It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Patch - The Heavens have Shifted
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:25 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Continuing with the overhaul of small things, allow me to present to you a potential new system for deities! I'll start off with some ideas about how/why gods exist and how their power manifests itself, and then move on to the lists of the major gods.

Right, so for forever and a day, our Deities page has been a cluttered and non-uniform page, with large holes missing in the areas that gods oversee and very oddly specific things being listed as the domain of major deities. As such, I have kept the idea of three different sets of gods, however, instead of "Good", "Neutral" and "Evil" gods, there are now the Pantheons of Life, Balance and Destruction. The idea is that the gods themselves do not fall into classifiable human categories of morality; for example, the god of plague isn't evil just because he is the lord of plagues, he just believes them to be a blessing rather than a curse, thus making his blessings destructive rather than lifegiving. While a god's followers themselves may be evil, and call upon the god's blessings in terrible ways, the actual gods themselves are far more interested in the wars in the heavens and the struggle for power up there than the moral implications of their actions on earth.

There are two systems by which a god can exist, and within them multiple divisions again, however the basic split is thus: One set of gods (the majority in fact) have their power set in a certain action, idea or thing, such as the element of fire, the idea of love or the action of bringing justice. Whenever that action is performed, that idea exemplified or that thing used/created, that god's power grows. However, to use this power, these gods need followers who are devoted to their action/idea/thing (hereafter referred to as a god's 'element') to channel their power through. Their followers do not give their deities power, they merely act as a conduit through which that deity's power can be used. These followers will usually end up giving their god power by being in tune with that god's element, using it and spreading it, and thus increasing its power, but their faith by itself does nothing for the strength of that god. On the other hand, there are gods who feed directly off their followers for their power, their faith in the existence of their god literally giving that god the ability to exist. These gods channel their power differently, as they can use the power that they have themselves, and manipulate the element they are associated with inherently, without needing followers to be there to channel their power.

The split between these two types of deities is named the Primal/Incidental split. Primal gods literally exist because their element exists. They prosper because their element prospers. Their followers believe in them because of the effects of their elements, and that belief of their followers shapes their forms and forms conduits for their power to manifest itself. All gods within the three Pantheons are Primal gods, and because of the almost global extent of their elements, the Primal gods tend to be almost exclusively the strongest. Incidental gods on the other hand usually have far more niche elements, ranging from pesky forest deities that arose originally as rumors and then became stories that people believed, to the god of thieves, who is rumored to walk among the wealthy unseen; every lost item attributed to the light hand of the childlike god of thievery. These gods can manifest themselves as they please, and can manifest themselves as beings in the material world, rather than needing to speak through their followers. While their followings are usually small, they are still gods, and can channel their followers strength in more liberal ways than the Primal gods.

Another key difference is that while Incidental gods can be wounded and killed if they manifest themselves, the Primal gods are linked intrinsically with their element. When it suffers, they suffer, as it heals, they heal. They cannot, however, be killed as long as their element exists anywhere within the world. They cannot be harmed save through the harm of their elements. Incidental gods on the other hand are free to be harmed as much as it is possible to do so, their forms dependent on the faith of their followers, which wanes as their form is damaged. Killing an Incidental is still immensely difficult, but it is hypothetically possible.

I'm sure I will have missed things in this rendition, ideas that I had and so on, but I can't remember then now, so this will have to do. A list of the Pantheons and their symbols I recommend is listed below. (I apologize for the art, I'm terribad with artsy things)

-------------------------------------
DESTRUCTION/ THE DESTRUCTIVE PANTHEON
-------------------------------------

Orthos: War (Blood)

Nurfylis: Pestilence (Gas)

Rastaphara: Famine (Wilted plants)

Pothra: Death (Darkness)

Aemulatis: Pride and Envy

Sytranis: Wrath and Impulsiveness

Belphegor: Sloth and Desire

Mammon: Greed and Gluttony

http://imgur.com/gUxGfri

-----------------------------
BALANCE/THE BALANCED PANTHEON
-----------------------------

Pyrakkha: Fire

Isgheath: Ice

Zoltan: Lightning

Ventaris: Wind

Jambor: Earth

Vacuss: Void

Wedaeld: Growth

Akvorhis: Water

http://imgur.com/rcoPGkX

------------------------
LIFE/THE LIVING PANTHEON
------------------------
Isham: Wisdom (Mind)

Cuzuco: Life (Light)

Aphronata: Love (Soul)

Keadilan: Justice (Strength)

Ochre: Fortitude and Sounds

Maniovus: Household and the Harvest

Kebeneth: Truth and Prudence

Myskinn: Temperance and Mercy

http://imgur.com/Gl4mMRj

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

Post subject: Re: Patch - The Heavens have Shifted
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

------------------------------------------
Sarcasm / The Most Awesome of Pantheons
------------------------------------------
Sarkasmos: Sarcasm

Okay, looks perfect now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

THis makes me feel like we now have Major/minor gods.. and that priests should be able to follow more than just one god. As a priest would be someone who is well practised in the religion of DI.. Or am I just going crazy?

Stop being the prisoner of your past, become the architect of your future.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:01 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

That's exactly right. Priests choose one god to be truly devoted to, and that is the god they pray to and spread the power of, but regular people would usually pray to one of the Pantheons rather than being totally devoted to a specific god.

And even in the old system there was space for minor gods, as people could invent their own deities if they wished

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves