, you and I could work together on the process of cementing how the gods function in DI...

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Azazel wrote:
Shapeshifter: 10 Again still daunting to new users.

Brilliantly Dark wrote:
Shapeshifter: My only reference is Nuncia and she does really well with her c

I, personally, as the resident SS of the place, think Shapeshifters are good as is. Ive lived through one edit already, and while this is the only character I have ever done (thats right, I chose the daunting SS for my first character, and I admit it was difficult to get into) I think there could be 'different directions' to take it.

Thus far, shifters are split into two categories; multi-form/low specials, or single form/high specials. What if we actually broke it up that way? Because I honestly think the hardest part of the shifter is that they are animals and it takes a lot of research at times to realize the full potential of the shifted form, as well as giving apt descriptions of their powers, and on top of that, it can be a pain in the butt to want an off-list animal and have to wait for a mod to get back to you.

So maybe setting up some sort of gradient system as to what would be considered weak/medium/strong animals, and maybe getting away from the beaten track of bears, wolves, and cats? I mean, where would a badger fit in that? What about a tapir?

So maybe setting up more examples (even if its an entirely other thread, and linked on the character build page) as well as maybe a divide in the class itself, one for multiforms and singular forms? Because the characters build at different rates, depending on which path you go, and I find that going multiform is a lot harder to go for beginners, with the low number of specials you can allocate to forms...

I just think breaking it up a bit would help make it less daunting? Single form shifters with uber specials would be easiest for beginners, but that doesnt mean they cant go to multiform later. I just know that personally I had a rough time figuring out what exactly I could do with all them specials I was given.

Just footnoting that shifters have a disadvantage towards people with weapons if they are going multiform as well. Thats the only real obstacle Ive had in winning any of my battles, was that if you have a flaming swordsman with flourishes and skills to boot, I am not biting that guy/gurl before I get smacked with that blazing glory. So yea... it takes a certain level of cunning to play an animal, I guess?

As for the rest of the classes, in my honest opinion, I have no freakin clue about them. Call me the resident Shifter Expert, because I really have tried to look at the others and they just werent my cup of tea. Then again, rending people limb from limb with animals is more my style anyways!

So yea. Thats my ranting. Sorry if its tldr, but yea...