It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Little Promises
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 am 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

She held the small book in her hand, peering at the handwritten account. She had a basic knowledge of writing and reading, but she never stood still long enough to either practice or put it to use. Always wanting to hunt and prove herself, she had yelled at her instructor that she would never need such folly in the real world, and that writing and reading were for others and their ways, that the ways of the woods would be her ways. It had been a foreigner from another realm that had brought the books and charcoals, teaching the older of the councils of them, and in turn, passed it down to the youth. It was true she was still young for an elf-- only a century and a bit old-- yet even in her youth she was as stubborn as they came, even for a Sylvaan. It was strange how she had to eat her words staring at the scrawling words inside the book and trying to piece them together into sense. Half a page in she gave up closing the book as the man began to recount his misadventure, his story spoken much softer than his normal tone.

When he finished, she was staring at him in a way, having seen the story in her mind... She wasn't much of one for reading, but the stories her people told around the fires were much more intriguing to her than reading words on a page. By his story she could see the hurt in his eyes, though he covered it up at the last second by asking her to lead the way to dinner. Standing there a moment longer, she started towards the river, her pace slow enough that he could walk next to her.

"My friend was an elven woman I met a good handful of moons ago... I had been patrolling my new territory when I came across her tracks, and followed them to her. We had a small encounter, her ability to work with the earth sending me for a dip into the pond she had been facing; the fight ended with me getting a crossbow bolt at point blank through my shoulder while I was shifted. Needless to say it hurt like hell when I had to shift out, the bolt clear through and still in my shoulder. She seemed horrified by what she had done, and wanted to help me get help. I knew I wouldn't be able to mend it on my own at all, and it could cost me my life if it got infected, so I agreed hesitantly. We spoke the entire way to the village that wasn't too far off, but my wound was more than a scratch and was taxing me quite a bit... We were mentioning battles we had gotten into and she mentioned a man, Cerit, whom I had met only a handful of moons before that-- what I didn't know was that her hate for this man was more than enough to warrant me a threat. After searching me for a mark I never had, she calmed down, and resumed her aid for me. Guards found us while on patrol, and took us in, healing me a bit and taking her into custody for a crime I knew she hadn't committed; I know who had been in that wood during the time, and she had not been one of them. They separated us, but I couldn't let my debt go unpaid after hearing they were to sentence her to death for the crimes. So I broke her out of jail, and we were on the run. A psionist had been in the cell next to her, and while they were flushing us out with fire, we left him there to escape, his mind broken from his spells. When we thought we were safe, the crazed man snuck up on us... he incapacitated both of us at the same time and killed her with my dagger, leaving her there. As soon as I was free from his spell, he was free of his life. It was a short friendship, but one that I cherished more than my own family. We had fought next to each other with no fear of the others betrayal, freed each other from confinement, and in the end, I couldn't pay my debt fully. I buried her next to the tree where we first fought, and left the area. I haven't been back since, though I plan on going back that way to pay the guards a visit someday..."

Her tone had softened as well, though her lips thinned as she finished, a sigh escaping her as they continued to walk, the trees beginning to thin as the sounds of running water began to get closer. She had never told a soul about her story, not thinking anyone would listen, but after his story, she felt as if she should share something of herself to him as well. He had shown her a side he hid-- she had done the same. She held the book in her hand as they walked, taking longer strides to get ahead of him and setting up a perch on a rock at the waters edge, spawning fish swimming upstream visible in the shallow parts of the smooth pebbled riverbed. She settled herself down into a comfortable position against the rock and tree and reopened the book, attempting for a second time to read the scrawl, a test of her memory if anything.

"And so you know, I am quite young for an elf as you assumed, though over a lifetime for one of your kind.... In comparison, I am about twenty-and-four summers in your lifespan, if my estimations are correct, which is younger than you appear to be. As for the reading and writing, a foreigner, an emissary, had come to our land a long time ago, and had given us the basics of your language in both reading and writing, so I can at least make out most of it, though I admit I didn't give enough respect to the teachings as I should have. It may take me longer to read this than most, but I will do so. It's not often I have the chance to relax like this, after all," she said with another shadow of a smile... this one lasted a little longer than the last, though it too faded.

She was thus far impressed by the man, what with his respect and his character, and even thinking to bring her a gift, even if it was one that she would not have expected... It was nice. Almost too nice. But she refused to let her suspicions get in the way of this day. He had been anything but aggressive or disrespectful to her, so she would continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. Though her doubt was now concerned about whether or not he could actually spear a fish with that makeshift stick... it didn't look like something a swordsman would use so easily without training beforehand, and fishing itself was an art more so than a skill. It took her years to perfect the strikes to land her meals, and even then she was prone to missing at times. Even so, she watched him over the top of the book, seeing how he managed this feat.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:18 pm 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

Two months >.> Wow. And its probably not even good. Lol, sorry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xander listened intently to the story as the two made their way to the fishing location, more so then he usually paid attention to a story that didn't involve glory or war. At the end, he decided that the unusual treatment of the story was likely caused by the theme of sacrifice, even if it was not intentional. Or perhaps, being out in the middle of nowhere made the story teller more interesting. Certainly wasn't much else to pay attention to. The man didn't even really have any plans for what to do after he paid back his debt, so thoughts of the near future were silent too.

While she was confirming her relative youth, something troubled the Samurai. His mind started grating against itself, but far from being a headache. He was attempting to remember something but was very unsure what or why. It was just a feeling, like something should be clicking and falling into place, but was failing to do so. He stood still and looked upwards, letting his eyes glide across the few clouds that managed to find a way through the canopy.

"Huh. You know, when I was on my way here to find you, I ran into a few armed guys. I wanted a quick clash before I continued, but they were too busy doing whatever. Said they were pulling out of the forest, that elves were to blame. If they were the same guys, you may have to do a bit of a search to get revenge. Maybe that fire got 'em all scared for some reason."

He shook his head and continued onward, speaking again when he was at the edge of the water.

"There was some other garbage too. A warning or something. I kinda stopped listening after they shot my request down."

He looked into the waters that would soon be the source of a dinner, though he wasn't sure if the fire should be made first or second. He figured Nuncia would have been eager to tell him he was wrong if he started doing something wrong though, so he didn't concern himself with thoughts of fire. Many of the spots of colour seemed to avoid the reachable edge, likely because the water at the edge seemed incredibly shallow. Xander quickly decided it would be much more time effective to get a little wet then wait for a very small fish to come close enough to stab, so he began walking in the very chilly water.

The first few stabs were failures. It was his first time fishing, spear or no, and was not familiar with how water bent light, nor with the quick reflexes of healthy fish. The attacks were fast and perfectly precise though, and it was only moments before he made the adjustments to compensate for the alien conditions. The first catch was perfect, and the second came on the very next attempt. So sure he was of himself he didn't even remove the first fish from the 'spear', instead letting the fish pile up.

He grinned like a child when he looked up, searching for a face of approval. A tree nearby would serve as the final part of the fishing exercise, he thought, and threw the fish-spear hard enough that it stayed in the tree, the fish still flopping slightly.

"I got a bunch of splinters from doing that. Five at least. Do you know any crafty elvish ways to get rid of 'em?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

As they got to the shoreline, he was speaking of the soldiers he had found. The news that they were pulling out was both a happy point and a sad one; as Xander said, she would have to hunt them if they left. His relay of their worries made a slight smile turn her lips, a slight feeling of pride coming in. She had been pestering them and killing them off slowly over a large amount of time, and the fact that her geurilla tactics were working in such a manner made that smile grow a little more. He even mentioned a warning, but as he dismissed it, so did she. Their warnings were nothing but dribble. Her's were true warnings and threats. Soon enough, he was analyzing the water, debating over something before deciding to just fish, which suited her fine. What he could have been deliberating so hard about, she wouldn't have been able to guess.

Watching the man fish with that spear had to have been the most hilarious thing she had ever seen-- even with the considerable catch he managed. He stabbed over and over into the water, seemingly at random at first, though given that he didn't know the ways of the water, it was to be expected. Then after realizing what he was missing, he managed to stab a good sized one, and another right after. After he caught a few, a quick throw into the tree and the fish-stick was finished. He looked up at her obviously looking for some praise, and with the slightly amused smile she had on was about as praising as she could get. She got up off her rock and inspected the fish-stick, wondering if he wanted the stick back or not, since she could easily snap it to get the fish. Pulling them off would give them splinters and cook them unevenly, if you cooked them that is.

He came out of the water and if she wasnt amused before hand she was now; "I got a bunch of splinters from doing that. Five at least. Do you know any crafty elvish ways to get rid of 'em?" She couldn't help it, she had to laugh now. It was still a harsh noise, not a gentle tinkling of nicer elvin laughter, but the harsh laughter of a true hunter. After she settled herself out for a moment, the smile still on her face, she looked straight at him.

"No crafty elvish ways to get rid of them, but I do know how to get them quick and sure. You'll have to trust me with a knife though," she said with her smile still set. She pulled her kris out of her belt and held it by the blade so her grip was closer to the tip, holding it much like a pen. "Don't worry, it will only hurt a little, and I'll even give you back your hand!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:07 am 
No secrets for me in MW
No secrets for me in MW

/thend/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

3 gold. :D