It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Community building? IDK
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

I figure this was the best place for this post, given it's not technically DI related.

I dunno if it's just me out of the loop of community, but I've been here for just over four years now (oh my god has it seriously been that long?) and have come to kinda know a lot of you over my years here. However, it has occurred to me that I've never really talked to any of you in any sort of non-formal manner.

As such, I would like to propose an informal DI chatroom on, say, skype. Anyone else think this tentative idea holds merit?

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

Post subject: Re: Community building? IDK
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:28 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

That's an excellent idea! What about a Google hangout?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

I've never used it, but if you recommend it, I'm in...

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Location: IN THE NAVY!! Yes you sail the seven seas! IN THE NAVY!! Yes you can put your mind at ease!
I think there was an idea to have skype 1-on-1 interview type things between members at one point where I guess it'd be introducing themselves and asking real life questions as well as DI-related stuff. I guess something less formal than that would be awesome. :D Biggest barrier would be time zones of course, which was why the first plan recommended only two people partake at a time.

leboyX wrote:
and then pounce on them. To make sure they know we're dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:39 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Time zones are horrible, but I'm sure we'll survive. So, who's setting this up then? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:02 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I am definitely interested in getting to know you guys better, for sure!

I have skype, and Google+ but to be completely honest, I have no idea how to work Google much at all, except for its obvious search engine workings.

So if someone would like to get the ball rolling and then maybe explain how in the gourd I am supposed to join in, I think thatd be totally awesome?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

I've never been a huge fan of Skype, and installing the software, creating the accounting, managing the separate friends list, and then setting up group communication was either a pain or a mystery.

Google hangouts are basically Google's "chat" feature. The cool thing is, it supports group video chats w/ up to around 10 people. The only catch is you need a Gmail/Google+ account to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

leboyX wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of Skype, and installing the software, creating the accounting, managing the separate friends list, and then setting up group communication was either a pain or a mystery.

Google hangouts are basically Google's "chat" feature. The cool thing is, it supports group video chats w/ up to around 10 people. The only catch is you need a Gmail/Google+ account to use it.

I have the Google account (I like using Docs personally) but past that I have no idea how to use it. I have a hard time inviting my friend to Docs so we can do shared written projects as it is, not to mention figuring out how to add more people and find the chat things... it recently updated and I admit, I was lost for a good while on where my Doc buttons went...

Im not exactly program savvy with all these new fandagled thingamajiggers anymore, facebook still trips me up anytime I try to see what my mom is up to. I miss msn personally, at least that I knew how to work by the end of its long life...

So if someone could go onto skype when we do this thing, and give me a step by step walk through as we do the thing, so I can end up in the right place at th right time with people and not on the moon with a milkshake looking at tumblr then that would be super duper helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:23 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Google+ it is then? I just made an account. Now what? :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Invite me to chat w/ you: LeboyX@gmail.com.

I'll see the invite tonight (PST) and we'll see if we can do a preliminary connect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Sorry for double.

LSS, if you live in Australia, I may have inadvertently deleted your "add request" on G+. Could you re-send it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm 

Aah remember the days when we used to have the entire Di group in one big msn chat?

This is a good idea, but just be careful not to retract from the forum. We still want to fill it with posts of joyous active people

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:48 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

This is a good idea. We used to do msn conversations a lot - that was actually where I first met NTW. So I'm obviously a fan ;).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:52 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

LSS and I connected over G+ the other day w/o a hitch. I don't see why we could add a few more people for a group video chat as soon as we figure out a time that is agreeable for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:23 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

If we want a straight chat server Trillion, is just a big daddy version of MSN, or any of the other IM's... But I'm just as happy with this arrangement.