It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Graveyard Rendezvous (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

My writing will be much more mellow, here, than compared to a battle. Please try and keep the same tone.
Open to just about anyone who has completed a battle with their current character, just write up a post.

Please listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWAMPfPHmQ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ball Lightning, Orbs of Light, St. Elmo's Fire, Will o' the Wisps, Ghosts...

They come in many different names and forms... but they're all the same things. Souls of the lost, wandering this plane in a futile attempt to finally bring themselves to rest. They're trapped here, restless, because their death left them unfulfilled, their quest and goal in life uncomplete.

A loved one left waiting, a child left starving, a masterpiece uncomplete; there are billions of reasons as to why they can't rest... and it's a sad thing.

It was a graveyard, dominated by crumbling statues and forgotten epitaphs. The absence of grass here suggested that the place was well travelled, but the presence of age-old cobwebs sundered the idea completely. Like the psionicist himself, this cemetary was stuck somewhere between the past and present-- the sand clogging the center of the hourglass.

Glowing orbs floated above the tombstones. Too high in number to count, they hovered a few feet above the ground like swarms of fireflies. Each one represented a failure, in some form or fashion... and just standing there, one could feel the sorrow tug at one's emotional strings.

The feeling was more acute for the psionicist, however. Perhaps it was his unnatural abilities, or, maybe, it was the fact that he could relate to each of them so well. The ebb and flow of the souls seemed to focus around Ein; they swirled about the man like a tiny vortex and danced around his fingertips as he reached out to touch them.

"Will I join you?" He asked, unsure of whether he should expect an answer. "Will I be left unfulfilled as well?"

Post subject: Re: A Graveyard Rendezvous (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

His voice sounded from a dark shadow."I have a feeling you will, Ein." He kept his bleached eyes on the figure standing a fair distance away from him. Still, even at that distanc the figure could not be mistaken for anyone other than the master psionicist."I have a feeling that we all will. All, except me."

The drow really never liked graveyards. In a world where ghosts definitely existed, being a person that ended many, many lives and sent many bodies into the ground, a graveyard definitely wasn't the safest of all places. In fact, this was probably one of four graveyards that Drakol hadn't sent a body or two to, and he actually felt at relative ease here. Or at ease as one can feel when surrounded by the dancing spectres of the undead. He had been lingering on the edge for an hour or so, deciding whether to best his sinking spirits, or to give up and just go around. He didn't want to die by the hand of a ghost. Such was a death not suitable to one of his superior kind.

It was something that Drakol was beginning to accept now. He, being the impressive wizard that he was, still had fears like any other mortal. It felt strange fearing things : fire, flying, and now ghosts. Luckily he had never experienced the second, but the first and third were definitely common things in this world. How backwards it is. Perhaps, once I become a god, I will cease fearing.

Even if he was scared, he was able to master it quite easily. A fighting man needed to be able to do such things, otherwise he would have fallen early in his life.

Drakol rose from his dark shadow and strode across what he could only call 'scorched earth' toward the figure. The earth in his place looked sinister, like the spirits made it impossible for anything to grow or live as they unleashed their jealousy on anything living in their vicinity for more than a short span. It would explain why nobody inhabited the area near this graveyard. The spirits were upset, and prone to meanness if bothered for too long.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:39 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Somewhat startled, the blue-haired man turned to where he believed the sound came from. Glaring into the darkness, he saw nothing... but the tingling on the back of his neck suggested the presence of a person similar to himself.

"The Shadows speak here, I see... " He said quietly to himself.

Before Ein could call out, a figure laced in darkness stepped forward. The souls were perturbed then, startled like schools of fish-- darting backwards and forwards in a struggle to both escape and maintain their current flow. It seemed clear that this man's residence was unwelcome-- from both Ein and the souls of the damned.

His face was very different now than it was before; what was once contemplative and introspective was now cold and stern. There was no emotion in it, neither anger nor concern. A few steps brought him somewhat closer, in a mechanical fashion, to the shadow.

"You... I remember you..."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"I had hoped that you would, because I definitely remember you, Ein."

The dancing lights seemed to be disturbed by his presence now. It seemed that they hadn't detected his presence until now. "Funny that you choose the company of the spirits to the company of the living. I could say the same, but that would only be because I enjoy making the spirits rather than walking among them."

Drakol wasn't certain if the dancing lights could hear and understand his words or not. If they did, he wondered if they would come after him in anger. "From what I understand, you have a past similar to my present. You once killed by the masses as well. I suppose that makes us brothers of sorts. We're both users of magic, and we're both killers."

A smile crossed the drow's face as he thought about this fact. He was like a brother with the second most powerful magic user in the world, not something that the average person could lay claim to.

"So what brings you here anyway?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"From what I understand, you have a past similar to my present. You once killed by the masses as well. I suppose that makes us brothers of sorts. We're both users of magic, and we're both killers."

Although his expression didn't betray the fact, Drakol's words left a sour taste lingering in the psionicist's mouth. Brothers through blood-shed? No, that was a foolish and dangerous idea.

Ein had long since thrown those feelings away, left cursed with the memories of his youth and the stains of killing on his hands. He felt remorse for his actions... and he even pitied Drakol for the path he was beginning to tread. It was a path of self-destruction; it was suicide and maddness.

From what was seen, it was as if the orbs could NOT understand what the Dark Elf was saying. They reacted to raw emotion... and as a small amount of tension rose in the air, the balls of light began to form a large, ethereal vortex around the two.

"For peace, and quiet." There was a brief pause, Ein continuing to stare at the man. "What is it you want?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"I want to be a god, of course. What else could possibly raise me to the highest pinnacle of power?" Drakol watched the lights as he spoke. His words were laced with acid and a darker purpose that would soon be revealed. "Of course, this means that I would eventually need to kill you, but I don't plan on killing you yet. First I'd rather talk to you and get to know you better. You are second best after all, so I might as well learn while I can."

Drakol leaned against a nearby gravestone, its words long ago worn away, standing as a faceless testament to the buried one's ended life. "Tell me about yourself, Ein. What, aside from peace and quiet, made you seek out the spirits of the dead. Nothing is as simple as a desire for peace and quiet."

Drakol smirked, "You did something, didn't you. Something bad I bet. Tell me all about it, brother."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The psionicist's eyes narrowed towards the Dark Elf into a sharp glare. While the blue-haired man no longer cared about being the most powerful, the fact that his guest was aiming for godhood was proof that, indeed, Drakol was walking the path Ein once did.

In fact, in lieu of his retort for the death-threat, the spellcaster simply listened, aloof, as the wizard pressed him for information. Ein had questions of his own... but both of these men knew better than to spout off at the mouth...

Maybe.

For the moment, completely ignoring Drakol's questions, Ein asked his own:

"I don't fear death... but why are you interesting in becoming a god?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:31 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol smirked and laughed silently. It seemed that he had, judging by the glare that was suddenly shot his way, hit a nerve with his last statement. This piqued his interest even more, making what he was asking about even more interesting. It could be something that would be painful for the powerful psionicist to remember.

All the better.

"Oh no no no good Ein. Have you never heard of the phrase 'Tit for Tat'? This means that if I answer a question, you answer a question, and so on. That is how we will proceed. Now, if I remember correctly, I answered the last question. It's your turn now. You get to answer the next question, brother."

"What evil did you recently do, Brother?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Somehow, in some way, Ein's glare got even more sharp. And that didn't seem possible at first.

It was evident that Drakol saw this as a game. Judging from the contented, mocking smirk, the Wizard saw the blue-haired man as nothing more than a plaything.

"My question was relevant." Ein spoke calmly, albeit the gesture attenuated by the venom in his voice. "Each man has a drive, a reason for their goal. I look for peace and quiet for a moment to think and atone for my past."

It was unknown as to why Drakol wanted knowledge of Ein's past. Clearly, the Dark Elf didn't intend for the psionicist to live long... so the questioning seemed pointless.

Drakol was no fool, though. Was he looking for a weapon? A weakness, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"My question was relevant as well, Ein. And it seems that you're making an attempt to skirt the true answer to my question. I truly don't give a damn about why you're here. You already told me that. I want to know what recent evil it was that BROUGHT you here, Ein."

Drakol matched acid with acid. He enjoyed sparring with this human. He had control over himself, but he was still letting the drow know when he was pushing buttons; and that was the biggest mistake the human could possibly make in this situation. Ein's opponent was smart, and he knew that, so Drakol was surprised that he was letting so much show through.

Still, he was enjoying this game and actually went so far as to sit upon the headstone that he was currently leaning on.

"So... are you going to answer my question, or am I going to have to sit here for eternity. The difference between you and me, brother, is that I actually can wait an eternity, not like you."

Drakol crossed his arms, waiting for him to answer the question.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

The stoic mask broke.

However, not as one would expect it to: A spiteful smirk rose across Ein's face.

"You're haughty, like I was." The blue-haired man gave a soft chuckle, "I'm much older than I lead you to believe."

There was a brief pause and it seemed as if the orbs faded back into invisibility.

"I've killed, this you already know. No one recently, however-- I've cast that shadow away." For now, Ein decided to play along with Drakol's game. It was in both good humor and in civillity. "In truth, the 'Evil' you look for in me is gone-- lost, it was, when the Prime Evil of Torment was vanquished... ... Along with my wife. And unborn child."

Although they had never been TRULY married, the bonds that Ein and Sakura shared were more than enough to be considered as such. And, unbeknownst to Ein, and even J'ah, Sakura was pregnant when the psionicist finally let her soul rest. It was only in those few, brief moments when she retained her consciousness did he sense the glimmer of life within her belly... and, then, both were gone in a wave of psychic force.

"I killed them. While I freed them from J'ah's control... I killed them. And now I seek redemption for my deeds."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Drakol roared with laughter. His opponent had been foolish enough to kill his woman and his child. Drakol laughed even harder when he thought of the human seeking redemption for all of the killings that he had committed; including the murder of his own child.

"You murdered your own child? Hahaha! You really are an idiot. I mean... really. And here I was thinking that I was inferior to you. Clearly that is not the case." He did feel superior to the human now. Far more superior than he had before. He would keep this information in his library for later, not sure whether he would use it or not. More than anything, he just wanted to know things. He was a knowledge seeker above almost anything.

"Well, now that you've answered my question, I'll answer yours. I am interested in becoming a god because it will elevate me to the highest standing of power. You see, I seek power beyond anything else. The logical choice would be to climb the ladder into the heavens." To Drakol, it all seemed so simple.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:36 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

It burned.

Oh, did it burn.

Pacifist or not, there were certain buttons that one simply shouldn't push. And it took every ounce of willpower that Ein had to maintain his modicum of amenity towards the Drow. He silently, and secretly, balled his fists; so tightly, he did, that his fingernails began to cut into the flesh of his palms.

However, the psionicist didn't fail to get a prize of his own. He noted that the Dark Elf had an inferiority complex. And, more likely than not, it was said complex that drove him to seek out power.

With his anger mostly hidden, the blue-haired man continued to listen as his guest told his own story.

Indeed, the idea was fundamentally simple in thought... but in execution, it proved nigh-impossible.

"It's a fool's quest, I can tell you from experience." Ein shook his head some and crossed his arms within the sleeves of his robes, like a parent scolding a child.

"I, too, sought The Apotheosis. I wanted power over life and death, I wanted to bring back my Wife... and I had killed many good people in an attempt to claim it. It is yet another thing that I must atone for."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:12 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"And that is where you went wrong, brother. You killed seemingly at random. I've been killing very specific people to get to my goal. As I see it now, I'm only one step away from gaining the power to contest the gods. Unlike you, Brother, I will succeed." The drow looked thoughtful for a moment, thinking how he could continue to sting the human.

"You killed your wife and your own child, brother. You will not be atoned for your darkest sins until you die. It seems that the fates chose me to be your executioner so that you may die like the criminal you are. Still, today will not be that day."

Drakol's face became composed and serious. Lets see what he has to say to that...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:32 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

This man, Drakol... was insane.

While listening to the Drow's first words, the psionicist became somewhat intrigued as to what 'step' this man was preparing to take. No god would willingly give up their position, would they?

Glowering, Ein took in the wizard's words as fact, pondering them in his deepest subconscious. But, then, the conversation took a turn for the worse.

A threat.

No, a promise. A promise that Drakol would be a tool of judgement.

Hesitation was something that Ein had become acustomed to in his life, especially over things such as justice and revenge, good and evil. But there was one thing that he was certain of; now, more than ever.

"I told you... I have no fear of dying. But this life is no longer mine to live. I also have to live for Sakura and my child, who died for me. For the rest of my days, I've decided to risk my life for the people who survived the bloodletting of my youth." The blue-haired man spoke calmly, truthfully. His right hand uncrossed from his chest and brandished the demonic symbol on his right hand. "This is the atonement I've received from the last smile Sakura gave to me. That... is my promise to her."