It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Donarium (Kattaklysm & Musalis)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:42 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

It is said that the Gods, old and new, sit upon a realm not in any direction from mortal sight. That is, of course, except for simply ‘up.’ As such, it is not uncommon to see priests scale mountains, braving freezing blizzard and little food on their quest to reach the peak of holy places. It is said, also, that upon one mountain in the world of Darkness Incarnate is, of course, Mount Grite. One of the highest points in the world, hosting a holy temple to the Gods. Strange as it was, this temple was not built for one God or Goddess in particular, but all. None know anymore who built this place, the race that created it having fallen from grace by either death or simple fading in legend.

It was upon this mountain, to this holy place that the priest walked. His bones, coated in the black flames that had become legend in his homeland, crunched in the snow of the frozen peak. An arctic wind blew. Nothing dared come close to the priest of a shattered existence. He sighed and stopped for a moment. He had little left to go to reach the temple. A sight that he had never seen – and yet, something he felt so familiar with. He could see the stone steps in the frozen distance, snow obscuring the world below and above. He shouldered his pack, the leather unaffected by the burning flame upon him – a taunt from Orthos, no doubt. The flames could burn nothing yet, and for that he was glad – at least he didn’t have to worry about burning down taverns when he went in for a place to rest for the night.

Once more, he climbed. Snow crunched underfoot, leaving a sort of imprint, the bony feet of a human priest long dead. He reached the steps, their stones frozen over by ice, though they seemed to be laced with some sort of magic. Kattaklysm set back the hood on his traveler’s cloak. A pair of torches, set in stone and running up the staircase to the temple doors lay dormant. He drew the dagger he kept at his side, as well as a small flint. Striking the dagger with it, he lit one torch, then the other, and sheathed the dagger. The flames seemed to leap from the torches into the stairs, the flames lighting the path up the case and into the temple.

Kattaklysm walked once more. He stepped on icy perch after icy perch, hundreds, until he found it. The grand door – wooden, strangely, yet homely. It radiated warmth, yet Kattaklysm felt it not, for he had lost feeling for such things so long ago. It was silent, save for the strike of Slaughterbane upon the lock of the door. He opened the doors, and walked inside, closing them behind him.

It was silent, as though possessed by the Gods themselves. He set his weapon down upon the ground to the side, his dagger with it. There was no need for weapons in such a place, even for a priest of Slaughter. He walked forward to the altar, made of every stone ever known, from ruby to obsidian. Ancient power coursed through it, yet it was something no priest would dare touch, save for offerings for their gods. Kattaklysm took to one knee.

”Death suits you,” he spoke. He knew he was not alone, someone else was there, in the temple, on the mountain, somewhere. He did not need fear – he was protected, as were they. The Gods would not allow fighting in this place.

Post subject: Re: Donarium (Kattaklysm & Musalis)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Her voice made no sound. Due to the nature of this temple, her prayer simply ignored the physical world, and went straight to the level of souls and Gods. The skeleton priestess shivered as she felt her prayer returning to her, reflected by the walls and interfering with itself to create even more beautiful melodies. Musalis stood and listened in awe, listened with her very soul. Then saw the right moment to start singing again, the moment where it would be in harmony with the rest.

Time lost it meaning. There was only music. And it was all dedicated to Ochre. For no matter how beautiful the sounds Musalis produced, how intricate the melodies, who they touched your very soul, it didn't compare to even one note sung by her God.

And then the harmony was broken. The sudden lack of integrity somehow made the entire prayer vanish as if on command. Musalis stood dazed for some time, trying to adjust to the real world, when she just moments prior had lived in one of soul and prayer.

”Death suits you,”, a voice said. Musalis realized what had happened. Someone had come in. Opening the door had broken the power of the temple to hold on to her prayer, and resonate it back to her over and over again. Oh well. She had almost been done praying anyway. It wasn't as if paying homage to your God was anything important... her thoughts were dripping with irony, but before she could formulate an appropriately biting response, her mind calmed. That too was part of the temples power. In calmed your mind in moments. Musalis welcomed the calmness. This really wasn't a place to fight. Well, you probably couldn't even fight here, before you started the Gods would likely interfere.

Musalis stood up from the prayercarpet, and walked down the stairs. They were colored in such a way that they were almost invisible if you didn't know that they were there. It was a precaution. The prayer room upstairs where she had been allowed instant access to your God. And when this place was shown to new acolytes, to put them in awe of the Gods, you didn't want them to start talking directly to those Gods. New acolytes had an amazing talent for saying inappropriate things.

Once she was down, Musalis carefully studied the newcomer. Not a priest of Ochre, she was pretty sure. Aside from that... well, Musalis hadn't had time to study other religions in depth, so that was usual when following Ochre. It was just that when she was supposed to start those studies, her temple had been burned down. So Musalis decided just to go with a general greeting, instead of embarrassing herself with guessing on a wrong God the other person was following.

"Welcome to The Temple.", she said, "I am Musalis, priestess of Ochre. May the Gods look kindly upon you."

She ended the greeting with a slight curtsy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:20 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

”Welcome to The Temple,” spoke the priestess. "I am Musalis, priestess of Ochre. May the Gods look kindly upon you." A priestess of the Deity of Music. Intriguing.

Kattaklysm bowed in response to the other’s curtsy. ”I see,” he spoke, closing the large doors behind him. To this, his voice changed, clearly evil, but not menacing, as the temple would not allow hostile words to pass. ”I go by Kattaklysm, Musalis. I am a priest of Orthos. May the Lord of Slaughter be with you.”

He bowed again, deeper than before, honoring the priestess before him. His flaming figure seemed to cast shadows into the temple, yet at the same time, they were eaten from the stone of the temple. ’Interesting,’ he thought, ’that even in the presence of evil...interesting.’ The priest drew out his bible, a dark leather-bound tome, weather-worn from ages of time spent crossing the seas to Darkness Incarnate, the pages yellowed and the ink running slightly from the abuse of time.

”Allow me to read you a passage, Musalis. It is the word of my god, in regards to other priests and priestesses.” He flipped a few pages, coming upon the page he looked for. ”Chapter XI, Passage IV. Those who walk a path unlike mine shall perish. Those who walk a path of a god other than me, shall be forever damned in my eyes. Slaughter them, and let their souls come unto me. Normally, this would hold true. To other priests. He closed the bible, and slid it back into its pouch, drawing out now a scroll.

”However, it is in my home that I cannot honor this.” He unfurled the scroll, and read, ”Those of holy origin, be it of thy god or not, shall live. They honor a power beyond yourself.” He rolled the scroll back up, sealing it with a red ribbon. He then tossed it to the priestess. ”Keep it safe. You shall need it one day, I can tell. But for now, it is a time of peace.” He shook some of the already melting snow from his shoulders.

”Now. I suppose it is a time of prayer, yes?”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

Musalis listened and wondered what she was supposed to think. Normally, she would have taken distance from any notion of slaughter. Though she from time to time had to fight for various reasons, pure slaughter was... unpure. Evil. Something Musalis didn't like associating with. On the other hand, Drakol was evil too. And she liked associating with him. So the problem wasn't evil itself - or was it?

But it didn't matter who was good and who was evil - not here. In this temple, there was something more. Not evil, not good, but both, acting in harmony. There was wholeness here, a wholeness that probably couldn't even exist in the rest of the world. A haven against the endless battles of opposites.

So she took the scroll grateful, and even smiled - at least mentally. But it wouldn't surprise her if Kattaklysm could feel her smile in this place even though he could not see it.

"Before we pray, I too would like a passage read from my bible. It is one of the few passages that are not written in songform. That is because it comes from a time when there was no song. There didn't need to be, for all language was like music in those days.", Musalis said, a voice trailing through the air like that music long lost, "Cindy, if you please? The passage about Orthos?"

Cindy, too was different in here. Very much so; possibly because she was a bible she was that much affected. She wasn't annoying, for instance. Instead, the bible had gained a gentle kindness and almost wisdom. As Musalis finished Cindy started to glow in the corner where she had been laid.

"For in those days, Ochre and Orthos were brothers. They walked together, they talked together; for they were close. And they both were in love with the Goddess Lilian. But so that this love would not come between they, they did not act on it. This was the time before the Gods had gotten an influence that was only theirs, and all Gods were alike. But as times changed, the Gods found parts of creation which they took liking to, and which they called their own.

But Ochre and Orthos wouldn't join the other Gods, for it would split the close bond they had. But little by little the creation was cut off from them as other Gods claimed parts as their area. And they became afraid that they might loose everything and have no powers left at all; for without powers they would surely die. But for the sake of their friendship they endured.

Then Lilian became the goddess of Death, a part of creation which Ochre had always seen as magnificent. Ochre's love for Lilian grow manyfold, and he went to her. And she shared his feelings. But Orthos saw the two of them together, and he sank to the ground in sorrow.

'Brother, my brother, why have tho forsaken me?', he said. But then from the sorrow grew rage, 'If I cannot have her, noone will.'

And Orthos forged his swords, one from his rage, and one form his sorrow. And Rage could cut any living being. But Sorrow was a sword that could cut even Gods. And if his rage he killed Lilian, and all her followers. Ochre came too late to stop him. When he saw what his brother had done, he averted his gaze.

'Brother, my brother, what have you done? With your actions you have not only killed our love, but doomed yourself. For you have taken to slaughtering, and cannot change that. Forever must you be a God of slaughter.'"

"Now, let us pray.", Musalis said, and bowed her head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:09 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

The priest of slaughter nodded.

”It would seem that the gods can be cruel, no?” He shook his head in a bit of disappointment. His god, Orthos...the past of Orthos was never really revealled to his followers. It made Kattaklysm a bit left out, that his god wouldn’t share his past.

It was probably to make Orthos seem stronger, yet...it was a mixture of feelings in the entire ordeal. The black flames seemed to quell a little, as if in exhaustion. The blue flames that were his eyes extinguished, as if he were closing his eyes, and he bowed his head.

”Gods of Old, Gods of New, I, Kattaklysm, call upon thee. I ask that thou give me a means to speak with my god, Orthos, God of the Slaughter, and show me the ancient path to his words. I request this to speak on many items, most specifically on the world at large, and the battles I have faced.”

The priest opened his eyes, and saw the other priest.

”Furthermore, O Gods of All, If thou couldst, allow me to speak with my god on his past, and the great ancient might that has come from it.”

His eyes opened fully and he raised his head. He moved himself over to a pedistal in a corner of the large room, the room itself a sort of many-pointed star. The corner Kattaklysm himself moved to was a point created of Bloodstone.

Solid black rock, red veins coursing through the walls, the floor, the ceiling. In the point, there was an obsidian pedistal, a basin of sorts. The basin itself was over a small fire, as though keeping the liquid inside warm. In fact that was the exact reason for it, for without it, the blood would coagulate. The priest dipped his hands into the blood, shaking the blood off, and then reached two fingers into the blood, drawing the symbol of Orthos into his forehead, the fire around his body sizzling the blood up and causing it to evaporate.

The blood itself was an offering, a sacrifice to his god. The blood rose in a scarlet cloud, caressing the red veins on the ceiling, their red lighting up slightly before letting out a sigh of power. ”It has been seen.” An ancient language, unheard of by any who did not follow, or at least study intensely, Orthos and his godhood.

Silence permeated the hall, as he awaited the priestess to finish her prayer, perform her rites, and go into the hall above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 pm 
Can't wait for MWO
Can't wait for MWO

It would seem that the gods can be cruel.

It was an odd comment, coming from someone who followed a God of Slaughter, Musalis thought. But still, the comment raised an interesting point.

Musalis almost smiled, thinking back to the time when she had asked almost the same question, when she was still living peacefully at the Temple, not traveling around the world trying to find out who was killing all of Ochres' followers. Of course, smiling with a skull wasn't easy. Memories flooded in...

The Past wrote:
"According to this, it seems that the Gods were cruel.", said Musalis, only a few weeks old. She had been studying the older parts of scrips belonging to the lore of Ochre.

"Indeed, so it seems.", said Tiberus, the monk who was her mentor in this subject, "But what is the problem with that?"

"It's not just cruelty. Many other emotions too. It seems so... so... mortal.", Musalis said, "Yes, that's a good word to describe it. It seems like things we here could have felt or done. As if the Gods were like us."

"Ah, but it is the other way.", Tiberus smiled kindly.

"I'm not sure I follow..."

"They are not like us; we are like Them.", Tiberus explained, "You see, mortals were made in the God's image. Therefore, we are similar to them."

"But, if they are similar to them, why do we worship them?", Musalis pressed on.

"Well, to answer that, let me ask you another question. Why do honor our elders? Simply because of age?"

"No?", Musalis said, assuming that he wouldn't have asked if the answer was yes, "I suppose... with a large age, they are... wise, or something like that."

"Indeed. We honor our elders not for their age, but for the knowledge, wisdom and skill they have learnt in their long lives. As for the Gods... how long do you think they have lived?"

"Aeons...", Musalis whispered as understanding dawned.

"Yes.", Tiberus said, "If you ever hear Ochre speak, you will understand. Even his normal speech is more musical than anything we mortals could sing or play on instruments."

True, usually she was just worshipping Ochre without thinking about why very much. But still it was nice to know that there were reasons somewhere. For having gone through doubt only strengthened the belief.

But it seemed that other priests had different ideas. This was interesting, and Musalis was fascinated. She hadn't met priests of other Gods before, so she had just assumed they were all sort of the same. Now it showed they weren't. Kattaklysm for instance didn't know of his God's past, which seemed... weird, for her. Didn't you have to know your God to serve him well? And wasn't the past what had formed even Gods?

And then there was... the prayer. To pray to Ochre, you sang. That was all. So Musalis had a rather limited idea of what 'rites' were. They had been mentioned in her Bible, upon encountering priests of other Gods. But Musalis had mentally written those to be things that had happened long ago. And yet... it was at once clear that Kattaklysm couldn't pray in the same way she did. His was the God of Slaughter, and she couldn't imagine him going around and slaughter all the time. Sure, he probably did so from time to time (though Musalis would rather not think about that). But slaughter was just something you couldn't do as easily as singing, which you could basically everywhere and anytime.

So there had to be something else, something that... symbolized... something. In this case, it probably symbolized slaughtering something. Rites.

It was really fascinating.

And so it took her a moment to notice that Kattaklysm looked expectantly at her. Right, she was also to pray. Now, the question was, what song? Considering where she was, any normal song seemed inappropriate. Besides, it was boring. While she was here, she could do so much better. It was the way sound moved here. So much more... well, it was hard to describe. Clear. Accurate. Easy... it all didn't do much justice to the real thing. The point was that she was able to control her voice to a degree she hadn't thought even possible. Not only how loud she was singing, but where the sound seemed to come from, and even where her sound reached.

And so Musalis sang. But no sound was heard, not yet. Sound doesn't add the same way other things do. Two sound-waves overlapping can add to each other... or subtract, leaving silence while they overlap. Yet while there is nothing to be heard, the original sounds are still there, and can be heard back if the waves seperate. And this principle of interference was what Musalis was using. She was carefully singing her song in a way that balanced it with itself – while she was singing. After a while, with still no sound of her song having been heard in the room, she finished.

The balance broke. The entire song, filling the room, was no longer silent. It all erupted at the same time, an entire song in an instant. Musalis listened, and smiled. Even better than she had imagined it. Of course, as it all mingled together, so it would be hard to understand. She did, because she knew what she had sung, and the Gods... well, they were Gods, after all.

"Here I am, and this is where I pray
I ask you to listen what I have to say
I search for answers in my quest
Around the world without much rest
No time for mirth nor time to play

I ask that you clear the road for me
Guide my eyes to what I need to see
Guide my steps to where I need to go
And that the way you to me show
All the way to where I need to be

Here I am, and this is where I pray
I ask you to listen what I have to say