It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Little Promises
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:22 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

"Here is money for that lunch I owed you. Sorry it took so long, I was a li'l busy."

"Aww, don't worry about it man, I appreciate it. It's not like I'm hurting for business or anything, but it is nice to know that a trouble maker like you is at least good for his word. I honestly didn't think you'd make it back to pay me, so I'm a little surprised. Others have always told me that it was tough to stay mad at you for too long, I think I may have to stop disagreeing with them now."

A few weeks had passed since Xander returned to diner in the port town he was in the day he had met Destruction. There were two people he had made promises to, and he wasn't the kind of guy to say something he didn't honestly mean. Unless it was to get someone riled up for a fight. Now he traveled alone in a forest, lost and bored, seeking the Sylvaan he owed a meal and a boat. Well, he had not actually claimed to owe her a boat, but it was the least he could do after getting her involved with Destruction.

But these promises required money, money that Xander didn't get from the bounty. He had failed to stop the man from getting to shore, and had definitely failed to kill or arrest him. It was to be expected; getting paid for failure when it came to catching criminals didn't happen. Indeed, he probably would have refused the pay if it was offered anyways. He walked in knowing he didn't earn a pay, and was hardly interested in arguing the bounty organizers verdict.

So instead he helped a weapon-smith as part time work. People had been borrowing money left,right, and centre, and a good deal of it was being spent towards combat goods. The smith couldn't keep up, and Xander needed the money. Now with a fair amount of gold, he made his way into the wilds to find an elf. He had absolutely no idea of where to go, nor even if she was in a forest. It was just a hopeful assumption based on her apparent race. Given her attitude before, he wasn't even sure if she would be friendly, or even want to make contact. It was likely she knew of his presence, or so he believed, and was equally likely as to attack, avoid, or greet. He tried to be alert to subtle movement that may suggest danger, but he was never really adept at such skills.

"Nuncia?"

Last edited by MyShipSails on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Little Promises
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

After the port fiasco, and her first time attempt at sea-faring, the Sylvan had sought refuge in the nearest wood, to rest her bones, and look for a meal, since her's had rudely been interrupted, vowing to never go near the sea again-- it was one thing to have the boat tip on you, but it was a completely other to be dumped out of your boat, have it stolen, and end up fighting a spiked bad ass that could thump her if he liked, blown up a ship, nearly drowned, saved by the same guy that stole her boat, and then fight on land with a new side of the same guy she was guessing, and have to flee the scene. One thing out of all that stuck in her mind as she watched the very man who had started her terrible day walk beneath her in the woods; he owes me dinner and a boat. He gave his word about dinner, but because of the serious problems she had to deal with after he stole her boat, she wanted the boat covered too.

Following him until he got further into the woods, she wondered if he was there to keep his word, or do something else unfavorable to her... She frowned as she watched the man attempt to track her, almost snickering at his attempts. The forest was hers, and she was its. Finally once she had followed above him for so long, he was deeper into the wood and seemingly about to give up, a single word came from him.

"Nuncia?"

She gave a grin and gently jumped out of the tree, the soft undergrowth cushioning her fall as she stood to face the mans back. She stood in a rather comfortable stance next to the tree, arms folded over her chest, kris still in her belt. It was almost the most non-threatening pose she could muster... but then again, no pose was any less dangerous with her skills. "Xander, how nice to see you again. Care to steal my boat this time, or were you looking for something else?" she asked him with a halfhearted sneer, her tone more playful than serious, but even then it had a contempt laced within. Seemed she had that contempt for everyone, no matter the circumstance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:24 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

He turned around quickly, happy to see his (for lack of a better word) friend. It was tough to pay someone back when they couldn't be contacted. Luckily, she hadn't strayed too far from the shore-side city after the events. It was better this way; he was prepared to pay for a dinner and a sea-craft. If she had gone unpaid, she could have shown up demanded reparations at a time when Xander was broke.

"I'll start off by informin' you that there is no way I'll apologize for what happened. We fought a man who very convincingly declared himself a force of nature by ourselves and are still around to talk about it. Look me in the eyes and tell me that isn't way better than catchin' fish. Nah, the only thing I'm sorry about is not leading us to victory."

A great smile overtook his faux seriousness. He couldn't help it, nor did he want to. He was genuienly relieved he had found this certain Sylvaan before he found her Kris or her animal weapons in him first. She had threatened to kill him before, and he had no way of knowing if she was the type to keep her word, regardless of circumstance.

"Besides, you know how serious that day was. Would you let an unsuspecting elf stop ya?"

A quick look over of her frame showed a lack of threat, which was hardly comforting knowing her ability to suddenly change shape into a Panda, but last time they met she had been very clear who was on her hate list as soon as they made it on.

"Not sun bathing today though huh. Its cloudy today ya know? Or do you normally just wear that? I guess trees and animals don't feel awkward about it, so neither will I. I suppose this is your home, and I'm not the kind of guy to walk into a home and start telling people how to live in it.

Anyways, I owe ya a meal, and I guess something that floats and can hold a person with fishing gear too. I know you turned down the meal last I offered, but things change. You up for it?
"

Last edited by MyShipSails on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:53 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Relief went over his expression as he turned his smile serious for a moment, replying to her obviously fairly friendly welcome considering she didn't welcome anyone anymore.

"I'll start off by informin' you that there is no way I'll apologize for what happened. We fought a man who very convincingly declared himself a force of nature by ourselves and are still around to talk about it. Look me in the eyes and tell me that isn't way better than catchin' fish. Nah, the only thing I'm sorry about is not leading us to victory."

She gave him a droll look, just as unimpressed about their failure as she was. She had been hoping for something out of that then her tail between her legs, but it couldnt be helped. Well it could have been, but not in the way he was thinking.

"Besides, you know how serious that day was. Would you let an unsuspecting elf stop ya?"

She snorted a little, "For the situation in my eyes, I could have easily left the port to its destruction which happened anyways-- and left the unsuspecting elf alone-- and not felt guilt or remorse. However, I have to admit the battle was fun while it lasted, if not a little aggravating for me. Ive been doing some training of sorts, and am pleased with my new abilities, but there's still so much more to do yet..."

It had felt like it had been a long time since she last saw the samurai, their first meeting anything but conversational. But this outward blunt welcome did sooth her nerves a bit; conversation was so much easier when it was to the point, rather than dancing around the topic. And now that the cat was out of the bag, so to say, she had to give the man props. He had a way about not apologizing for dumping her out of her stole-- rather borrowed boat, and yet he was seemingly happy about the fight that went on. She wasn't happy about the fact she couldn't finish it, but then again, almost drowning and then the port catching fire... She had a thing with fire, it didn't sit well with her. Other than that, she could agree with the regret of not finishing that battle, but nothing could have really been done about that freak fire.

Once again his smile returned as he relaxed a bit, giving her a quick look over, which after all the fights she had been in and all the people she had seen, she instantly tensed waiting for his disapproval of her attire, or some other remark that would most likely be just as blunt as anything else the man said. What did come out though was rather surprising to the Sylvan, if not a bit amusing.

"Not sun bathing today though huh. Its cloudy today ya know? Or do you normally just wear that? I guess trees and animals don't feel awkward about it, so neither will I. I suppose this is your home, and I'm not the kind of guy to walk into a home and start telling people how to live in it.

Anyways, I owe ya a meal, and I guess something that floats and can hold a person with fishing gear too. I know you turned down the meal last I offered, but things change. You up for it?"

She actually snickered a little, the sound rather rough, but the hand covering the mouth and the slight bend she gave making it obvious she was amused. Straightening up, she leaned against the tree, the tension out of her now that the obvious disapproval was abated for a seemingly carefree, if not oblivious way. Honestly, she was thankful for that at least.

"No, I'm not sun bathing, nor was I that day you stole my boat either. This is what i wore back in my realm, and I'm not changing myself just because people are squeamish about a bit of skin. And I agree, this is my home, and i get rather pissed when people start telling me what to do in my own home, so thank you for that bit of respect.

But yes, you do owe me a meal, and I happen to have missed my hunting for the day, so I am rather hungry. At the time I was more angry at the intrusion of my space, now I'm in my own element, I'm much less edgy. So how will this work, and what am i getting to eat?"

She was being amicable enough, though the edge in her voice that was ever present made her seem impatient more so in this case then angry. She was a little more than hungry, having not eaten in the past little bit since hunting seemed sparse in this wood. She had no idea how the man planned on feeding her, but as long as it didn't involve ports, towns or other people, shed be happy with it. Why she wanted the boat back was something she didn't even know, since where would she use it? But at the same time, it was only proper to repay what was borrowed and then destroyed; no matter how petty it was for a Sylvan to want a boat in the middle of the woods.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:01 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Had to do a few edits due to a timeline issue I created by claiming both only a few days had passed and a month passed. =(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Fight was pretty fun, wasn't it? I want to meet him again when I can actually stand toe to toe without aid, seems pretty far away though. And I haven't been doing so much as training as I have re-learning. My technique with my blade wasn't nearly as good in that fight as it is now, which seems to be right around where it was six years ago."

Her lighthearted laugher seemed to be caused by a release of tension. Normally Xander would ignore such observations, even if they were pretty easy to read. Many a times he had been wrong, and ended up saying something that ruined the conversation. After all, starting fights was a beloved past-time, and his social skills had seemingly twisted to accommodate his lifestyle even without him actively trying for such a goal.

This was different in that Nuncia seems actually pleased with his direct speech made him less concerned about accidentally setting her off. Its not like a fight would be a bad outcome of their meeting, but he came here with a goal, and he would prefer if his goals actually meant something.

"I don't remember saying or acting anything bad about your clothes last time I saw ya. Its not like I'ma change my opinion just 'cause nothing life-threatening or exciting is goin' on. Really, out of combat, clothes are just good for protecting us from the elements and lookin' good. And you already have those neat spots."

An issue arose though. She did want the meal, and he did find her(more or less). Though this was wanted, it was almost unexpected. In truth, he hadn't actually thought about what to do beyond this point. He had no specific food nor location planned, nor any particular plan that would lead to aqquiring a boat and fishing gear. Perhaps someone smarter could come up with a quick solution without letting on the lack of organization, but there was only a moment of quiet after her question. The fact that he had never asked a nearly naked elf to dinner before likely didn't worsen his situation, but the lack of experience was certainly blamed in his mind. The answer would be to stall so he can figure things out.

"Hmm, I was thinking... going to town for food. I've eaten at quite a few of the restaraunts there and had some pretty tasty meals. What'd ya say?"

It felt odd having those orange eyes on him waiting to get a decent answer and so obviously not getting one. He cast his eyes to the ground, but only enough to be looking at her feet so as to keep aware of her movements. He had figured she be the type who could get angry very easily and quickly, and wanted to keep an eye out for any signs such a switch would come.

"It's been awhile since I've done something I didn't really want to that actually took time out of my day like this so I may be a bit rough or something. Sorry?"

He rose his hand to the back of his head to scratch out an itch that was just a little behind his ear as he waited for her response.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:45 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She listened to him talk briefly of his training, and such, listening with passive interest considering she had no real idea what others did in their spare time; she just assumed their existence stopped once out of her world of trees, since out of sight out of mind worked well enough for her. But to hear one speak of training as a spare time activity... it made the corners of her ever-present frown lift a little. She had been on the lookout for the man from the port ever since they parted, listening to travelers tales and trying to get any information she could from others, but so far it'd been vague at best-- it didn't help that travelers now avoided woods more or less if they could help it, after the rumor was spread that dangerous creatures lived in them that tear men limb from limb... Even though her mind went on her own little bends, he continued the conversation, which was all fine for her, given that it had been a while since she had the chance to properly speak to people.

"I don't remember saying or acting anything bad about your clothes last time I saw ya. Its not like I'ma change my opinion just 'cause nothing life-threatening or exciting is goin' on. Really, out of combat, clothes are just good for protecting us from the elements and lookin' good. And you already have those neat spots."

She had to chuckle at that. It was such a... simple way of thinking that it actually pleased her to have someone not offended by her appearance, or even worse, like it a bit too much. She didn't think she was very good looking compared to the other elves she had seen, or even the other women of her tribe, but then again, she did live a wild life.

"You were of decent manners with my dress, even if you did think me sunbathing... But I do believe you are the first to compliment my markings... I don't know if i should be angry or happy or upset with that, but I will just accept it."

She watched his reactions as it came down to the idea of getting food, and his expression almost looked troubled. He may not have truly expected to find her so it may have been unplanned as for what exactly they would eat. She was about to sugest something when he spoke up after a bit of quiet. He turned his gaze a little, almost seemingly fearful of her response.

"Hmm, I was thinking... going to town for food. I've eaten at quite a few of the restaurants there and had some pretty tasty meals. What'd ya say? It's been awhile since I've done something I didn't really want to that actually took time out of my day like this so I may be a bit rough or something. Sorry?"

She watched him raise his hand to scratch an itch, though she knew he wouldnt have truly removed his eyecontact from her, since he had an idea of her disposition. However, at the mention of going into town, she felt a little ire come to the surface, but a few deep breaths, an honest effort put forth to stay calm, and she gave her head a small shake.

"I'm sorry, but towns and I don't mix. You can imagine everyone's responses to a Sylvan clad as I am going to a restaurant. It wouldn't go over well for me, you, or anyone who looked at me the wrong way. I don't do well with others. How are you at hunting, fishing, that sort of thing? I know where there's a good stream for fishing, since its spawning season in this area, as well as a herd of deer who have grazing grounds not far.... I would have done it myself, but I wasn't feeling up to chasing down a deer, so I was going for the fish... closer to after high sun is the best time, except sunset or early night or morn; worst time is high sun, and high moon. Some reason fish have odd schedules..."

Her tone was as level as she could make it, though after the suggestion of hunting instead she seemed to relax a little, awaiting a response since if neither of those worked then they both were a little stuck. He was being wary, and she was trying to cage in the beasts, though it was easy enough as long as towns or others weren't involved. She was a little tense now, mostly waiting for his response, her eyes staring at him for any indication of his thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:53 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

The unfamiliar awkwardness had vanished quickly. Xander stood a little more straight, and returned his gaze to the orange eyes of Nuncia. He had no longer recognized trying to keep his word as some sort of challenge that he had little experience with. Such an attitude did not sit well with the man; he greatly preferred to simply do rather then over-think things.

"Its been a real long time since I bothered catching my own food, but I think I would do pretty well with spearing some fish. You don't mind if I cut off a small branch do ya? I know some forest folk can be pretty sensitive to stuff like that."

The 'search' for a suitable branch to be cut and fashioned into a usable spear type of object was over the instant it began. In a direction not too far from the shapeshifter there was a healthy young tree that had a few lower laying branches that were about twice as long as an arm and only a little too thick to be wield-able. Some climbing would be required, but it didn't look overly difficult. A quick nod was pointed towards the branch Xander had in mind.

"Like that one there. Mind if I climb up and cut it off?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

"Its been a real long time since I bothered catching my own food, but I think I would do pretty well with spearing some fish. You don't mind if I cut off a small branch do ya? I know some forest folk can be pretty sensitive to stuff like that."

She looked to the branches he had in mind and had to at least give the man credit for picking a suitable tree so soon, and with a quick look back to the man, she gave a snort. "I don't mind, it's a good tree to use for such tasks. I would have been a little more upset if you chose badly, because then I d have no faith in your abilities to catch my dinner... and I'm still hungry." The flippant tone laced ever so slightly with a compliment was the best social response she could muster to that, the level of her abilities outside of lone travel apparent. The one thing that made her frown slightly was the fact he knew of 'forest folk' which she could only guess as Sylvaans...

She was going to ask if he had seen any others of her type out there, but quickly enough gave up on it-- if he hadn't then she'd become edgy, and if he had she wouldn't know what to do about it right this second.... if there was anything to do at all. There was two outcomes that she thought could happen if she ever met her own kind again; first being that they accept her and start a new tribe to take over the woods of this realm, or they could attempt to kill her on sight for being an exile. Both were a little uncomfortable for her, especially the latter of them, being as she wouldn't have all the advantage as she usually did in her home terrain, and her skills may not be very useful at all if they manage to trap her at all....

Giving her head a small shake, she managed to clear her head of such things and look to see what Xander had taken to doing while she had been off in her own world, wondering if his choice of branch would be as good as his choice of sapling...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

The confirmation of choice of branch and tree was followed by Xander walking briskly towards his target. There had been no branches quite low enough for him to reach, so the start of his climb would involve shimmying up a tree; something he had not done before. Thankfully, the tree was as healthy as it looked, owning a rather secure covering of bark that seemed reluctant to peel away from the tree. Unfamiliarly he stretched out his arms, and later, his legs, and began his short decent upward. He knew he did not look gracious or practiced, and it was likely Nuncia could have accomplished this with far more ease and efficiency, but asking her to exert herself would be defeating the point of giving her the meal he owed.

Left hand finally finding the branch near his target branch, he clamped down and slowly made his way over to where his right could also make meaningful contact. His caution would suggest fear of falling, but it was actually based in the want to not be climbing a tree longer than needed, and falling would only serve to force him to start over. After both his gloves were tightly supporting leaving the trunk, Xander pulled himself onto the branch. This was much more preferred over shimmying up farther and walking onto the branch; pulling himself up required much less focus and caution. Once getting his balance on the relatively small branch, he drew his Long Sword and quickly slashed downward at his goal, taking a few swings to fully dislodge it from its former home. Perhaps in days earlier this would have resulted in falling from the tree, but thanks to his recent improvements, his control over the blade had increased so that he did not accidentally de-balance himself by simply slashing downward at a slightly difficult angle. [Peerless]

"I may have not got around to saying anythin' to ya, but I was holding back in our fight against Destruction."

The branch groaned slightly as gravity took over, snapping the last few threads of wood that were holding it in place. It thudded when it collided with the forest floor, a thud that was echoed by Xander jumping down beside it after sheathing his blade.

"Not that I tried to. My body enjoys holding back a deal of my strength. I don't quite now when or why it releases its hold, but it seems to no matter the circumstances I face. I could be surrounded by a wall of pikes and not get an ounce, or I may be folding metal for some smith and get it all. I got about half of it on the port. Back in the day though, I had no such binds. Miss that. Mind if I borrow your dagger so I can carve this branch up?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:41 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She watched him shimmy up the tree almost awkwardly, her brow raising at why he was doing it such a.... tiresome way. Why he hadn't have chosen to climb the younger tree to the left a little bit and just walk over to the tree was beyond her. But then again, just by his actions she could tell he wasn't exactly a Sylvaan in the woods-- that being said, he at least managed to get up there in a decent amount of time without asking for assistance, and used the large sword he had to chop the branch down, earning him a shake of her head and a small chuckle as he managed the task. She took the paces to close the distance, looking at the branch he had managed to hack off as he prepared to jump down.

"I may have not got around to saying anythin' to ya, but I was holding back in our fight against Destruction."

With a heavy thud he landed just behind her as she bent slightly to inspect the hack job and the details of the branch, once again impressed with her own approval. She straightened up and looked to him as he continued.

"Not that I tried to. My body enjoys holding back a deal of my strength. I don't quite now when or why it releases its hold, but it seems to no matter the circumstances I face. I could be surrounded by a wall of pikes and not get an ounce, or I may be folding metal for some smith and get it all. I got about half of it on the port. Back in the day though, I had no such binds. Miss that."

She gave him a slightly confused look, trying to grasp the idea that a body could act on its own without the consent of the person themselves.... but then again, she did have a slight idea of it-- a quick few flashes of her very early experiences hunting when her body shifted into animals against her will.... She could grasp the idea at least, but his was very different then hers. Hers was simply solidifying her will to be stronger that the animals, and then merging the two instincts together; his seemed more like a blindfolded witchdoctor mixing powerful ingredients. If the impressive strength he showed at the port was only a portion of the total strength, then it could be hell to fight him if that cork ever came fully out. Then again, sh had a few new tricks up her own sleeves.

"I understand how that control could be missed... The first few times I shifted, I had little control over it at all. Even now, if a new spirit comes to me, I still have to work at gaining control over it, and then merging it with my own spirit. Each time, I miss that control... But at least its not my body doing it, but an alternative spirit within mine... And my losing control is very circumstantial.... so at least I know if I'm in over my head, I got an army of animals all roaring to go..."

"Mind if I borrow your dagger so I can carve this branch up?"

She gave a rather cocky half grin, about to draw out her dagger and get to work on that branch when he asked of it first, and with next to no thought at all for her safety, she held it out to him, the merging of the blade and hilt balancing in the palm of her hand.

"Go for it. Honestly, if you tried to shank me with it, I could tear you limb from limb now. I'm not worried about my little dagger in the wrong hands." The tone being used almost as cocky as her grin, yet at the same time as it was flippant it also had that slight threat she always had to her words; only this one was a little more pronounced. Basically saying Here's my dagger. I find it in my back, you will find yourself torn to pieces in a second in a round about way, yet blunt enough to not need the subtitles, she handed off her dagger and took a few steps so she wasn't in his way.

A quick look around for a second gave her a nice perch and with a quick few grabs and pulls, she was up in the tree with her legs dangling down swinging sightly as she was cradled between two branches, making a sort of hammock for herself as she watched with a clear view, the branches of this tree rather bare of leaves with the varying ages of the new and old trees around it. Resting her head back against her arms against the trunk to her back, she started to hum a song a little, mimicking the birds' songs around them and making her own tune out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

First post on my new computer!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slight confusion was evident on the Sylvaan's face as he explained his odd circumstance. He was used to it by now, as his explanation usually generated either confusion or disbelief. It wasn't a normal property to have a body that seemed to have a will of its own, rather than unnatural reflexes or some other improvement that required no effort nor active thought, his strength was deliberately held back until some hidden conditions were met. It was a current goal of his to figure out exactly what triggered the release of the locks his body had formed, and in his mind, the only reliable method was to get into fights and focus on inductive reasoning. Though that solution was only realized the night before, so progress had been nil. He wanted to start on it soon, but first he wanted to clear his debts. And as much as fighting for something other than fun or money was on his mind, the idea of asking, or starting, a fight with Nuncia hadn't crossed his mind at all until she mentioned the idea that he may be trying to steal her weapon to use it against her.

"Heh, like I would do something cowardly like that. If you and I are going to fight, you are going to be completely aware of that fact before the fun starts. Why would I come all the way out here just to kill you anyways? I don't remember you doin' anything to me that would provoke me like that. And I definitely wouldn't use a stupid little dagger thing to attack someone when I have a perfectly good Long Sword right here. But if your so confidant that you can take me, you're welcome to try. After I pay ya back. I wouldn't mind trying to wrestle with a panda today. Maybe it'l help me figure out how to speed up my locked strength thing."

He shook his head, trying to imagine what kind of person would go so far out of their way just to kill someone who was an unwilling partner only awhile ago. He doubted even the more sinister beings would do something so weird and horrible. No image was coming to mind, so he simply filled the space with a concept person that could be titled 'worst person ever' or something along the lines of a figure so easy to hate you already would if they existed.

Nuncia retreated onto a tree, practically mocking Xander with the ease in which she did so. The tree itself didn't have any notable differences to the one he struggled with a moment ago, and yet she moved up the thing and found a comfortable position seemingly as easy as taking a nap when one was tired. He could only imagine it was a show on purpose, but it did not really matter. If they were in a place he was familiar in and she was not, say a forge, the shoe would be on the other foot, and Xander thought of this rather than feeling poor about his prior efforts. Indeed, he obtained a suitable branch with only a moderate amount of awkwardness, which was better then he had thought he was going to do.

With provided room, he began the carving of the branch. It was going to be a quick job, as it only needed to be sharp enough to stab a fish and thin enough to be comfortable to hold, with enough sturdiness to withstand the inevitable misses. It would be kept long enough to not be usable in a single hand, but that was the size of weapon Xander was more comfortable with. Its not like Nuncia was going to be using it too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:36 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She looked down at him as he spoke to her, draping over the side branch of her perch to appear almost as a lazing cat in the tree, her foot swinging slightly as a tail of such a cat would.

"Heh, like I would do something cowardly like that. If you and I are going to fight, you are going to be completely aware of that fact before the fun starts. Why would I come all the way out here just to kill you anyways? I don't remember you doin' anything to me that would provoke me like that. And I definitely wouldn't use a stupid little dagger thing to attack someone when I have a perfectly good Long Sword right here. But if your so confidant that you can take me, you're welcome to try. After I pay ya back. I wouldn't mind trying to wrestle with a panda today. Maybe it'll help me figure out how to speed up my locked strength thing."

She gave a snort. "No one needs to be provoked to have ones death in mind; all creatures have the capacity to betray. I just cover my own ass by warning you, in case such a thought ever passed through your mind, seeing as how it has happened before enough times. And so you know, that 'stupid little dagger thing' was handed to me from my father before he left to the Otherworld's abyss to wander between life and death. Its not a matter of being a coward or not, but whether you take advantage of the openings provided. Everything is up to your perception of them. Plus, I don't think its the panda you have to worry about anymore, though it is a rather strong animal... so if we ever do manage to get into it sometime, you've been warned. Call that me being nice," she said, her tone almost spitting out the word 'nice' at the end. In her mind, she equivocated nice with tame, since she knew that this realm was very much more based off of the views of society, rather than what she felt was just plain common sense and necessity.

She watched the man chip away at the branch, making it much longer than she would have, though it was as simple as being proficient with either one hand or two hand weapons.... She decided to jump out of the tree and instead start moving towards the water a fair walk away, once she was confidant he was almost done with the cutting and shaping of his sharpened stick/staff.

"This way to the restaurant, where its 'all you can catch' spawn season~! Bring your sticks and daggers and lets get catchin' some dinner~!" she said with almost mock enthusiasm, mimicking vendors she had heard at the edges of towns, and merchants within the woods... It could be out of sheer boredom, but either way, it sounded hilarious coming from a rather gruff seeming Sylvan. She made sure he was following at least, stopping a couple of times to let him catch up, since the wood got thicker in places before the waters edges appeared between the trees

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Sorry about delay. I'm finding it a bit difficult to keep my enthusiasm in this. The lack of storyline or combat is making me rp in ways I never have before. Lol. As always, feel free to demand an edit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Awe miss, I keep forgetting you and I are still barely acquaintance. I've been getting called a Samurai for years, and I can see why. I'm not mentally capable of betrayin' someone without a situation so twisted I can't think straight. I have no want to see you bleed after you came with me to fight Destruction, staying after we saw his mist armor and stuff. I'd almost call you a friend after that even. No one else I know would get into a fight with a force of nature with me just cause I wanted to. "

He shrugged and thought about the rest of her message. Her viewpoint was slightly confusing to him. The idea that doing something he believed to be cowardly wasn't cowardly if you perceive it to be otherwise felt about as sensible as saying 'nasty tasting fish don't taste nasty if you think them tasty.' It wasn't so much the message that was bothering him, his own analogy helping him simplify her opinion enough that he could see where she was coming from, as it was tough to agree. To him, if people as a whole labelled a fish gross, the one who perceived otherwise no longer had a credible opinion. Perhaps it worked for them, but in general situations, their ideas were weird and unsettling. He wanted to argue about how clashing opinions worked, but he didn't come here to argue with an elf over stupid topics. So he just nodded and finished up the spear.

"Like I said, I've come a long way to being as good as I used to be. And if we do start a fight, I refuse to take it easy on you. You've been warned."

He grinned up at the woman as he finished the wooden weapon. He couldn't help it. She seemed to be really serious about the whole thing. His last line was said in such a way that she should pick up on him poking fun at her attitude. Her mock enthusiasm bothered him too. If she was really in that bitter a mood from him being around there was no point in paying her back. People who were happy to get repaid were typically just that -happy. If it was an attempt to lighten up he could barely tell. Or he could be reading her wrong. He did that quite often.

Completed spear held in his left arm while he held the kris in the same arm's grip, he ran to catch up to the Sylvaan. He had started the run immediately after she had stopped to allow a catch up period. The sound was obvious. He hardly had enough grace to stay on his feet during his dash, let alone the grace required to run silently. But that was fine. He hoped it would provoke her to turn her head once he got close. If she didn't think it an attack and freak out, he would place his free hand on her head, something less comfortable than normal given her height.

"Lighten up kiddo. I came here to feed you, not draw blood."

He let out a sincere smile as he stared into her pupils, trying to will her into believing him.

"Relax. It won't kill you to smile once in awhile. If your trying to keep up some image, I promise I won't tell anyone about how you aren't as bitter as you seem. Have your sentimental dagger back."

He extended his hand, hoping that her taking back her toy sized weapon would be some symbolic gesture of trust that he would only be able to pretend he completely understood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Its all good, just at least try for a once a week post...? Id hate to get completely out of this one out of boredom....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A friend? She pondered that for a moment, unsure as to why one fight could make him think they were friends, but then again it said a lot about his character, even though he explained quite a bit of it with his speech. He was a respectable person if anything, so she let her guard slip a little more, though always wary of treachery was her attitude base, so she didn't give him the full benefit of the doubt, but enough that she would relax a bit more.

"Like I said, I've come a long way to being as good as I used to be. And if we do start a fight, I refuse to take it easy on you. You've been warned."

She had to hand it to him, he had an odd sense of humour. Then again, the warning she took both in jest and in well meaning, so her mood improved a bit more, though for her it was a small improvement than her natural state.

He finished up the spear and dashed after her, sounding more like a bull through the woods if anything, making her almost smile-- she was confident that he was doing it less out of respect and more out of inability to be quiet, but it suited her just fine either way. She let him catch up to her, and when he did he gave out a smile that was directed straight for her;

"Lighten up kiddo. I came here to feed you, not draw blood. Relax. It won't kill you to smile once in awhile. If your trying to keep up some image, I promise I won't tell anyone about how you aren't as bitter as you seem. Have your sentimental dagger back."

The dagger being held out to her was one thing she took as a more believable sign than his smile, and took it back with a semblance of an awkward smile, showing she didn't do it often. It didnt last long, as if it hurt her face to make that expression, but she had at least tried.

"Look, one, I'm older than you are easily, so kiddo doesn't really work in this case. Two, no image to keep up, I am who i am, no masks, no covering it up. I'm honestly being nice to you right now, though I can understand how my nice isn't exactly welcoming in a sense. I don't do the whole people thing, and animals never show their teeth unless they are pissed, so smiling is something i don't tend to do on a regular basis unless i want a pack of wolves on my back. My attitude is one that I've had for many many years, possibly more than you've been alive for, so it will take more than a few minutes for me to 'lighten up', though I am doing the best I can with this. The last friend I had wasn't exactly straight in the head and she didn't last long after it all... so pardon my hesitancy to provoke another friendship, though i do appreciate your company for the time being... its like a break from constantly growling my way into or out of fights.... odd."

Her tone had softened slightly, though a semblance of uncertainty and hurt came from her remembering of her past friend, but she did at least sound a little less bitter, if not a little tired after the anger and hostility was out of her tone... Sometimes things like this reminded her too much of her lost friend, and for some reason it mellowed her out a little to find someone else who reminded her of that elf... and in other ways made her a little uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:20 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

She smiled. He could try and take it as one who is cautious or even paranoid and think her temporary break from what seemed like an ever present scowl was simply a game to make him drop whatever tension and suspicion he may have. It was in this exchange that he realised that she may, in fact, still be bitter from what he had been at least somewhat responsible for getting her into. Though he trusted this clearly unpractised emotion. She seemed smart enough; if she wanted revenge it would have been smarter to attack when she still had the element of surprise. She seemed like a type that would value survival more than honour, and even should she win a fair fight, a bad wound could still prevent her from managing the ever-present food situation he could only imagine a forest bound life would hold. So he dismissed these thoughts of betrayal not much sooner then they had surfaced, and would hold true to the words he just spoke about not drawing blood.

"I can't tell how old you elves are. You look young, and you don't really seem close to losing that...edge? that younger people have. And aren't you still young compared to elves? I think that makes me older, even if I haven't been around as long."

He wanted to elaborate on his response but was having a hard time forming the words. He didn't know her well enough to comment on maturity, and he knew even if he did he may not be able to claim he was more mature than her. Many of the people in his age bracket had been into the settling down and making a family business for some time now and didn't go around starting fights for amusement. As far as they were concerned, Xander had hardly qualified as a grown-up, claiming him reckless, without direction, good for nothing trouble-maker and thrill seeker. Maybe they were right. But the idea of putting away his sword and slowing down and raising a family didn't sit well. It sounded, compared to walking where the wind nudged and seeing the land and its warriors, dull. He tried it once before, slowing down and trying to be normal, but the fire of battle did not end. Perhaps the old men had lost their passion, but he was not willing to pour water on it just yet.

His voice echoed in his ears from what he had just said, his brain telling him he sounded dumb and needed to correct things. It was if the words would gradually ruin any sort of respect she may be holding towards him. He sounded soft, the small flecks of gravel normally dirtying his tone had been neglected when he was struggling with expressing his opinion. It was, of course, because the rugged noise was practised and false, so that he needed to think about portraying it, at least a little. This tone, his natural tone, was far too gentle sounding for the image he wanted. Nuncia may not claim to have such a thing, but he did. He cleared his throat, and returned to the deeper and rougher speech most heard from him.

"Heh. I know about losing friends. Here, I brought this for you, if you can read our language. Wrote it myself, a recording of what the historians are calling the False War Fiasco."

With some difficulty, his now Kris free hand fished around in his tanned leather shirt, which eventually produced a slim book that looked like it had seen better days. The spine was already damaged, and a variety of scratches decorated the bland cover. It would be a light read at most, probably not taking more than half an hour for someone with average literary abilities to complete. The penmanship was pretty rough too, legible, but clearly not that of a historian's. But Xander was a warrior and a partially retired weaponsmith, he didn't really need aesthetic fonts.

"It's not much, but I don't think the history people have any book on that event yet."

He began looking past the elf, though he wasn't looking at anything in particular. He just let his vision fade as his memories coloured his field of view as he continued speaking. He would sound 'soft' again, but he would fail to notice.

"She fought with a curved dagger in one hand and a rondell in the other. We were given chainmail to wear, or plate if he had proved to be valuable assets enough to warrant extra protection. But not her. She kept using the leather she came with, just regular old stuff like what I have on. I wanted to know why, thinking it must be for the flexibility and speed, not to mention the lack of fatigue. But nah. She said that wearing the skins of animals was the closest thing our leaders would let her get to looking like an animal in battle. She loved the feel of it on her skin too. We were given a range of weapons if we needed them too, but she kept to her little knives. I made fun of her for awhile, dressed up in a bit of plate and wielding a tachi as I was, but when I saw her in battle I understood. She loved being as close as possible to her enemies as she stole their lives from them, and she was vicious and unrelenting. I paid attention to her, and she got a few more kills than I that day. We started spending more time together after that, and we were known friends and a feared team on the field. I thought that she could be the one even. Funny then when she was killed in the surprise battle the day I was going to make a move. She had tripped some lug with a maul and was over him in a flash, tearing a stabbing without remorse or hesitation. Taken down by some stupid archer just like that.

So I guess I had a bit of a personal reason to ask you to join me on the ship that day and fight at my side. I guess I really like having reminders of those days, even if they sting. And I guess I had a reason to make you a promise of dinner too. But that was over six years ago. Today I need to focus on stabbing fish. Lead the way.
"