It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pause - How to wait on someone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:21 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Recently, several of you (esp. LSS) have noted the rather single-threaded nature of our battles. What I mean is this: If you're "locked" in combat/RP with someone and they up and disappear for a while, there's no way to currently "pause". You either 1) Wait for person X to show or 2) Call the battle, collect your reward, and move on.

This is problematic b/c our members tend to come and go a bit more fluidly b/c of life events, work, school, etc. To fix this, let's try a "multi threaded" system for handling this (sorry for all the "threading" references - I'm a programmer, so I can't help but make the connection).

If you wish, you may "Pause" a reward-worthy event for some interval of time (we need to discuss how long). When it's paused, the event no longer counts as "active" and you may pursue other endeavors. If you wish to "Un-pause" the event (for instance, once your opponent returns), you may do as long as the "one active event" rule is met. If you're currently tied up in another reward-worthy endeavor, you must finish that event before going back to your old one. (This will prevent the rather easy abuse of this system whereby people could basically be in two reward-worthy things at once. Otherwise, they could just keep toggling the "pause" button back and forth on each one).

You may only have 1 "paused" active battle at a time. You may have only 1 "paused' active RP at a time. ("Active" here means reward-worthy). Special events & PQ's may not be paused (esp. b/c they're often run by mods).

What do you guys think? Sound about right? Too much at once? Completely out of left field?

Post subject: Re: Pause - How to wait on someone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I personally like the idea, as well as bringing up the possible nature of 'pause toggle' issues that may come up.

I think the only thing I would ask is if you cannot end a paused event for the reward so that you could continue the current thread?
So if the paused thread was left too long and I decide I dont want to wait for X person anymore, but I am active in another thread, can I end the paused thread? And would that allow me to possibly pause my active 2nd thread in lieu of beginning a new active 3rd thread (in the case that Y person goes on hiatus)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

That goes back to the only thing I didn't flesh out in the initial post - how long you can pause something. On the one hand, I suppose all participants could agree on a time frame. This would be most easily illustrated when someone goes on vacation or knows in advance they won't have reliable access to a computer.

But, the more likely scenario involves an unexpected absence. So, you can't depend on being able to agree on a good waiting period. If that is the case, some default time frame should be supplied (such as a month or 6 weeks or some such). After the quanta has expired, the still-present person is w/in their rights to "end" the event at their own convenience.

So, if you're still w/in the time limit, you can't end an event. You have to wait for as long as was agreed upon or is the default.

And yes, once a "paused" event has been ended, you're free to "pause" some other event and kick up another one. So long as you don't have two of the same type of event paused, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 am 

This is an obvious point but I will state it just so that it has been said.

When someone ups and vanishes you are free to pause it yourself without their consent.
However if both participants are both still active then both must consent to the pause, the duration of the pause and what happens to the reward at the end if it defaults. This also must be mod approved.

This will prevent someone from pausing an event just because something more interesting came along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I am cool to agree with this, if support is required to have this motion passed.

I know it would seriously help the few of us who are still sitting on our thumbs here for everyone else being in the middle of things...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

My suggestion with the whole subject of how long things can be paused for is a threefold system.

Firstly, if a person is going on vacation or thinks they will have sparse access to the internet/a computer for a defined period of time, both parties can agree to suspend any limit to how long it takes to post. The thread with the battle/RP would not be locked and it is not an official pause, as there is always the chance that the person on vacation may wish to post at some point during their hiatus. This is in essence just an agreement between two players, and does not require any mod input.

The second system is where someone disappears from the site entirely and without warning. At this point, their opponent can either call the battle when their opponent fails to post in time, or call for a mod to lock the thread and to post a timestamp for the start of a paused period. After this has been done, either the person will return and the battle will recommence, or one month will expire. At the end of that month, the battle remains paused, however, the person who paused the battle now has the option to call the battle ended in their favor at any time. Before this month has expired, the battle is in stasis and cannot be ended, but after that it's up to the pausing person whether they wish to wait or not.

This system allows people to have one single battle and one RP in hiatus as long as they wish, but what happens if their new battle partner suddenly disappears? In this case, the third situation arises. As above, the person whose partner has left may call for the thread to be briefly locked in an official pause. However, at the end of the one month grace period (or two weeks? Not sure about this one), one of the paused battles must either be called or resumed. At the same time, while the two battles are locked, the person who has paused the two battles simultaneously may not start any other event of the same type (ie. if two battles are paused, free to start an RP if otherwise able, but not another battle). In effect, the second paused event becomes the active battle for that player. In this case, of course, it is still possible to simply call the battle instead of asking for a pause to be put into effect, but this at least allows some time for AWOL people to return to potentially finish their fights.

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I would rather not entertain the "what if my [i]next/i] opponent suddenly goes AWOL". That's an infinite loop, basically, where you can keep spinning off paused battles. Of course, this is not likely to ever happen. I'm more comfortable allowing one paused and one active battle. If your 2nd-battle-opponent drops dead or something, you'll have to either burn the battle or just wait it out. There's no real need to pause the second battle. All it would do is lock you down and make you unable to end the battle if you get impatient. So, why give it a label?

In short, you can 1 paused battle. If your second battle dries up, it is callable at any time. It sounds like that what you're suggesting, and it does naturally flow from the pausing rules I've already outlined above.