It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 'Borrowing' Gold (vs Saw)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

The drifter's stomach rumbled again as he leaned up against a wall on the market street. He had no idea what the name of the town was but it was fairly prosperous, judging from the constantly flow of people going by. The drifter wasn't really proud of, or all that good at, the reasons he was watching all the people but he really hadn't expected his new lifestyle to be so lacking in the areas concerning food. After his run in with a very angry animal woman, he had been really shy about getting back to hunting any animal that looked like it could fight back. Which pretty much left him with vegetables that he couldn't identify and animals with more bones than meat. He was pretty sure his stomach was going to cave in at any moment.

So the drifter was eying the crowd in the hopes of seeing some one who would be too drunk or preoccupied to notice or could afford to lose a pouch full of gold. So far, he had tried and failed twice. He managed to talk his way out of the first one and just ran from the second time. His upbringing had taught him how to spot a pickpocket and protect his gold but the knowledge didn't translate well into the other side of the equation. But he was too proud to beg so it was this or another night of trying to raid a farmer's stockpile. And his last attempt at that had left him with a crossbow bolt sized hole in his shirt.

Focusing on the crowd again, the drifter tried to find another mark. He really had no idea what to look for. He was really hoping to find a blackout drunk slob with a gold pouch the size of his head. But the chances that anyone would have that much gold left after getting as drunk as the drifter needed for them not to notice, was effectively zero. But it was a decent way to pass the day. The weather was gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky but cool enough that he wasn't even breaking a sweat in his armor. Taking another look across the crowd, the flash of gold caught the drifter's eye. Looking back to where he saw the gold, the drifter caught a few more glimpses of it. It was a short, frail looking elf carrying a golden staff. The man looked small enough that the drifter could take him in a fight but the gold staff made him possibly rich enough that the drifter wouldn't care as much if he managed to pick his pocket. And his hair was absolutely wild. It looked like the elf had spent some time working as a lightening rod.

Deciding it was as good a mark as any, the drifter pushed off the wall and started to head towards the unusual looking elf. Trying to look as nonchalant as possible, the drifter kept his eyes down so the elf wouldn't notice the attention.

Post subject: Re: 'Borrowing' Gold (vs Saw)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 pm 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

Sorry about how long this took to get up, school decided to kidnap my free time
------------
The day was just perfect. It was a perfect temperature with the sun smiling down upon the face of the earth and not a cloud in the sky. It was through this day that Infineon walked with a contented smile. He had just finished preparations for the first part of his glorious cathedral and had converted a group of followers on the way, so he was pleased with his day’s work.

As Infineon walked through the main streets on the way through the city he watched everyone intently, looking for anyone who looked suspicious or out of place, and kept well clear of them. A couple of times Infineon nonchalantly batted away the obvious pickpockets who were attracted by his gold-coloured staff, even he carried very little actual money on his person. After buying goods for his trip back to the site of the cathedral Infineon dropped off the goods with his followers before heading back out into the market square to requisition a couple more things before he would leave the city.

As he walked along a busy street in the market district Infineon noticed a VERY shady looking man trying very unsuccessfully to look nonchalant and unnoticeable, unfortunately for him, his intention was clear to a seasoned traveller such as Infineon. As he passed the man Infineon saw him move away from the wall out of the corner of his eye. Knowing that if it came to a fight, there was a high chance that a civilian would be hurt, Infineon started heading out of the small town and into the cleared land around in the countryside.

Once Infineon thought that he had gotten a fair distance away from the town he called over his shoulder, sure that the man would still be around to hear judging by his apparent lack of pickpocketing skill.

“If it was money you were in need of, the Gods could provide all you could need if you were to pledge yourself to their service, unfortunate traveller…”
--------------------
Starayah is flying overhead at high altitude, keeping tabs on the situation
Infineon is still walking along the road that leads out of town
Stress: 0/6

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 am 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

(You're lucky the drifter is a sucky pick pocket. They wouldn't normally follow some one out of a crowd into an open area where some one could easily follow them.)

Oh, this is too convenient, he is even going somewhere people won't be watching so I can just beat the stuffing out of him if he resists.

Nonchalantly as possible, the drifter shuffled after the man with the golden staff. He was pretty successful at keeping a minimum of five yards between them at all times, so as not to raise suspicions. He followed the winding path the man took, stopping occasionally to act like he was checking out a good here or there. He tried to hang back farther as the crowd started to thin out but he kept losing the man around corners. So the drifter kept to the five yard rule, even if it was making him stick out more. That gold staff was making it worth it.

Eventually, the man the drifter was trailing took the road right out of town. There was no one around, hence there was no one for the drifter to try and blend in with. So the drifter dropped all pretense of acting like he wasn't following the man. There was no one around to see what he was about to do and no where for the man to run to. So it was a perfectly convenient place to have it out.

“If it was money you were in need of, the Gods could provide all you could need if you were to pledge yourself to their service, unfortunate traveler…”

Crap, so he knew I was following him. Oh well, still doesn't help him.

"Sorry, but I already have a God, even if I don't exactly follow what he teaches any more. And besides, every religion I know accepts donations. They don't give them. Seems slightly contrary to why you and I are here right now. But if you want to prove your point, you can start by donating that staff of yours and any gold you have on you. I'm really sorry about this but I'm really hungry and am kind of wary of hunting animals for reasons I would rather not go into."

While he said this, the drifter propped his staff across his shoulders, behind his head. Grabbing it with both hands, the drifter just held it there. It was a pretty non-threatening stance while keeping him at ready. He was more than willing to give the man a chance to prove his point. And if the drifter actually did get his gold, it would mean the drifter would have a convenient source of money if he fell on more hard times. He could play obedient servant to a false god if it got him fed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 am 
I'm on highscores!
I'm on highscores!

That was the intention :P I was counting on that. I’ll be more punctual from now on, I have much less work to do, sorry about the wait.
---------------
"Sorry, but I already have a God, even if I don't exactly follow what he teaches any more. And besides, every religion I know accepts donations. They don't give them. Seems slightly contrary to why you and I are here right now. But if you want to prove your point, you can start by donating that staff of yours and any gold you have on you. I'm really sorry about this but I'm really hungry and am kind of wary of hunting animals for reasons I would rather not go into."

Infineon looked over the man as he spoke. He seemed to be ordinary enough, and yet there was something about him that Infineon thought was out of place from a basic pickpocket. He seemed too well built, too powerful to be an everyday pickpocket. There was one thing that Infineon garnered with a certainty, that this man was either lying about his beliefs, or followed a God Infineon had never encountered before.

Infineon grinned, he knew a lost cause when he saw one, but it never hurt to try…

“How rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Infineon, Avatar of the Gods of the Storm. In regard to your question, my God retains a strong presence in the physical world, he provides all we need, we do not need offerings, we merely try to spread Their truth. When our Grand Cathedral is finished, all believers will be welcome, yourself included. As to giving you the staff…sadly I cannot help you, since I am unwilling to give up my staff of office, but you are free to prove your worth”

With those words, Infineon smiled and slid into a defensive position, and began casting a spell [Mach Gust (Casting)]. Infineon sent up a prayer for guidance as he began casting, calling to his Gods to guide his weapon during the fight. Then he opened his eyes, just as Starayah came swooping down from above.
---------------
All this time Infineon had been talking, Starayah had been circling above. When she saw Infineon begin casting, creating a perfect distraction, she descended from on high, diving in from behind Infineon’s opponent at a 25 degree angle, aiming directly at the right side of the man’s back. If her attack succeeded, she would drag her claws along the man’s side, just under the ribcage, weakening him before the fight even started.
-----------------
Infineon is standing with his staff held in one hand, slowly casting Mach Gust (Which looks like a ball of air coalescing in his hand)
Starayah is dive-bombing as described, and is about 3m away from you at the end of this post.
Stress: 0(1)/6
Mach Gust: 0(1)/4

"Little solace comes to those who grieve/When thoughts keep drifting, when walls keep shifting/And this great blue world of ours seems like a house of leaves/Moments before the wind." ~House of Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm 
What's parapet for?
What's parapet for?

(Sorry about that delay. Assembly language programming and midterms need to play together in traffic.)

“How rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Infineon, Avatar of the Gods of the Storm. In regard to your question, my God retains a strong presence in the physical world, he provides all we need, we do not need offerings, we merely try to spread Their truth. When our Grand Cathedral is finished, all believers will be welcome, yourself included. As to giving you the staff…sadly I cannot help you, since I am unwilling to give up my staff of office, but you are free to prove your worth”

Great, another evangelist. Didn't they ever realize yelling loudly and saying how grand their god was over other gods was really just annoying?

"Of course you think your god has a strong presence in this world. Any cloud in the sky is a sign that he might be there. But on this occasion, we are on my god's turf. And even though we don't see eye to eye, I can't escape his teachings. They were literally beat into me, over and over again, until I could be them back into the priests. And my worth isn't what I need to prove here. I just need to prove that your money pouch better belongs on my hip."

The drifter was just about to launch himself forward when he was suddenly jumped from behind. A small weight dug itself into his back and dragged his weight back. What ever it was was to pierce into his leather armor but it didn't have enough weight to tear down through it. The drifter could feel the tips of what ever it was poking through his armor but it was only just far enough to raise a few cuts as the drifter tried to shake it out.

When that didn't work, the drifter decided to go for a swing to try and take out who ever just tried to stab him. Letting go with his right hand, the drifter reached across his body and grabbed his staff so that he was holding it like a baseball bat across his left shoulder. Swinging the staff wide, the drifter made a hundred and eighty degree swing, hitting nothing but air. Confused as hell what was stuck in his back, the drifter took the moment to create some distance between himself, the priest, and what might be a ninja.

That doesn't sounds like the start of a joke. So, a priest, a drifter, and a ninja are standing in the middle of the road...

Kicking off with one foot, the drifter launched himself backwards. He landed on the edge of the road about two and a half yards from where he started. [Spring-heeled Jack] From where he was, the drifter could keep an eye on where he had been standing and see the priest out of corner of his eye. Trying not to miss what was going on, the drifter kept looking forward while he reached behind his back with his right hand to try and pull out what ever weapon was buried in his armor.